Air Space Behind Bass Trap

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
Happy Wednesday! Im building my own bass traps. Ive done some research but having a hard time finding an answer.
If I build a triangular corner bass trap, is it better to leave space behind the rockwool, or should I fill the entire space?
Or, is it better to build a rectangular trap that leaves a natural air gap behind the trap? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Happy Wednesday! Im building my own bass traps. Ive done some research but having a hard time finding an answer.
If I build a triangular corner bass trap, is it better to leave space behind the rockwool, or should I fill the entire space?
Or, is it better to build a rectangular trap that leaves a natural air gap behind the trap? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I would recommend testing both ways. In theory leaving an air gap will help the trap be more effective. In the front of my room it was TOO effective and the sound became flat and dull. In the back of my room (where there is less furniture) it worked great when I left a space. Try both.

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
I would recommend testing both ways. In theory leaving an air gap will help the trap be more effective. In the front of my room it was TOO effective and the sound became flat and dull. In the back of my room (where there is less furniture) it worked great when I left a space. Try both.
Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a try both ways.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
For corner traps I believe the air gap is built inside the trap. One of my GIK's had a bad glue job and the top cap was off when I received it. If memory serves there was some spacing inside.

Gearspace (formerly gearslutz) has a lot of good DIY info on its forum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis