Amazon Fire Stick and A/V Receiver question

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
I'm in the process of setting up my new A/V receiver, and wonder if I can just plug my Amazon Firestick into one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR? Or do I need to leave it plugged into one of the HDMI inputs directly on the TV? My only concern is making sure I get the sound through the AVR while watching Netflix.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With it plugged into the TV, unless you have ARC turned on, you will only get sound from the TV. ARC can pass audio to the receiver from the TV via HDMI. The other side of that being if it is plugged into the AVR, you may have to have the AVR on to view from this device so it will get power.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Either option will work.

Are you powering the Fire Stick through the AVR's USB or with a wall wart adapter? Does your receiver pass through HDMI?

If powering with wall wart and yes to pass through, then use an AVR HDMI input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd use the avr. You may be restricting the audio format if you plug it into the tv, too. What avr and what tv, make/model always makes things easier to get better answers....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those units are often already audio format limited similar to a TV, so depending on the model, it may not matter that the TV would limit it.

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
Thank you for all the replies!

It is a Yamaha TSR-7790, and appears to support HDMI pass through, and the Firestick has a wall wart powering it. The TV is a 9 Y/O Samsung HD TV, need to check if it even has ARC. Previously I had the Firestick just plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the TV, but now want a nice clean set-up if possible, and run the audio through the A/V system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try it on the receiver first since that is probably better of the two choices given that the TV is older.

M

Mango Jerry

Enthusiast
Update: Plugged the Firestick directly into the HDMI3 input of the receiver and it works perfectly.

Thanks again for all responses!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis