Aliens - Romulus: Takes small step in the right direction

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Thanks, I ordered the Alien Quadrilogy Blu Ray set.

The grain discussion raises a question in terms of what happens if a Blu Ray player is used to upscale a grainy 1080p to 4K. I would guess that upscaling to 4K might result in more pronounced grain which might look worse. I'm going to try it both ways.

If it doesn't get upscaled by the Bluray player, then the set will upscale it to 4K.
Which piece does the better job won't be known until its been done of course.

But both of those films aren't very pretty to begin with. Very dark and grainy, and Resurrection tends to be a bit oversaturated.

Enjoy the films..3 and 4 don't deserve the hate they get, just like Prometheus and Covenant surely don't.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have noticed a difference in audio between streaming vs Disc, but it could be because they compress the heck out of the files - like maybe compress an 80GB BD to 2GB streaming. :D
My impression is that Blu-ray often sounds better than streaming but for me that’s not readily testable, so here we are. The various streaming compression artifacts in what I watch is quite disappointing, though, and clearly visible many scenes.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
My impression is that Blu-ray often sounds better than streaming but for me that’s not readily testable, so here we are. The various streaming compression artifacts in what I watch is quite disappointing, though, and clearly visible many scenes.
I’ve tried watching a scene on Blu Ray right after watching the same scene streaming. I’ve only tried it a couple times but the Blu Ray audio was clearly much better both times. A lot of sounds were missing in the streaming versions but I didn’t realize the sounds were missing until I watched the Blu Ray version.

I think I could probably discern significant distortion but missing audio is not readily apparent to me without back to back comparison.

This was a very limited sample size and both movies had a lot of special effects (Underworld and Terminator Salvation). I’m not sure if it would be as noticeable with different movies or different streaming platforms.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I’ve tried watching a scene on Blu Ray right after watching the same scene streaming. I’ve only tried it a couple times but the Blu Ray audio was clearly much better both times. A lot of sounds were missing in the streaming versions but I didn’t realize the sounds were missing until I watched the Blu Ray version.

I think I could probably discern significant distortion but missing audio is not readily apparent to me without back to back comparison.

This was a very limited sample size and both movies had a lot of special effects (Underworld and Terminator Salvation). I’m not sure if it would be as noticeable with different movies or different streaming platforms.
You are right.
Streaming uses entirely different mixes from the disc versions in addition to being much much lower bitrates.

And to make matters worse, streaming usually adheres to Dolby's strict Atmos guidelines for dynamic range and dialog normalization...meaning it sounds weak/soft.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yesterday I watched The Crow 2024 4K ATMOS streaming. I had to increase the master volume by +15dB !!!!

I thought the video quality looked good. But audio was way too low. And they could have done a lot more with ATMOS but didn’t do it - for example the extended scene where the crows were flying all around him and then up into the sky.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yesterday I watched The Crow 2024 4K ATMOS streaming. I had to increase the master volume by +15dB !!!!

I thought the video quality looked good. But audio was way too low. And they could have done a lot more with ATMOS but didn’t do it - for example the extended scene where the crows were flying all around him and then up into the sky.
"I had to increase the master volume by +15dB !!!!"
That's what I was just telling you about Dolby's dynamic range guidelines...that's the result.
Even worse in volume regards is the Atmos music that's being put out.

All the streaming companies care about is that "Atmos" lights up for you, so they cant be accused of false advertising...they certainly don't put any effort into how it actually sounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis