Always look inside your oven before turning it on

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Last year there was an explosion in a Swedish apartment, and looking at the damage, many thought it was a bomb. The police found out that it was due to spray cans placed in an electric oven and the owner forgot that when turning it on. No gas was used for cooking or heating as is the case for the vast majority of Swedish households.

I was surprised to see the power of some spray cans in an oven!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the real message should be :
Do not store pressurized cans in your oven!

I worked a plastics plant and we would sometimes need to purge an injection molding machine (run all of the molten plastic out of it) to be able to disassemble it for service. It happened about once a year that someone threw away empty spray cans of mold release, etc and we had such an explosion. Usually they were of no consequence, because this was in a heavy dumpster sitting outside a warehouse bay, but it was not uncommon to see where some of the molten plastic got thrown back into the building from the explosion which would suck if it hit you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Who the hell stores pressurized spray cans in the oven?! That's like storing your hair dryer in the bathtub!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Who the hell stores pressurized spray cans in the oven?! That's like storing your hair dryer in the bathtub!
People do potentially dangerous things all the time, I'm afraid, thought it isn't all that obvious sometimes that it could be dangerous, though this one was a bit spectacular. This has to be learned, though. In many cases it's just a bad decision made in an absent-minded way, being tired or just not reading the instruction manual.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
People do potentially dangerous things all the time, I'm afraid, thought it isn't all that obvious sometimes that it could be dangerous, though this one was a bit spectacular. This has to be learned, though. In many cases it's just a bad decision made in an absent-minded way, being tired or just not reading the instruction manual.
Yes, but that case above I think that was the person's practice to store them there. There seems to be a good number of cans in the oven.
Can't even imagine what he was thinking.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The spray-can-in-oven person as 28 old woman that told the police that she just put them there temporary and forgot about them when she wanted to bake. Neither she, a man, a cat or a dog was injured. She is indicted.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I can understand using the oven in a small RV for storage but never an oven in a residence. Spray paint storage? LOL :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
When I was a kid, we used to collect empty spray cans, build bonfires and chuck them in. Paint and Lysol cans were the best because the contents were flammable. Great fun! We played safe though - we'd hide behind a rock or a tree while we waited for them to blow up real good. :oops::D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Last year there was an explosion in a Swedish apartment, and looking at the damage, many thought it was a bomb. The police found out that it was due to spray cans placed in an electric oven and the owner forgot that when turning it on. No gas was used for cooking or heating as is the case for the vast majority of Swedish households.

I was surprised to see the power of some spray cans in an oven!

Yet another "Darwin Award" winner!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Went to Phoenix for a wedding in the late-'80s and stayed with the groom's brother & his family. At the time, they really didn't use the oven much, so one of the others who were staying there decided that it would be funny to hide a rubber chicken inside. It was an electric oven, so there wasn't much danger.

They didn't find it for over six months. We got some pretty funny phone calls about that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis