Advise with subwoofer(s)

Theetjuh

Theetjuh

Enthusiast
A long time lurker, but since I'm building my next house I would love some advise from you guys.

Because I am from Europe I was thinking about the P12-300SB-DF or P12-300SB-PR from BK Elec.
But since this will be my first 'real' subwoofer purchase I would love to know if that will be enough or maybe even overkill.
I think I need a minimum of two of those, but will probably first start with one.

I attached the layout of my new house.
Every X is an empty pipe for the 5.2 speaker layout.​
Every Z will be used for speakers in the ceilling for Dolby Atmos.​
The volume of the livingroom including the kitchen is 133.62 m3 (4718.74 ft3)

My current equipment is quite simple and bought in a package deal:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820​
Front: Q Acoustics 2050i​
Center: Q Acoustics 2000Ci​
Rear: Q Acoustics 2020i​
Sub: Q Acoustics 2070Si​
For the Atmos speakers I am thinking about Q Acoustics QI65C in a B&W BB165C back box.

Attachments

Last edited:
Y

Yaniv.sheffer

Audiophyte
I would go for SVS brand. i have a SB1000 which is the entry level located in a 4 by 6 meter room and it's wonderful. play very low frequencies and upgrades my system totally. Good luck

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Between those choices, go for the P12-300SB-PR. The other one is sealed, which is not always a great choice for home theater applications especially in a room as large as yours. If it were me, I would be considering the Monolith subs from BK. Other good choices in your neck of the woods would be any of the XTZ cinema subs, the ported SVS subs, and the Aurendal THX subs.

Theetjuh

Theetjuh

Enthusiast
What I read the P12-300SB-PR is positioned to compete with the Monolith, but better for music like the XXLS400 is.

I just hope two of the PRs will fill the room.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As your space is so big I would look for dual Mobolith+. Running dual XXLS400 on small room myself and I have been happy with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis