Amazon offers lossless and high bit rate streaming

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any library shortcomings you've noticed?
If you mean "are they lacking in Tool content?" then no. :p

I haven't really looked for any deep cuts yet, but the few things I looked for I found.

*Edit: I just found "Fred Green" and that's about as deep as cuts get. I've had trouble finding them on YouTube.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you mean "are they lacking in Tool content?" then no. :p

I haven't really looked for any deep cuts yet, but the few things I looked for I found.

*Edit: I just found "Fred Green" and that's about as deep as cuts get. I've had trouble finding them on YouTube.
I'd think their library would be good as someone else I think mentioned. That was one thing I was disappointed with Tidal as I looked for things I had on Spotify....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'd think their library would be good as someone else I think mentioned. That was one thing I was disappointed with Tidal as I looked for things I had on Spotify....
It’s pretty painless to try it. There’s a ton of content.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s pretty painless to try it. There’s a ton of content.
After I got the free blurb to trial it I noticed it was also warning me my current library on Amazon was about to go bye-bye, and downloading was a real pain so I said screw that :) I might later. Are downloads for sale available and at what price? Or can you download to device/computer for free?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
After I got the free blurb to trial it I noticed it was also warning me my current library on Amazon was about to go bye-bye, and downloading was a real pain so I said screw that :) I might later. Are downloads for sale available and at what price? Or can you download to device/computer for free?
Well I’m unlimited level and added HD trial so I’ve always been able to download anything to my iphone or iPad for offline music. I got a fire stick a few days ago so I don’t need to stream across to my gear in my small theater room / den. (Also supports HBO Now app, which TiVo dropped VOD so needed something for that anyhow).

I don’t have a computer currently that I own but want to get one soon. My work blocks websites at their firewall.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I’m unlimited level and added HD trial so I’ve always been able to download anything to my iphone or iPad for offline music. I got a fire stick a few days ago so I don’t need to stream across to my gear in my small theater room room / den. (Also supports Xfinity app, which TiVo dropped VOD so needed something for that anyhow).

I don’t have a computer currently that I own but want to get one soon. My work blocks websites at their firewall.
I already have a couple fire sticks and can put the app on a couple phones so access in general probably not an issue, altho I don't know if all my avrs/bluray players have the app as much as Spotify. I could give a crap about the Ultra HD or whatever they're calling the alleged hi-res content. But if I could buy CDs at a reasonable price via download, that could be interesting and push me away from Spotify. Save the world some plastic at least.

Last place I worked had an IT guy who absolutely blocked any music streaming, he had little to work with and didn't see any reason to bog the system down further. One day the boss (son of majority owner) started some massive download and brought the system down, hilarious.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I already have a couple fire sticks and can put the app on a couple phones so access in general probably not an issue, altho I don't know if all my avrs/bluray players have the app as much as Spotify. I could give a crap about the Ultra HD or whatever they're calling the alleged hi-res content. But if I could buy CDs at a reasonable price via download, that could be interesting and push me away from Spotify. Save the world some plastic at least.

Last place I worked had an IT guy who absolutely blocked any music streaming, he had little to work with and didn't see any reason to bog the system down further. One day the boss (son of majority owner) started some massive download and brought the system down, hilarious.
I have full bars of 4G LTE and unlimited data on my phone so I still get music. :)

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I just signed up running amazon via my phone and streaming on thru my Apple TV on airplay. My sample rate is 48 kHz. Is that right. Sorry a big dummy on this stuff. I was lost through most of this thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So I just signed up running amazon via my phone and streaming on thru my Apple TV on airplay. My sample rate is 48 kHz. Is that right. Sorry a big dummy on this stuff. I was lost through most of this thread
48K is the default sample rate for Apple digital bit streams. I'm not sure if ApplePlay 2 and Apple TB support 24/192 audio, or anything over 16/48. IMO, the difference isn't audible anyway.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So If I signed up currently I’m not seeing any advantage. If I upgrade my Apple TV or. Fire Device will I see the difference.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
To clarify. I just signed up for the Amazon Higher Service

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So If I signed up currently I’m not seeing any advantage. If I upgrade my Apple TV or. Fire Device will I see the difference.
I don't know. Apple FLAC format supports 24/192K audio, so Apple supports hi-res at some level, but I'm not sure if ApplePlay does.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

From iPhone to Apple TV 4K sucks.

Get a fire tv 4K stick. It’s $25 with the promo code right now.

I’m really enjoying mine. :)

Edit: it’s max 24/48 though but it sounds great.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Apple supports FLAC...or you meant ALAC?
Apple supports FLAC, and FLAC supports 24/192, I'm just not sure which Apple products support 24/192, I know Macs do (because Intel does), but iPhones and Apple TV? I haven't been able to find supporting documentation in an admittedly short and lazy look.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Apple supports FLAC, and FLAC supports 24/192, I'm just not sure which Apple products support 24/192, I know Macs do (because Intel does), but iPhones and Apple TV? I haven't been able to find supporting documentation in an admittedly short and lazy look.
Thanks, seem to remember when I used iTunes and an iPod it wasn't supported....so assumed Apple was similar generally.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like the Fire Stick 4K is now saying 16/48 so maybe it was never 24/48. I could have sworn it was 24 but maybe not. :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the Fire Stick 4K is now saying 16/48 so maybe it was never 24/48. I could have sworn it was 24 but maybe not. :)
16/48 appears to be the bitstream format choice for all of the devices I've encountered that aren't explicitly hi-res, like my digital recorders. Though even my Tascam recorders default to 16/48.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis