AfterLife2's Setup Finally...Brace Yourself and Always Thankful To My Audioholics FriendS.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Quick question I ran the mic eq like 10 times and the surrounds were set to LARGE 40db Is that normal? The others are small and sub is 12:30 position and gave me -1db or 0db(left it there)
In my experience audyssey can be a little finicky setting large and small. I'd change it to small and bump up the cross to ~60, unless you like how it sounds. Last time I ran audyssey, which was some time ago, it set my surrounds similarly and I didn't like it so I changed to small and raised the cross a bit and it made things sound better to my ears.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Quick question I ran the mic eq like 10 times and the surrounds were set to LARGE 40db Is that normal? The others are small and sub is 12:30 position and gave me -1db or 0db(left it there)
The first few runs on my UMC did not set my mains to large, but subsequent ones did and set my x-over to 150hz. Weird. Not sure why it did that, but I did the same thing - set them to small and 80 and all is good now.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks fuzz I actually bump it up yesterday to 60 and Large. I'll see how it sounds 60 Small. What db did it give you for your sub?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The first few runs on my UMC did not set my mains to large, but subsequent ones did and set my x-over to 150hz. Weird. Not sure why it did that, but I did the same thing - set them to small and 80 and all is good now.
That happened to me too, weird. 80 F L/R, 120 Center(Dialog sounds clearer on 120 than 80 to me) S L/R 60 What db's are your Sorround? mine are 1 db(bumps to 6) and fronts are 6db(bumped to 10 center 8db(bumped to 10) at the eq setting everything was too darn low. I left the bass at 0 db(may bump up to 1db) as suggested by the eq mic.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My surrounds are about as close to me as yours, but I have them pointing forward and angled up 8 degrees using MoPads. I didn't see what it set the levels to, but I didn't need to adjust them and it set them to small.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
AfterLife2's Setup Finally...Brace Yourself and Always Thankful To My Audioholi

Thanks fuzz I actually bump it up yesterday to 60 and Large. I'll see how it sounds 60 Small. What db did it give you for your sub?
IIRC setting it to large bypasses the xover but I could be mistaken. I forget, but it did a decent job level matching everything. I remember raising the sub level a touch but used to like to run them a little hot when I only had the outlaw and the Polk.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My surrounds are about as close to me as yours, but I have them pointing forward and angled up 8 degrees using MoPads. I didn't see what it set the levels to, but I didn't need to adjust them and it set them to small.
Can you post pictures I'd like to see it. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Didn't see any pics in your thread with the surround couch setup. I'm guessing this is your setup JG:

Nice cheap option.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Man I thought your girl kidnapped you?! Which Is not a bad thing. There will always be moments for you my friend. Thanks for the kind words.:)
Nah she didn't she sslapped me but that was mmy own fault ahaha, yes I kno this!!! That's allright bud :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't see any pics in your thread with the surround couch setup. I'm guessing this is your setup JG:
Yes, something to that effect. I have in pics, but not obvious. More or less have them sitting like this with a second set of mopads for twice the angle:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using the HK's EQ if so I found crossovers way too low. It put my speakers at like 40 and they have a 5.25" paper bottom. I suspect it was engineered with small speakers in mind. The newest AS did a fantastic job with my current setup. But it's a dedicated room and I think that really helps.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks JG I'll try and see how I like it the way you have it. I only saw one pic of the way you have it and I was shock to see it. I always read that the 90 degree facing your ear was the best way.

Yes Isiberian It left everything low In volume, so I raised everything to their setting 5 notches up and it works for me. I only left the sub at 0db, but I may raise it to +1db.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks JG I'll try and see how I like it the way you have it. I only saw one pic of the way you have it and I was shock to see it. I always read that the 90 degree facing your ear was the best way.
Set it up the way that sounds best to you :) I typically recommend having them pointed toward the center of the room, which usually gives a good mix between direct and diffused sound. In my case in the current setup (which is why I was down to just 3.1 for most of this year) the surrounds are basically right behind the couch with nothing behind them. My other A/V-2s weren't going to work there because they're so big so I swapped them out for my smaller A/V-1s after redoing them with all new drivers and x-overs and its working well.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, something to that effect. I have in pics, but not obvious. More or less have them sitting like this with a second set of mopads for twice the angle:
JG are these speakers made this way or did you turn them upside down on purpose?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
New stuff!
Well I've been saving up for almost a year now. This is a bday/Christmas gift to myself. Hooray!

First I'd like to thank Ed and Eli from SVS
for hooking me up BIG time. They were very helpful and very generous with me. They answered all my emails in a flash and were patient with all my questions + it took awhile for me to get it. The box arrived on my bday Tuesday! I hooked it up last night friday and after some tweaking/Mic setup
I got it to my liking. After 20 hours or so it should be even more awesome!
Special Thanks to TheJman
for his awesome review of the PB1000, which made my decision even easier. I'm very impressed with this sub and will play some music and movies later on today.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No pics of it in position with the rest of the setup? LAAAAAMMMMMEEEE :p :D

Congrats on the new sub.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It's always nice to get new stuff.
Especially on your birthday.