Almost there... the long haul.

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Wife and I bought a house with a unfinished basement... soo yea - you guessed it. HT Room!
But here's the catch ... Have to finish the basement to get there.
Started this project .. 3-4+ yrs ago... been so long ago now I don't remember exactly when anymore.

After years of design and consideration and construction I'm took out my old HT equipment I haven't seen in so long. Hurray!!!
Opening my old Infinity 5.1 Surround was like xmas as I hadnt seen or heard from them in quite a while, but upon Inspection I was bummed out to find my original sub powered amp didnt make the last move.
It's Dead Jim! ( Just might resurrect it for another project down the road)

I had been researching for a Sub replacement and TV for the new HT room on this forum, and with research managed to pull the trigger on a Sub and New 4K TV to fill the Recessed Wall I designed. Looking forward to their arrival soon.

Cheers

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Managed to get some pics gathered up...

Cable drops for the future with HDMI, Optical, Cat5, Speaker Wire, the works.. I think these cables lay dormant for meybe 2 yrs before I was able to put them to use. I did run a PVC pipe from this drop which will serve as a clean cable run from the future Bar cabinet to the TV in the next room. This was mostly out of fear the cables may not survive the construction or the HDMI spec would not be up to snuff. Should make things easier to replace if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Here things have moved along with sheet rock up and starting to take shape. This is the view leading from the bar to the HT room. You can make out the TV Wall Mount I Pre-hung and recess mounted it into the recessed wall.
Turns out its mounted in the wrong place for my TV on Order 2yrs into the future. Huh ...who da thunk?

FWIW,
Back in the day... lol, I had not anticipated the TV manufacturers moving their vesa mount points from the middle center of the TV to instead a lower vesa mount point near the bottom.

More on that situation at hand a little later as its still a issue to this day :p

Attachments

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Again a better view of the HT room layout ... as the progress is in process.
The wall recess has two walls behind it with a 2" gap between them for isolation and the usual rockwool treatment along with plenty of pink fluffy itchy stuff in the joist spaces too.

Attachments

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
The HT Room Dimensions is a bit of a odd layout. Which made me skeptical about it for various reasons for a home theater room, but meets my wants for a more open floor plan as I planned to be able to watch the TV from the bar area also, which is located off to the side a bit of the HT room. Ceilings are just under 8ft.
At Roughly 1300+ cubic feet plus the open area, I think the Sub on order will perform well.

Attachments

Last edited:
Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
For a better perspective here is a look from the Bar (and its progress) into the HT room.
In the top right corner of the first pic I wanted to black out the recess in the wall and tried flat black paint..
Which still reflected light from the window in the room. So a Dark Room treatment for the Window and perhaps I may put up some Black Velvet Material in the recess to make it appear darker even in a lighted room... even better at night?... hmmm meybe

This bar took me what seems like forever to complete, but it was a hurdle that had to be done to get the basement finished before I can complete the HT room. Ton's of Maple wood and custom made cabinetry for the project. Happy with the end results but I dont think I would want to tackle that again. Wife's happy then I'm Happy. Now I can get the carpet in and finish the HT room for setup.

All cabinets designed and manufactured in that basement by myself... the saw dust was un-real some days.
Other days I just cussed at it and resorted to drinking and inhaling the vapors as a way to cope with the amount
of work I put into this so far.

Attachments

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That setup is nice. A shame you didn't do a front projector. At 12 feet, a 120" diagonal JVC would have looked amazing. Especially after dark.

Still, looks good.

Yes, a shame you put that mount up before checking the VESA pattern on the TV. Some manufacturers do indeed put their VESA pattern dead center of the display. But, just as often they do not. Having the pattern lower allows the TV to remain closer to the wall while tilting the display forward without the bottom edge of the display hitting the wall. Kind of like a hinge at the bottom instead of in the middle. There is a method to their madness. But, it can backfire.

Like I said, this is why you measure twice, install once. It is almost ALWAYS better to run cabling and power above the center of the TV location. That way if things are on center or below center, it won't impact cabling locations.

I really like your bar. I don't drink at all, but am thinking about a bar setup in my basement should I ever get off my butt and start the serious work it will all take.

Will be a really fun setup.

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words, and yes I think my post kinda serves as a cautionary tale for others.
But the book is still being written.. Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Been a while since I last updated, sorry bout that... life has a tendency to happen.
The sub arrived, speakers mounted, cabling completed. Just need a few more items for the AV cabinet. Currently I am waiting on delivery of a small vented shelf for my AV cabinet to stack my gear in a tidy manner.
AKA: Future Project Venting Cabinet - going for a DIY approach and am certainly open to cost effective ideas?

Also arrived was the original TV I ordered( a 75" btw - which I had planned the wall layout for originally in the beginning) was sent back and exchanged for a larger 85" Whooo hoo!
Installation day made me ultra nervous and was well worth researching the various unboxing videos before I performed mine. My biggest "Aha!" moment was discovering before hand that the the ceiling (being just under 8ft) is not tall enough to lift the the box straight up and off the tv/shipping-cradle inside. Had to do some planning to keep the tv as upright as possible and not damage the tv or fresh ceiling.
Naturally I was a bit nervous and exciting to unbox and mount on a articulated wall mount, as it was watching it the first time I turned it on. As I sat back and feasted my eyes on this huge screen in all it glory I realized .. holy crap this thing can be pulled out from the wall another 3 feet closer. HAHAHA what was I thinking?!
The mount is good for 200lbs MAX. The TV itself is easily 100lbs + cable weight so its plenty sturdy but I gotta be honest... IT's Amazing sitting back in the couch and having a floating screen that close in Full 4K Dolby Vision Glory. HOWEVER....It's not a easy task to move that much mass around and repositioning it. I sure wouldn't let any old joe that wants to try it out do so without some assistance and instruction of do's n don'ts first.
Gathering some pics to share to complete this post in the near future.
Till then,

Cheers

Inspector Kemp

Inspector Kemp

Enthusiast
Here are some latest pics of the installed TV and how its mounted. I did indeed have to lower the wall mount point in order to properly accommodate the tv's lower than anticipated VESA location.
With new hole mounts drilled into the 4inchx6inch (cough ..cough wood posts) wall studs and lag bolts. I then moved on to the installation of Black Velvet Cloth which I adhered to a 3/8th inch backer board cutout to fit the back recess and surrounding walls.
To be honest, I wasn't keen with the flat black paint performance day or night... and also wasn't keen on adhering cloth directly to the Sheetrock. So I deemed it necessary for any future need to get back inside the wall for any reason, as its easily removed and re-installed without issue this way.
20201125_222436.jpg

I rarely pull the TV out from the wall TBH, but when it is fully extended.. it's extremely captivating and not unpleasant to me at all.
IMG_20210117_173039707_MP.jpg

The pictures cant really capture the distance from eyeball to screen but its in the neighborhood of 8.5ft-9ft.
View attachment 43752
The black velvet really helps to keep the focus on the TV and provided some black space to give it a bit more pop.
IMG_20210117_171818484.jpg
IMG_20210117_174049716_MP.jpg

The sub-woofer is quite heavy and buries its short stubby legs deep in the carpet and since its a bottom breather it didn't seem to have as much clearance left after settling. I propped the legs back up using some small wood squares I had handy but I suspect its float on the carpet and pad may have some performance impact to the subs output overall. I am open to suggestions/feedback if you had a similar experience .. What's a better solution?... perhaps something more solid for it to sit on? Spikes wont easily penetrate this carpet and the thick sealed pad underneath.. at least not without some permanent damage to the carpet?

The audio cabinet mounted under the bar was in need of some serious cable management and a rack to stack equipment. After some searching I settled on this metal meshed shoe rack that allows excellent venting of the equipment in the cabinet. As a bonus the shoe rack also featured sloped shelves which helps one having to get on their knees to see the equipment led screen and a led strip in the works to light it up for easier navigation as well.
IMG_20210117_181250544.jpg

So whats left to address?
1) Mount this led bar in the cabinet
2) DIY rig of some kinda of triggered auto-on cabinet venting upon power up of the equipment. (I currently have to leave the doors propped open all the time) .
3) Possibly put something of heavier mass under the subwoofer so its not floating on the carpet? (meybe/meybe not) May have zero effect on it.

Thanks for looking.. and hope you find something here of interest.. as the post says.
It was a long haul but its finished for now.

Happy 2021 Everyone - Lets hope it's a better year for us all.

I.K.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis