AKG 702/701 vs Sennheiser HD 650 vs Grado rs1/2

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I am looking into buying one of these three. Budget 500$ (+/- 100$).
Now here is what I like/dislike in each:

AKG - decent to good looking but not as good measurements as Senn HD 650. Here is the harmonic distortion for 500Hz http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=2621
Senn HD 650 - best measurements (least harmonic distortions) of any headphones I've seen so far - http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=854
Grado - best looking and built quality. Comparable THD with AKG - http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=293

Please let me know your opinion many thanks..

BTW - I had a pair of Sennheiser HD pro 280 and the sound was good but they broke down (cheap plastic) after 18 months of daily use.
For the past 3 years I am using Grado 125 - they fit me very well and still look good even after I put many many hours on them. The sound is good but nothing to really brag about.

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You should add the Beyerdynamic DT880 to your list as well.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
You should add the Beyerdynamic DT880 to your list as well.
Yes, you're right - thanks. But to my question - which one would you choose/prefer and why?
I am torn between the looks of Grado and the measurements of Senn HD 650 (which is all plastic) ...

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It would be a toss up between the Sennheiser 650 and Beyerdynamic DT800 600ohm. I like the fact that each have a gradual taper starting starting at about 1kHz as opposed to Grado which have peaks in the midrange and upper midrange/treble. The 650 and 880 will give you a tonally accurate, natural sounding headphone opposed to a more bright and forward sounding Grado signature.

Each of these headphones will need a headphone amp of some sort with exception of the Grado's.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Guess what? I decided to buy the Beyerdynamic Manufaktur DT 880 (the customized ones).
In 2 weeks I will be posting photos :)
Very cool! Can't wait to hear your impressions and some pics. I have to know the custom details. :cool:

beyerdynamic’s on-line software allows you the freedom to choose the technical specifications and look of these top of the range headphones. Customise your headphones with your choice of colour and finish. Options include two different colors of ear pads, variations of stunning leather headbands and matching cup rings, black or silver anodised fittings and much more. Select from three different impedance configurations to suit your equipment and select a straight or coiled cable. As you build your design you can see exactly what it looks like on screen, in real time rendering, from three different angles! You can also opt for personalised text engraved on the headband clips, such as your own name or that of your studio's. This would be perfect gift for the individual who has everything else!

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Very cool! Can't wait to hear your impressions and some pics. I have to know the custom details. :cool:

beyerdynamic’s on-line software allows you the freedom to choose the technical specifications and look of these top of the range headphones. Customise your headphones with your choice of colour and finish. Options include two different colors of ear pads, variations of stunning leather headbands and matching cup rings, black or silver anodised fittings and much more. Select from three different impedance configurations to suit your equipment and select a straight or coiled cable. As you build your design you can see exactly what it looks like on screen, in real time rendering, from three different angles! You can also opt for personalised text engraved on the headband clips, such as your own name or that of your studio's. This would be perfect gift for the individual who has everything else!

DT 880 32 ohms
(Black) Leather ear pads and head band
Carbon Housing, mounting and "end piece"
Black yoke/alluring

Can't wait ...:mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis