All things bicycle.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There's even wallymart stuff for far less. Yes, for 5k you can even get a decent mountain bike, but I'd think certainly a good cruiser/commuter. I just don't know what they are particularly as I don't follow that segment....even for non ebikes. I've seen very nice things said about Riese & Muller brand out of europe (where commuter/city/cruiser ebikes are much more numerous/popular than US).
Gotcha, any thoughts / opinions ? .............

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha, any thoughts / opinions ? .............

Never heard of the brand and they list almost no actual information about the components used. A bike is largely a sum of the components used and when they don't mention details I tend to think they just used as cheap a component set as possible. That Zoom fork I wouldn't ever want on any bike (and one of the few brands identified), I'd rather have a rigid fork (and with 4" fatties probably don't need a poor performing suspension fork in the first place). You better never run out of battery on that thing, pedaling a 75lb bike around is not likely fun even on the flats, and putting it on a bike rack could be problematic if not riding from home. Just what kind of riding do you envision? Paved trail? Dirt rail to trail conversions? Streets?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
All good points ! My intention would be a combination of 'rails to trails' , paved walking/bike trails as well as my means of getting around the various race tracks I visit as a spectator (IMSA races)

You're right, 70 plus lbs is a beast !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All good points ! My intention would be a combination of 'rails to trails' , paved walking/bike trails as well as my means of getting around the various race tracks I visit as a spectator (IMSA races)

Well all ebikes are beasts to an extent....mine is 45 lbs or so compared to my pedal only Hightower CC's 29 or so (they're similar otherwise).....but my first mountain bike, a Schwinn High Sierra back in the mid 80s, was in the 40 lb range so I'm spoiled to an extent :)

Specialized has quite a range of dfferent types of ebikes but if they're all using the motors that they use on their Levo emtbikes I'm seeing far too many reports of issues so might stay away. Yamaha and Shimano motors would be my preference in any case. Like audio, gotta do some research....find an appropriate bike forum with an ebike section perhaps or maybe even some of the dedicated ebike forums but can't recommend one (only joined one mountain bike specific one myself).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Elevation changes or flat is another consideration as to range keep in mind.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a shout out for Tadej Pogacar for what certainly looks like another resounding win in the Tour de France tomorrow....the last few mountain stages were awesome and he did well enough in today's TT. Maybe Cavendish will break Merckx' record tomorrow too....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys looking for a mountain bike for about 250 or less. Mostly for riding on street or park. Mongoose any good? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Never mind not good after watching a review

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mongoose was decent at one time back in their bmx/beginning days.....just a big box price point brand now. 250 doesn't get you a lot of bike these days....perhaps used you can do decently but prices are up since covid on new and used. For the type of riding you want to do you don't really need a mountain bike it sounds like, but you want an upright position and fatter tires perhaps?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Mongoose was decent at one time back in their bmx/beginning days.....just a big box price point brand now. 250 doesn't get you a lot of bike these days....perhaps used you can do decently but prices are up since covid on new and used. For the type of riding you want to do you don't really need a mountain bike it sounds like, but you want an upright position and fatter tires perhaps?
Dunno just wanted to upgrade to a bigger bike. The used Trek I have is ok, but wanted to upgrade to a new bike that is decent. You are right everything is going sky high now. Damn.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where are you? What size bike do you have now? What are your dimensions. Getting the right size is important.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You probably would need what is generally called a medium or large frame (I'm 5'10" and prefer a large mountain bike frame generally). You can use the Trek tool https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/mountain_buyers_guide/size/

That bike has only got 24" wheels, and usually only found on bikes meant for kids, wouldn't surprise me you're too big for it.... fwiw most now have 27.5" or 29" among the new bikes, 26" wheels was the old standard but still a lot of them out there on the used market.

I meant more what city so I could take a look at craigslist etc....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You probably would need what is generally called a medium or large frame (I'm 5'10" and prefer a large mountain bike frame generally). You can use the Trek tool https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/mountain_buyers_guide/size/

That bike has only got 24" wheels, and usually only found on bikes meant for kids, wouldn't surprise me you're too big for it.... fwiw most now have 27.5" or 29" among the new bikes, 26" wheels was the old standard but still a lot of them out there on the used market.

I meant more what city so I could take a look at craigslist etc....
It belonged to a lady's husband who passed. Actually thought it was bigger, but for the price I got it for...Hollywood, FL.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This one is the first one that looked close to budget and yet still looks reasonable altho I somewhat doubt its a carbon fiber frame from that time, but could be wrong....cann't see the model clearly enough. The fork isn't one of the best but functional. The rear shock may be serviceable, it may not (after a while Fox doesn't support them). It's only a medium size and the seat post looks to have been cut too short....but does have some good components (Chris King headset, XTR rear derailleur). https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/d/hollywood-specialized-stumpjumper/7488512513.html

Generally I'd stick to hardtails that old rather than full suspension....I'll look some more too. Sometimes bike specific forums classified sections are good places to look (mtbr.com, bikeforums.net, bikeradar.com perhaps).

ps Seems he wants to move it, was $400 in an earlier ad and he mentioned M4 model....wonder if it might be hot now

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
As usual 'Lovin' is the de-facto 'go to guy' for knowledge on all things bike related ! :)

gonna take my e-bike for a spin this afternoon !

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This one is the first one that looked close to budget and yet still looks reasonable altho I somewhat doubt its a carbon fiber frame from that time, but could be wrong....cann't see the model clearly enough. The fork isn't one of the best but functional. The rear shock may be serviceable, it may not (after a while Fox doesn't support them). It's only a medium size and the seat post looks to have been cut too short....but does have some good components (Chris King headset, XTR rear derailleur). https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/d/hollywood-specialized-stumpjumper/7488512513.html

Generally I'd stick to hardtails that old rather than full suspension....I'll look some more too. Sometimes bike specific forums classified sections are good places to look (mtbr.com, bikeforums.net, bikeradar.com perhaps).

ps Seems he wants to move it, was $400 in an earlier ad and he mentioned M4 model....wonder if it might be hot now
Thank alot HD I'll see if I can check it out this weekend. We got storms coming so will see.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys looking for a mountain bike for about 250 or less. Mostly for riding on street or park. Mongoose any good? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
If you can maintain a bike and swap parts the used market has a lot that might interest you. I found a Giant Sedona DX from around 2001-2004 online and, while I know it's not an amazing bike, it will do what I want & need- rehab my knee without having high standover height that would cause problems if I have to stop quickly and land on my bad leg. That would suck and probably waste all of the therapy I have done for it. It would also likely make me end up in a heap since that leg doesn't have much strength in the quads, yet.

I paid $120, it's a good fit and it was in OK condition, even if it was neglected, a bit. First thing I did was replace the brake shoes because they were hard and ineffective. Then, I tore it apart for clean & lube, finding that the chain rings were badly worn, so I replaced the crankset and bottom bracket- IIRC, the total was $47, including shipping (the brakes were from a local store). I then decided to put the straight bar from the road bike I had converted to hybrid on it, which meant the cables and housings had to be replaced and I figured that I might as well replace the grip shifters. None of these parts were expensive, although I did need to buy a few tools. I think I have about $200 in it, including the parts & tools.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis