Altec Lansing model 4 speakers

V

Vegastwin1124

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I'm new here I'm trying to find out the value of my Altec Lansing speakers they say model 4 mantaray on the boxes and the speakers say 9-8c 024201 on them.They have a a high frequency knob on them also thank you for your time

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all,
I'm new here I'm trying to find out the value of my Altec Lansing speakers they say model 4 mantaray on the boxes and the speakers say 9-8c 024201 on them.They have a a high frequency knob on them also thank you for your time
Did you check on eBay to see if there were some? Could you post a photo of one of them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Check audiogon and hifishark as well as ebay for sold items to get an idea....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,
Those speakers are from the late seventies to early eighties, when Altec were already going into decline, and where sold in 2001. Eventually ending up in the hands of Sparkomatic.

Here is the brochure of the time.

The speaker consists of a vented 10" driver, crossed at 2000Hz to a small sectoral horn. Fs is 60 Hz, and sensitivity 90db. Impedance is 8 ohm
So the woofer will be crossed well into its break up range.

Although a rare speaker, it is typical of the later products that sent Altec Lansing into decline and sealed its fate.

I can not find any completed sales, but one for $800 a pair, and another for $448 a pair, but the sales failed to complete.

I would put a value on these speakers at between $100 and $200 for the pair. However you could get lucky, and find a collector who really wants them. That is doubtful, as these speakers would not be high on the list of collectors of the Altec Lansing line.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Also, with the years, there is a strong possibility that the woofers need a new foam surround which is unavailable at present. The replacement foam needs to have the same compliance as the original one, otherwise the performance would be strongly affected.

I agree that those no longer represent a great value.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis