Advise on new receiver and sub

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
Hey everyone,looking for advise on which I should upgrade first.I have a Yamaha rx-v571 currently running (3) Kef Q100's,front LCR and a old Energy esw-c10 which I had from a sub/sat set up.Have been out of the HT gig for a while and have recently entered back in.Subs I have narrowed down are RSL speedwoofer,Emotiva basx S12,and HSU vtf1 mk3.As far as a newer receiver (something with newer tech,ie; HDCP2.2/4k pass through and dual sub)I know my AVR will be the hub and needs to be fairly solid,just so many options out there right now it's hard to narrow it down.I don't mind factory refurb and been looking on Accessories4less for options as far a receiver goes.I do like Yamaha as it has not failed me once,as well as Denon which I have had in the past.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Welcome aboard. The first you need to tell us is what you want new system to do. (Percentages help.) Movies, Concerts, Music => CDs, BluRays, or Streaming? TV in 5.1? Are you headed to immersive sound like Atmos?

The next big thing will be your budget and timeline. Are you planning to add a piece at a time or? Folks here all have experience, and some very strong prejudices for, or against, certain brands of Subs, Receivers, etc. Accessories4less is very popular here for those on a budget or wanting to save some cash. Personally my tastes go towards Denon / Marantz & Sony for receivers (in that order). My Yamaha experience is with a brother in law who's on his 3rd in about 15 years. He loves them. Each to their own.

Many here will caution you away from Onkyo / Pioneer, so you may want to do some research there if you are thinking of going down that road.

For the Sub, just tell us how much you want to spend and your room dimensions. The boys here will give you a list of the best buys to fit your needs.

I hope you enjoy your time here at the forum.

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply Jim.I have been doing a lot of research on AVR's,reviews and features needed.I keep going back to Denon as I have had in the past and never had any issues(3808).They seem to have a solid reputation of quality and functions that are needed in today's ever growing industry.I use about 70% movies 30% music.
A4L has a X3400H for $599 w/free shipping which think is a no brainer for the features I need,especially having Audyssey MultEQ XT32.It will replace a 8yr old Yamy v571 so a much needed upgrade with my LG 65" 4k uhd.Just starting to add piece by piece as I see fit.Next will most likely be a sub.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The X3400H is a good option, but assuming you are getting by well enough with your Yamaha, I'd suggest you wait for the release of the X3500H and pick up a 3400's when they are being closed out.
@AcuDefTechGuy probably has as good of a read as anyone on when this is liable to happen and what type of discount you might hope for. Hopefully he will comment on this.
Although, I have had nothing but good experiences with my A4L refurbs, I suspect you will be able to pick up a 3400 new with the full (don't remember if it is 2 or 3 years) warranty for the same price or less if you wait!

IIRC, the 4300 went for $700 last year. I don't remember what the 3300 went for.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
AVR or Sub first? Well ideally both if you have the budget. Dimensions of the room? We are looking for the volume in cubic feet including any space open to the room.

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
The X3400H is a good option, but assuming you are getting by well enough with your Yamaha, I'd suggest you wait for the release of the X3500H and pick up a 3400's when they are being closed out.
@AcuDefTechGuy probably has as good of a read as anyone on when this is liable to happen and what type of discount you might hope for. Hopefully he will comment on this.
Although, I have had nothing but good experiences with my A4L refurbs, I suspect you will be able to pick up a 3400 new with the full (don't remember if it is 2 or 3 years) warranty for the same price or less if you wait!

IIRC, the 4300 went for $700 last year. I don't remember what the 3300 went for.
Yeah,I'm sure if I wait prices will fall.waiting is the hardest part....The price is tempting for the 3400H as I don't see me needing much more than this.My space is not very large,13'w / 16'd which opens up behind the mlp so I'm not looking to fill all that empty space.I sit like 10' from the screen.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The sub has to pressurize the entire volume of space open to it. I would recommend a ported 12 from HSU or Rythmik or SVS for a true movie theater experience as well as for music. Otherwise a Monolith ported 10 is the only 10in sub I would recommend as a single sub. There is a recent review on this site on the Monolith.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The X3400 was $599 brand new from Amazon Prime only a few days ago for 1 day, then when up to $799 about 24 hrs later.

I would check Amazon every day.

I know from a dealers point of view, the X3400 and X4400 are on sale this month of June.

Might PM @DigitalDawn to see if she can match the $599 or better on X3400 or $799 on X4400. Or just wait for Amazon Prime. :D

Those X3500/4500 models must be coming out soon.

Kevin S

Kevin S

Audioholic Intern
You guys are too funny,I have to use my paypal credit as that is where my audio funds are.A4L uses PP credit as well as some other authorized sites.Will keep my eyes out
Thanks for the insight

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis