Am I throwing good money away?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This knee jerk reaction, that all bass loss can be solved by more and or bigger subs needs to stop...sub range is only a small percentage of the FR perceived as bass...between 80 Hz and 400 Hz is absolutely crucial to perception of bass quality...
Wait, what, you mean people don't need the biggest baddest subs from Seaton or JTR for great bass? :D

Kidding aside, I do agree with you 100% that people don't NECESSARILY need bigger and more subs for great bass.

In fact, some people don't even NEED subs if they have ACTIVE speakers (with EXTERNAL amps, of course :D) with dual 10" or 12" woofers.

The salient part is usually the setup/implementation/integration of the system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My 10" subwoofer for my 12 X 10 basement room area is at 1/4 gain, for my listening pleasure. My set-up is perfect for my listening pleasure w my specific Klipsch Speakers. The AVR has all audio adjustments turned off.

With the AVR auto speaker microphone calibration, I have balance that is most acceptable for my small area of the basement. The whole 30 X 40 basement area is carpeted with concrete walls and bare rafters. The front speakers are 8 feet from the listening area along with the 55". The surrounds are a little behind my head with the tweeters 20" above my head angled down. The front L/R tweeters are at my head level.

For someone like @mazersteven, to disapprove of ALL Klipsch subwoofers, as a blanket statement, is very misinformed. IMHO. AMEN!
Something to consider is your use case. Maybe your material isn’t very demanding, or volume levels are sane! You could also have been lucky and found a good FR with the placement used, or possibly don’t know what you’re missing.
In any case, it’s nice that you’re satisfied with the Klipsch 10” you have, but speaking from my own personal experience, as are the others here, IMO it doesn’t cut the mustard, nor do subs have to match speakers for any reason other than looks. Conversely, the sunfire in the OP wouldn’t work in my main room either, but would ABSOLUTELY be an upgrade for my kids small media room subs, or even my bedroom sub for that matter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My 10" subwoofer for my 12 X 10 basement room area is at 1/4 gain, for my listening pleasure. My set-up is perfect for my listening pleasure w my specific Klipsch Speakers. The AVR has all audio adjustments turned off.

With the AVR auto speaker microphone calibration, I have balance that is most acceptable for my small area of the basement. The whole 30 X 40 basement area is carpeted with concrete walls and bare rafters. The front speakers are 8 feet from the listening area along with the 55". The surrounds are a little behind my head with the tweeters 20" above my head angled down. The front L/R tweeters are at my head level.
For someone like @mazersteven, to disapprove of ALL Klipsch subwoofers, as a blanket statement, is very misinformed. IMHO. AMEN!
I think Klipsch has 1 line of subs consisting 3 sizes that are okay, but a bit overpriced, imo. The 110SW, 112SW and 115SW, that exact designation (SW). I would not want the 115W or RPW, etc. I see they now have some THX certified models also, but I'm not familiar with them. So you really have to make sure you pick the right one. If you can find a special or good sale on one of them I'd be okay owning one, but I still believe you can do better with Hsu, bang for buck.

Matching speaker brands to subwoofers isn't as critical as matching speaker to speaker with say, the front 3 speakers. A good sub is a good sub and I often recommend going with companies that specialize in making them. There are a few sub manufacturers who make very good loudspeakers also tho. SVS and Hsu both have some very nice speakers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
This knee jerk reaction, that all bass loss can be solved by more and or bigger subs needs to stop. This is simply not true, and I'm pretty sue in this case it is not true.
Sub doesn't necessarily need to be bigger. But there are Very few 10" subs that have acceptable performance.

I disapprove of All Klipsch subwoofers because no matter the Price Point there are Better subs that have better Design, better Components used, better Craftsmanship, better Customer Service, and better Performance. As someone else mentioned, maybe you just don't know.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone. I turned off majority of the magical room correcting options. And removed sub all together. Results were actually very impressive. The front stage never sounded that dynamic nor deep before. Heck even the surround channel was improved.

that said I sold the AVR and bought a pair of rp500sa atmos speakers. And still deciding on which receiver to buy .

and might actually buy a 2nd sun fire sub or forgo a sub for now.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Just an update... as I typically don’t like open ended threads ha.

bought a denon x4500H and it’s a beautiful beast of an AVR.

plugged in two matching atmos speakers as well.

sound quality after setting up the denon and running their auto tune setup. Is pure bliss. No sub is connected so far and I’ve never been more pleased with the sound quality. Still adjusting the front L/R speakers. But love this setup.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just an update... as I typically don’t like open ended threads ha.

bought a denon x4500H and it’s a beautiful beast of an AVR.

plugged in two matching atmos speakers as well.

sound quality after setting up the denon and running their auto tune setup. Is pure bliss. No sub is connected so far and I’ve never been more pleased with the sound quality. Still adjusting the front L/R speakers. But love this setup.
I thought you like the gorgeous Marantz?? You made a good decision if you don't worry about those 8K stuff that likely wouldn't work anyway by the time it gets popular. You also made an excellent choice going with Denon in terms of sound quality related specs. Whether it is audible or not, you can at least feel good that the Denon should have much better measurements in THD+N, IMD, among others than the SR7013, because on bench tests of similar models. I own both and like both, but there is no denying that Denon's team if more objective in not bothering with the redundant HDAM modules that in theory would do more harm than good.

The only thing I would suggest now is, give room EQ another chance, you may be surprised how good Audyssey XT32 is especially if you have two subs, one on each side, and use the Editor App ($20 download) to limit the EQ frequency to about 600 Hz or lower. And use DEQ as ADTG suggested before, if you don't listen very loud.

It's kind of doing this backward, but I'll be curious to know if you are giving those big Klipsch the juice they need. My guess is, you are, but to be sure, would be great to see your results with the calculator below:

Just a few notes though:

- When entering speaker sensitivity, whatever the Klipsch spec sheet says, subject 6 dB, e.g. if it is 98 dB, enter 92 dB instead.
- For no. of speaker, just enter 1 for now.

If you report back the result, I can tell you in high confidence level that whether you need an external amp.

In any case, sine you mentioned you want you new AVR to last for a long time, then please product your >$1,000 new asset, with a $11 fan. Just put one on top if the AVR has the recommended space to vent, if not, put two. You can't rely on the build in fans because by the time they kick in, longevity might have already taken a hit.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU, or go bigger for cooler:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis