Advise for new system

C

ChTidio

Audiophyte
First, if I should not be posting to this forum, pint me to the right place and I will re-direct.

After years of not having updated any components, I think it's time and I am starting to look around. First, I want to start with a descent receiver and I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices (based on features, cost, etc.)

YAMAHA RX-V485BL 5.1
DEVON AVRS750H 7.2
YAMAHA RX-V685BL 7.2

Do others here have any opinion on these (or may be others that I may have missed)?

Thank you everyone!

- Chris

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Chris. What is that your looking to do long term? The first upgrade almost all of us recommend is a new sub/s. But nowadays there’s Atmos and DTS-X, plus their upmixing counterparts, Dolby surround and DTS NueralX(DSU, and dtsnx) So, if you just want better sound, I’d look at speakers and or a subwoofer. If you want features and connectivity, and the new sound formats a new AVR, as long as your speakers are good.
I don’t know the receivers you listed without looking, and don’t know your budget but the denon x3600 gets a lot of love here for value.

It’s older brother gets love too.

Also for the same price as the 3600, it looks like the 4400 is available too.

C

ChTidio

Audiophyte
Thanks William. Good questions. After years of old 2 ch systems and speakers, etc., I have reached the point where I want to start from scratch. I am not interesting in mixing, or other such things, I want to get a descent system, new speakers, a subwoofer, so that I can connect components, connect to wifi, BT, etc. I don't have a huge budget, I was hoping to get system & speakers and sub for ~$2,500. I may have to revise my plans,,,,

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
First, what do you have access to buy? Are the devices the only ones you can get?
There are so many avr's that don't cost much but will give you the latest, more or less, signal processing but depending on where you live you may not access to a lot of it...so what you have access to is very important.

I suggest you start with speakers as they will last the longest, not caring about the latest and greatest audio, etc. Perhaps start with the fronts, center and sub...repurposing what you currently have for surrounds, etc. Then go to the avr and buy what you can afford that offers the most/latest technology...but that technology generally lasts for an average of 5 or less years though some believe we are at a current "golden age" and may not see any "leaps" for some time...other than hdmi 2.1 which may be a leap but little to nothing to make it worthwhile at the moment.

Again, not knowing where you are and what is available is a huge hinderance. I'll use myself as an example. I live in Northern NY, close to the Canadian border and in an area with a relatively small population percentage compared to more populated areas. Because of where I live I don't have access to a wide percentage of audio/video as when I lived in the Boston MA area. I have a 3/4 size Best Buy which carries basically low cost audio gear but a decent amount of TV's etc...we watch a lot of TV in the winter lol. I can audition the BB speakers offerings and that's it. I have a local brick and mortar car/home audio/video shop where I have bought my speakers...Paradigm from Monitor line to my current Prestige line...but they do not stock much and while I was able to listen to some speakers I have to buy on faith and return if I didn't like them. When living in Boston I had so much more to audition.

More information equals more and better suggestions...
Good luck and keep us informed.

C

ChTidio

Audiophyte
Thanks, Kai. All good advise. I actually live in the Boston area with pretty good access. Your advise of getting some good speakers, first, sounds good. And, I don't think I'll repurpose my old speakers, those will go to my basement office with my legacy technics 2 ch system,

I'll start looking for speakers, but if you have any recommendations, don't hesitate to tell me.

- Chris

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, Kai. All good advise. I actually live in the Boston area with pretty good access. Your advise of getting some good speakers, first, sounds good. And, I don't think I'll repurpose my old speakers, those will go to my basement office with my legacy technics 2 ch system,

I'll start looking for speakers, but if you have any recommendations, don't hesitate to tell me.

- Chris
Have a look at this review:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As you live in the Boston area, you surely have access to several audio shops, even Bestbuy, where you would have the opportunity to listen to a variety of speakers in your budget range.
I also strongly suggest that you do so. A few stores might be willing to let you try some in your home room acoustics, with the possibility of returning them should you not be satisfied with them.
EDIT: Bring a few CDs to the stores to have an idea about how they perform with familiar sound tracks.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
budget, budget, budget...
Start by determining what you can spend now, how that may change in the future and what is your final system, ie 5.1, 5.2, 7, 9.?, etc.
Were it me starting again and I lived in an area like yours I'd start by putting together a usb flash drive with 10 favorite songs/pieces...vary the genres...ie male/female vocals, band, orchestra, etc. Limit it to 10 or so, so you don't get overwhelmed making it difficult to compare/contrast.
Identify what is available in your area and within driving distance by brand...Klipsch, Paradigm, Focal, etc.
Visit shops carrying brands you can listen to. Take a note book and take notes, again so you don't get overwhelmed and they start to blur.
Typically we all tend towards a "sound" or two, whether it is the "B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc" sound.
If you are able to decide on a "sound"/brand...again in your price range...why bother with $10k per pair when your budget is $1K per pair, it only complicates matters...but...the difference between $1k and 1.5k may be big enough to be worth it so listen to one step up and one step down to find your "sweet spot".

If your sweet spot is a bit over budget perhaps limit yourself to the fronts and use them for stereo music and merged for center speaker for HT/movies/etc using the AVR's software.

Add a sub...again a matter of choice...especially if going bookshelf speakers over towers for the fronts...top brands offer best choices/prices and free shipping trial periods.

Spending under $500 will get you a very good AVR especially if you can get last year's model, often at 50% discount from companies such as Crutchfield, Accessories for Less, etc., sometimes even Best Buy.

Generally you will have plenty of power for enjoyable listening at reasonable levels...if you run it at full power you may risk clipping and damage to your speakers but that is damn loud and generally not enjoyable. You can always add an amp for a reasonable cost in the future.

Some say the center channel speaker is not the most important, I disagree and tend towards the opposite as I watch more movies/TV than listen to music. I'd buy the center next and if it is more important than the fronts I'd buy the next up in the brands model line or at least in the same model line...again I'd rather save for 6 months or a year and get what I want than buy what I have the money for now and regret it in 6 months and start thinking about upgrade which is more costly overall...45 years of this has taught me many lessons lol.

Surrounds can be purchased for a reasonable price and IMO add ambiance and fill, which is important but not to the point of spending a fortune on a pair...ie I run Paragidm Prestige 15B bookshelfs/fronts, 45C center and Atoms (last version) for surrounds...they match very well and the Atoms are significantly less money than the 15B's.

I have no suggestions for Atmos, etc. speakers as I don't use them, 5.1 here, so no experience with them.

Most important, to me, suggestion I can offer is to take your time and listen to what is available and buy what makes your ears smile the biggest...and keep us informed...good luck and enjoy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis