Aiwa SX-M200 vs Polk Audio RT 7

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
I happened to find both of these speakers on the street one night in pretty good condition, and am interested in using them for destktop audio with an amplifier.

The aiwa speakers has "built in subwoofer", whatever that means, it looks like a regular woofer to me; but the polk audio seems like a higher quality build an has a larger woofer cone.

Which one should I go with for the best audio quality (I just typically listen to music)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems the "subwoofer" from the manual on the Aiwa is just a mid-woofer typical of such a small bookshelf speaker. The Polk appears to be the superior speaker. What amplifier do you have or are thinking about?

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
Seems the "subwoofer" from the manual on the Aiwa is just a mid-woofer typical of such a small bookshelf speaker. The Polk appears to be the superior speaker. What amplifier do you have or are thinking about?
Honestly, that's what I thought as well (^^)

That's a good question, I just have the one that came with the Aiwa speaker set, but I also have some cheap 150W/channel left/right/bass 2.1 class D amplifier board.

The Aiwa is ancient, and the class D is newer, not sure which one to go with honestly.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay looked closer at the spec/manual, it seems the Aiwa amp in that set provides separate amplification for the mid-hi vs lows for that Aiwa speaker, the amp spec:

Amplifier section

Mid-high frequency amplifier:
8 W + 8 W (200 Hz – 20 kHz,
T.H.D. less than 1%, 16 ohms)

10 W + 10 W (1 kHz, T.H.D. less
than 10%, 16 ohms)

Total harmonic distortion 0.15 % (5 W, 1 kHz, 16 ohms, DIN Audio)

Low frequency amplifier:
25 W + 25 W (35 Hz – 200 Hz,
T.H.D. less than 1%, 6 ohms)

30 W + 30 W (75 Hz, T.H.D. less
than 10%, 6 ohms)

Total harmonic distortion 0.15 % (12.5 W, 75 Hz, 6 ohms, DIN Audio)

So seems that it's pretty specialized for the matching Aiwa speakers and may not work so well on the Polk. Maybe putting your amp board to use would be better. Have you experimented with both sets of speakers with it?

nd could be of limited use on the

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
Okay looked closer at the spec/manual, it seems the Aiwa amp in that set provides separate amplification for the mid-hi vs lows for that Aiwa speaker, the amp spec:

Amplifier section

Mid-high frequency amplifier:
8 W + 8 W (200 Hz – 20 kHz,
T.H.D. less than 1%, 16 ohms)

10 W + 10 W (1 kHz, T.H.D. less
than 10%, 16 ohms)

Total harmonic distortion 0.15 % (5 W, 1 kHz, 16 ohms, DIN Audio)

Low frequency amplifier:
25 W + 25 W (35 Hz – 200 Hz,
T.H.D. less than 1%, 6 ohms)

30 W + 30 W (75 Hz, T.H.D. less
than 10%, 6 ohms)

Total harmonic distortion 0.15 % (12.5 W, 75 Hz, 6 ohms, DIN Audio)

So seems that it's pretty specialized for the matching Aiwa speakers and may not work so well on the Polk. Maybe putting your amp board to use would be better. Have you experimented with both sets of speakers with it?

nd could be of limited use on the
Yeah, it could be, I'll try the amp board and report back later tonight (a lot of other thinggs to do today (^^) )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis