Amazon offers lossless and high bit rate streaming

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Might check input assignments in the avr, too.
Thanks, after further reviewing the sound options in the Windows sound settings in the Advanced tab for the AVR-X5200, it only shows movie related options, such as various permutations of Dolby and DTS formats. No other options, so I guess the 5200 just won't play the Amazon Music output.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, after further reviewing the sound options in the Windows sound settings in the Advanced tab for the AVR-X5200, it only shows movie related options, such as various permutations of Dolby and DTS formats. No other options, so I guess the 5200 just won't play the Amazon Music output.
What Windows version? I just plugged an hdmi into my laptop (W10) and it automatically started using it but the interface has been dumbed down by Microsoft it seems since the last time I used it (which was with another W10 computer so think its an update),and when I go into settings it already shows my Denon 4520 and when I play something on spotify it played fine (telling spotify I'm using the computer rather than wifi to the 4520)...@Pogre what did you have to do in yours to set audio parameters?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
What Windows version? I just plugged an hdmi into my laptop (W10) and it automatically started using it but the interface has been dumbed down by Microsoft it seems since the last time I used it (which was with another W10 computer so think its an update),and when I go into settings it already shows my Denon 4520 and when I play something on spotify it played fine (telling spotify I'm using the computer rather than wifi to the 4520)...@Pogre what did you have to do in yours to set audio parameters?
Windows 10. It works for video, but not for audio. IOW, when I plug the HDMI cable into the laptop, it syncs up the video right away, which I can see on the TV screen. But no audio, which would be consistent with what I saw in the sound settings Advanced tab.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Windows 10. It works for video, but not for audio. IOW, when I plug the HDMI cable into the laptop, it syncs up the video right away, which I can see on the TV screen. But no audio, which would be consistent with what I saw in the sound settings Advanced tab.
My HP laptop has a window under audio control (selected from the start menu) that has an advanced tab from HP. I don't see one on the Windows side of things, but if I go into Settings (right click on the start button) and search for "sound" and check output devices, it's either the 4520 or the speaker/headphone jack, what does yours show? Mine already had the 4520 selected....but at one point I had to select that (I think even with W10 but it may have been a version of 8....been a while as I usually just use wifi). Does Amazon Music have an available device section like spotify does?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't remember, I did it a while ago. To get to the player I go into settings/system/sound. On the right there's a "sound control panel" in text. I click that and it brings up a little window with my player. From there I can select speakers or Marantz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't remember, I did it a while ago. To get to the player I go into settings/system/sound. On the right there's a "sound control panel" in text. I click that and it brings up a little window with my player. From there I can select speakers or Marantz.
Does Amazon Music have the selection of available devices and did you have to select anything particular there?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Anybody know if current Fire cube or new Fire cube coming out soon support 24/96 or 24/192?

My Fire 4K Stick is only doing 24/48 (but still sounds great.)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
My HP laptop has a window under audio control (selected from the start menu) that has an advanced tab from HP. I don't see one on the Windows side of things, but if I go into Settings (right click on the start button) and search for "sound" and check output devices, it's either the 4520 or the speaker/headphone jack, what does yours show? Mine already had the 4520 selected....but at one point I had to select that (I think even with W10 but it may have been a version of 8....been a while as I usually just use wifi). Does Amazon Music have an available device section like spotify does?
Oops, doh! It just dawned on me that I have to set the PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC to its Home Theater bypass setting in order to hear anything at all from the Denon AVR.

Having made that setting, Amazon Music is now playing 24/96 over HDMI to the Denon 5200! And now playing Frank Sinatra at 24/192. Now I will be able to compare the DAC in the Denon to that of the PS Audio. I do need to get a 15 foot HDMI cable to be able to compare from the listening position. If the sound is equal or better with the Denon, I can sell the PS Audio.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anybody know if current Fire cube or new Fire cube coming out soon support 24/96 or 24/192?

My Fire 4K Stick is only doing 24/48 (but still sounds great.)
My box will only do 16/44. It's been getting ignored lately... lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm all hardwired. The only devices I have on wifi are my phone and tablet.
Just curious about the UI options on Amazon Music, I may try it just to see if it can be as useful as spotify....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curious about the UI options on Amazon Music, I may try it just to see if it can be as useful as spotify....
I like the UI enough that I'm starting to warm up to the service. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty slick. I much prefer it to the UI for the FireTV.

I've never had unlimited with Amazon before and there's a lot more available. Plus the HD is legit good. I spent a couple of days A/B-ing between it and my ripped CD WAV files. I struggle to hear the difference. I *think* my rips sound just a tiny bit better, but it's not night and day. Could easily be chalked up as a half dB difference in levels between the 2 apps (Foobar and Amazon HD).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, nice GUI. Thing that sells me on Amazon is the size of their catalog (as well as price, if you're a Prime member already). Been able to find just about everything, from mainstream rock/pop to obscure classical to 80s/90s rock tracks that I couldn't find elsewhere. I'll take those hard-to-find tracks even in mp3. What's Google Play Music's catalog like?
Pretty similar. They are supposedly doing away with Google Play Music in favor of YouTube Music, but it hasn't happened yet. YT music has a huge catalog, but so does Google Play Music. I haven't had trouble finding something in quite a while.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Does Amazon Music have the selection of available devices and did you have to select anything particular there?
It uses whatever the default sound device is set to. I have a monitor with speakers I don't use along side my DAC. The DAC is set as default and supports up to 24/96 (which was already set) and the Amazon Music app recognized this without issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It uses whatever the default sound device is set to. I have a monitor with speakers I don't use along side my DAC. The DAC is set as default and supports up to 24/96 (which was already set) and the Amazon Music app recognized this without issue.
Hmmm....not sure that's answering my question. This is a computer or phone or ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the UI enough that I'm starting to warm up to the service. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty slick. I much prefer it to the UI for the FireTV.

I've never had unlimited with Amazon before and there's a lot more available. Plus the HD is legit good. I spent a couple of days A/B-ing between it and my ripped CD WAV files. I struggle to hear the difference. I *think* my rips sound just a tiny bit better, but it's not night and day. Could easily be chalked up as a half dB difference in levels between the 2 apps (Foobar and Amazon HD).
Any library shortcomings you've noticed?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis