Akai linear tracking turntable skips

G

GaryA14

Audiophyte
Please help. A few years ago I put my Akai AP-L45 linear tracking turntable in storage. After a year or so I hooked it back into my system and it wouldn’t work. Took it to the only(!) repair shop in Reno, NV and the guy replaced the power unit? Anyway, I hooked it up and it skips. Never did in over 30 years and now it does. Bought several brand new records (high quality) and tried them and they skip. I adjusted the arm weight and the stylus height and depth. It is a very good Grado stylus that cost me $200 in 1983. No matter how much weight I put on it or how many times I clean the record, it skips. I have adjusted everything I can without using an oscilloscope per the service manual I found online. Any ideas? Any suggestions for a reputable repair shop? Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are lucky to have to have got 30 years service from it.

Linear tracking turntables are a terrible idea. NONE of them have been of benefit and caused more problems then they have solved. They are all universally "Heath Robinson" contraptions.

Problems start because of trying to solve a non problem. In a properly designed and properly set up turntable tracking error is minute, and the least of a turntable's problems.

I have had a look at the service manual and the turntable is horribly complicated, especially the linear tracking. There is an arm position sensor connected to a microprocessor that drives a DC servo motor, and huge amount of associated circuitry. Just the electrical adjustment procedures for that would take days I reckon and cost far more than the turntable is worth. Then if it needs a part you can bet it will be NLA. You will still get a very fat bill just to find out it needs an unobtainable part. I would never consider one of those turntables for restoration for a second. I would regard it right off as a bin job.

Please understand a turntable should be a simple but highly engineered device.

So you are far better off putting the funds to a well built and engineered conventional turntable.

Do not consider for a second wasting money on that ghastly contraption.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much is this thing worth to you emotionally to even consider repairing it? If you really need to continue playing records, and it doesn't seem so since you've not used it for years, time for a new tt or time to sell the records while they're relatively valuable and go digital.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis