Amazon Fire TV Cube to Replace Your Remote Controls?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Let's face it, remote control clutter is a problem most audiophiles face. Programming a good universal remote control can be a daunting task. Amazon is hoping to remove that annoyance with their new Fire TV Cube. The Amazon Fire TV Cube combines the media-streaming capabilities of the company’s previous Fire TV devices with the voice-activated simplicity of its Echo line of smart speakers and costs $120. The Fire TV Cube is being touted to have a unique ability to control the other devices in your system, including televisions, AV receivers, and even cable boxes. Instead of fiddling with a bunch of remotes, you can just tell Alexa to turn your system on or off, change inputs, adjust volume, and play specific content across a wide selection of compatible apps.

amazon.jpg

Read: Amazon Fire TV Cube Preview

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My Logitech Harmony controls all my devices nicely and I don't need to talk to it. :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just can’t give up my DVR. I am so addicted to my TiVo DVR and the ability to skip commercials on prime time shows with one touch of the green button, that I forgive its other warts.

I did really prefer the image on the directv now app on my streamer (Apple 4K TV),but in the end, the mighty green button won and I ended my Directv Now subscription. I still use the Apple 4K TV as a streamer though.

If Directv or AMZN or anybody can get that TiVo skip feature on a cloud DVR or appliance DVR, I would convert for an all in one solution. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh dear... another smart device listening to everything? Our smartphones are bad enough. Maybe if we could truly internalize our smart homes to not broadcast outward. Amazon, Apple, Samsung, etc don't need to know everything. Perhaps if we truly had privacy control and we each had our own in-home Micronet-of-things with the ability to adjust from total privacy on the one side, to allowing our fridge to order from amazon whenever it sensed that our heinz57 was low on the other?
Yes, I'm the guy that puts post-its over my iMac camera, keeps my location services off, and doesn't turn on the TVs microphone. I don't have an echo or a dot or homepods. Siri and Gmail are bad enough, for me.:rolleyes:
We have, perhaps wittingly, allowed big brother to begin, all in the name of convenience.:eek:

If you'll excuse me, I need to put my foil-wrapped bicycle helmet back on, put my phone in its faraday cage, and watch some conspiracy theory videos on youtube now.:p

Ha!

More likely I'll go catch up on a few pages Subwoofer Candy!:cool:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh dear... another smart device listening to everything? Our smartphones are bad enough. Maybe if we could truly internalize our smart homes to not broadcast outward. Amazon, Apple, Samsung, etc don't need to know everything. Perhaps if we truly had privacy control and we each had our own in-home Micronet-of-things with the ability to adjust from total privacy on the one side, to allowing our fridge to order from amazon whenever it sensed that our heinz57 was low on the other?
Yes, I'm the guy that puts post-its over my iMac camera, keeps my location services off, and doesn't turn on the TVs microphone. I don't have an echo or a dot or homepods. Siri and Gmail are bad enough, for me.:rolleyes:
We have, perhaps wittingly, allowed big brother to begin, all in the name of convenience.:eek:

If you'll excuse me, I need to put my foil-wrapped bicycle helmet back on, put my phone in its faraday cage, and watch some conspiracy theory videos on youtube now.:p

Ha!

More likely I'll go catch up on a few pages Subwoofer Candy!:cool:
They are after your secret recipes. :)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Not gotta have it!

The 4K stick can do everything the cube can do plus one more HDR codec.

Jacob, please reconsider your conclusion on this one.

MusicCityTiger

MusicCityTiger

Audiophyte
Had one, replaced it with (much faster / more responsive / and cheaper) FireTV Stick 4K. Cube has slower processor and constant issues with Hulu Live TV and other apps that all work fine on the Stick and older FireTV Gen 2. I think they piled too much fluff into the Cube with that slow processor. Maybe the next version of the Cube will actually be worth it, but not worth it at all vs. the Stick 4K right now, especially if you already have an Alexa Echo or Dot in your home.

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
At one time I'd never woulda owned an echo, but ended up receiving on for Christmas.....
I'll be danged if I don't use that sucker all the time for convenience of music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis