ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wanted to ask The Team what everyone thinks about aiming surrounds.

We should all be familiar with the standard floorplans, 5.1 and 7.1 respectively:

Assuming we place the speakers according to design, we are then left to account for the best listening alignment, or

Where do you aim your speakers?
The Mains are always placed to maximize soundstage, usually. Mine, for example, are recommended to listen to at roughly 15º off-axis.

Do you follow similar guidance for Surrounds? Do you aim straight at your LP?

What do you guys say?

:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I prefer to keep my surrounds on axis if I can help it. With my old s-38’s I had mounts that allowed for side to side, and up/down so I could basically aim them wherever I wanted. I tried them aimed all around my LP. In front of, behind, above etc. iirc the tweeters were at 72” but pointed down at the LP. In that position, I got great imaging above and behind, me while also not leaving any “holes” between them and my mains.
I think it depends on the speaker, and room too.
After I sold them to mr boat and went IW for my sides, it was a little complicated. I’ll pm you if you’re interested.
Edit: I aimed my mains to hit the fireplace behind me at about 5’ behind my LP. They’re 10’ apart and 3’ into the room.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
'Sup, Bill.
Thanks for playing. :)

I've played around a bit, too. Tried aiming at and behind with the Surrounds. Haven't tried in front, though.
Haven't really played with the Rears too much... they are aimed a little in front of me.

With the Surrounds more than anything, especially as my primary goal is Surround Multi-Channel Music, I'm just curious to find out what others experience. :)
(That experience doesn't have to be limited to music!)

All of my Bed Layer speakers are pretty much Wide-Dispersion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally my surrounds are aimed at my seat, depends on the room/placement/seating options somewhat. I prefer them above ear level, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Generally my surrounds are aimed at my seat, depends on the room/placement/seating options somewhat. I prefer them above ear level, too.
Just to clarify for your set up:
On-Axis, Horizontal.
Below Axis, Vertical (as Tweeters are above you per the Dolby SOP)?

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just to clarify for your set up:
On-Axis, Horizontal.
Below Axis, Vertical (as Tweeters are above you per the Dolby SOP)?

Thanks!
Just surrounds or also rear surrounds? Which system? :) Generally on axis and seat below tweeters altho generally angled towards seating. Rear surrounds tend to be placed higher up. No dedicated room either, tho.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
The side surrounds are bipole , mounted about 2ft above my ear level..,with a slight downward angle..,placed slightly behind me(~100 deg).

The rear surrounds are direct radiating, mounted higher, but angled more downward to ear level, towards the L & R listening positions(probably a couple of inches away ears).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s nice to put surrounds higher than seating which generally puts tweeter above ear level.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wanted to ask The Team what everyone thinks about aiming surrounds.

We should all be familiar with the standard floorplans, 5.1 and 7.1 respectively:

Assuming we place the speakers according to design, we are then left to account for the best listening alignment, or

Where do you aim your speakers?
The Mains are always placed to maximize soundstage, usually. Mine, for example, are recommended to listen to at roughly 15º off-axis.

Do you follow similar guidance for Surrounds? Do you aim straight at your LP?

What do you guys say?

:D
5.1 and LCR are aimed at the MLP...the surrounds are as well...the midrange is roughly ear level all the way around.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
'Sup, Bill.
Thanks for playing. :)

I've played around a bit, too. Tried aiming at and behind with the Surrounds. Haven't tried in front, though.
Haven't really played with the Rears too much... they are aimed a little in front of me.

With the Surrounds more than anything, especially as my primary goal is Surround Multi-Channel Music, I'm just curious to find out what others experience. :)
(That experience doesn't have to be limited to music!)

All of my Bed Layer speakers are pretty much Wide-Dispersion.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that when I went IW with my sides, I also lowered them quite a bit. This was because at the same time, I install my four ceiling speakers from RSL for Atmos.
So, what I guess I meant to add was that for Atmos, I still think on axis(for my one seat of precedence lol) works best. BUT, they should be much closer to ear height. I won’t bore anyone with the guide, but as long as there’s enough ceiling height, going a little higher with sides and rears can help with multiple viewers, as well as if the ceiling is extra high.

Also fwiw, I know you’re much more a music guy, and I believe MCH is your thing. No? I wouldn’t think that would change your approach to placing your surrounds. My thoughts are that it’s more important for films, as there is obvious directional activity cues and precise sound effects that follow what’s on and off screen. So far ime, music is more forgiving of surrounds. Im sure we also agree that also depends on what is in the track too.
I refer to my own listening/viewing as 100% of each. Some will scoff at the thought, but I don’t know why you can’t have one system to rule them all. My gear is pedestrian, but I’ve spent a lot of time getting what I feel is the most out of it and it still makes me smile.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis