N

noob0804

Enthusiast
Hoping some of the many experts around here can point me in the right direction...
I'm putting together a modest 2.0 system for my home office, roughly 13'x14'. Two things I'm certain of: I'm going to use the Wiim Pro for streaming, and my old Oppo DV-980H to play all the disc types. I think I'm going to get the Dayton MK-442T speakers, but my quandary is the amplification in my price range. I've read rave reviews of the Aiyima T9 Pro, and it's is within my price range. The question here is: Does it make sense to get the Aiyima ($160 at Amazon), or go with a basic stereo receiver from an established brand close to my price range? i.e., the Yamaha R-S202BL ($180 at Amazon). I don't much care about streaming from my phone, so the Aiyima bluetooth capability is not a big deal for me. Also, I assume the Oppo player and the Wiim Pro have somewhat decent DACs, so I don't know how important having an additional DAC in the amp is. In all honesty, I don't claim to have "golden ears" and there are some room limitations: one of my walls is floor-to-ceiling glass, I can't place the speakers near any corner, including a subwoofer (that's why it has to be a 2.0), and I don't have curtains or any acoustic treatment yet, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference. I guess a big factor, second to sound, is the product reliability. For reference, I'm going from a Harman/Kardon Onyx 4 fed with an Amazon Echo Dot to this 2.0 system - that difference, I know I'll be able to tell...;)
Thanks for your help
PTM

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I actually use the Yamaha R-S202 in my main system and it's fine. It has practically zero features, but it's cheap and it's built-in Bluetooth streaming from my iPad works without issue.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Go with a stereo receiver for sure.

Your speakers will end up being your limiting factor in sound quality, so focusing on DACs before speakers isn't going to yield optimum results. Rather than put funds into a DAC, put that money toward better speakers. Not the speakers you chose specifically, just in general saying that speakers absolutely make the most difference in what you hear.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're interested in budget tower speakers, there is a sale right now of Monoprice speakers.
You could read James reviewed Encore T6 (currently at $256/ea - likely over your budget) but it's smaller cousin T5 should be fine at $90/each or $180/pair.
Hard to say about T5, but T6 measures better than Dayton MK-442T

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you're interested in budget tower speakers, there is a sale right now of Monoprice speakers.
You could read James reviewed Encore T6 (currently at $256/ea - likely over your budget) but it's smaller cousin T5 should be fine at $90/each or $180/pair.
Hard to say about T5, but T6 measures better than Dayton MK-442T
Yeah those speakers will beat daytons but I personally haven’t heard either brand . It’s a toss up between spending more for getting better quality or saving money . Even non audiophiles can probably tell the difference let alone us addicted to speakers..

R

RyanNieves

Audiophyte
Hoping some of the many experts around here can point me in the right direction...
I'm putting together a modest 2.0 system for my home office, roughly 13'x14'. Two things I'm certain of: I'm going to use the Wiim Pro for streaming, and my old Oppo DV-980H to play all the disc types. I think I'm going to get the Dayton MK-442T speakers, but my quandary is the amplification in my price range. I've read rave reviews of the Aiyima T9 Pro, and it's is within my price range. The question here is: Does it make sense to get the Aiyima ($160 at Amazon), or go with a basic stereo receiver from an established brand close to my price range? i.e., the Yamaha R-S202BL ($180 at Amazon). I don't much care about streaming from my phone, so the Aiyima bluetooth capability is not a big deal for me. Also, I assume the Oppo player and the Wiim Pro have somewhat decent DACs, so I don't know how important having an additional DAC in the amp is. In all honesty, I don't claim to have "golden ears" and there are some room limitations: one of my walls is floor-to-ceiling glass, I can't place the speakers near any corner, including a subwoofer (that's why it has to be a 2.0), and I don't have curtains or any acoustic treatment yet, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference. I guess a big factor, second to sound, is the product reliability. For reference, I'm going from a Harman/Kardon Onyx 4 fed with an Amazon Echo Dot to this 2.0 system - that difference, I know I'll be able to tell...;)
Thanks for your help
PTM
Considering your room limitations and priorities, the Yamaha R-S202BL seems like a reliable choice for your 2.0 system. Its established brand reputation and sound quality align well with your needs. Getting a loan for $300 can be really helpful when you're dealing with unexpected expenses. This https://triceloans.com/300-loan-how-and-where-to-get/ site will give you the scoop on where and how to get this money quickly, even if you don't have the best credit. It's good news that the qualification requirements aren't too tough. Read on to learn about the best lenders, types of loans, and terms that can really help you manage your finances.
Which one you bought? I am curious to know.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
Go with a stereo receiver for sure.

Your speakers will end up being your limiting factor in sound quality, so focusing on DACs before speakers isn't going to yield optimum results. Rather than put funds into a DAC, put that money toward better speakers. Not the speakers you chose specifically, just in general saying that speakers absolutely make the most difference in what you hear.
It's unfortunate that small receivers are less expensive than small integrated amplifiers. It's unfortunate that small integrated amps are rare. I rarely use a tuner on a receiver, but I feel obligated to provide proper antennae, which becomes messy. I like Yamaha A-S301integrated amp at $350. The variable loudness control may be valuable in a small office.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, no doubt get the Yamaha. Never even heard of the other brand. :D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Get the Yammy and some Encore T5 or 6! I have an A-S801 driving a pair of T6's and it sounds great! I can't imagine that Aiyima being that powerful. It may work for you though, depending on the listening level. The tubes seem cool(nifty), but I think those are merely eye candy. The A-S301 is a fine integrated amp! I posted a link to a demo made in another thread. I researched the Aiyima. I haven't seen a good audio demo of it. I personally wouldn't buy it based on the videos I have seen.

Speakers for heavy metal?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't you have a free Akai integrated amp ? What happened?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
so the Aiyima bluetooth capability is not a big deal for me. Also, I assume the Oppo player and the Wiim Pro have somewhat decent DACs, so I don't know how important having an additional DAC in the amp is. In all honesty, I don't claim to have "golden ears" and there are some room limitations: one of my walls is floor-to-ceiling glass, I can't place the speakers near any corner, including a subwoofer (that's why it has to be a 2.0), and I don't have curtains or any acoustic treatment yet, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference.
If you only use one single input, those tiny class D amps such as Aiyima will work well for your small room.
The Fosi Audio V3 uses the same TI chip found in the higher Aiyima models but is implemented with better parts.

Take a look of the current anniversary sales price:

Fosi Audio V3 300W x2 2.0 Channel Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier with TP (fosiaudioshop.com)

Ignore the advertised 300 W X2, but it will have power output comparable to that of the Yamaha R-S202, if you order it with the 48 V power supply, if you order it with the 32 V supply, and pair it with speakers that have 88 dB or higher sensitivity, it will still be enough in a small room at distance up to about 3 meters.

I am currently testing this amp, directly AB comparing to my NAD integrated amp. I bought it from Amazon so can return it if I don't like it, so far I am quite I will be keeping it. For $71, it seems like an excellent value.

N

noob0804

Enthusiast
Didn't you have a free Akai integrated amp ? What happened?
I'm working on it. It might not have the patience, since the Akai resides currently out of town and it requires a special trip, and I might end up getting the Yamaha. It's either the Yamaha or the Akai at this point.

N

noob0804

Enthusiast
If you only use one single input, those tiny class D amps such as Aiyima will work well for your small room.
The Fosi Audio V3 uses the same TI chip found in the higher Aiyima models but is implemented with better parts.

Take a look of the current anniversary sales price:

Fosi Audio V3 300W x2 2.0 Channel Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier with TP (fosiaudioshop.com)

Ignore the advertised 300 W X2, but it will have power output comparable to that of the Yamaha R-S202, if you order it with the 48 V power supply, if you order it with the 32 V supply, and pair it with speakers that have 88 dB or higher sensitivity, it will still be enough in a small room at distance up to about 3 meters.

I am currently testing this amp, directly AB comparing to my NAD integrated amp. I bought it from Amazon so can return it if I don't like it, so far I am quite I will be keeping it. For $71, it seems like an excellent value.
Thanks for your advise and for sharing your impressions. I do need more than 1 input, so I'm going to go with either the Yamaha or a vintage AKAI AA-1150 that I might get for free, but I'd have to have shipped. Haven't decided yet.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your advise and for sharing your impressions. I do need more than 1 input, so I'm going to go with either the Yamaha or a vintage AKAI AA-1150 that I might get for free, but I'd have to have shipped. Haven't decided yet.
Seems to me it is easy to decide, the Yamaha is up to date, better specs overall and is likely going to be work reliably for years. The Akai is over 40 years old, look great if in new condition, but other than that..

N

noob0804

Enthusiast
Seems to me it is easy to decide, the Yamaha is up to date, better specs overall and is likely going to be work reliably for years. The Akai is over 40 years old, look great if in new condition, but other than that..
The Akai has some sentimental value and is in pristine condition. If it's not too costly getting it home I'll start with it and see how it goes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Akai has some sentimental value and is in pristine condition. If it's not too costly getting it home I'll start with it and see how it goes.
That part can be true, if in pristine condition then it is at least nice to look at.

N

noob0804

Enthusiast
I went with the Yamaha, paired with a WiiM pro, an Oppo universal cd/dvd player, and Dayton MK442-T speakers. Am I happy!! I know this is an entry level system but it sounds absolutely fantastic to my ears, and plenty loud for my 13'x14' home office. I can't see myself upgrading anything for a number of years. I was skeptical that I'd be able to hear the difference between bluetooth from a phone and ethernet through a dedicated streamer. I'm able to hear the difference and it's absolutely worth it. The room has limitations in the speaker placement and has a lot of hard surfaces, but I imagine with some heavy curtains and other minor tweaks I'm going to enjoy it even more. Thanks for all the advice!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis