J

Jonbragg40

Audiophyte
Hi i am alway looking to make my system sound like when i listen to music that it is being performed in my living room. Now i know much of this depends on the recording itself. But im wondering if there is anything i can do with a budget of like 8k to help out.
I curreny run martin logan requests main speaker and the depth sub. An anthem five channel amp and the integra drc r1.1 pre amp. I bi amp the request because i thought that would provide more power but as i watched another one of your youtube videos. I only listen normally at 65 to 70 db. The system sounds overall pretty good but wanting maybe a little more.. maybe for my budget i wont be able to achieve the goal. Any help would be great. Thanks

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
First couple of things I'd suggest.

1) Speaker and listening position. Have you experimented? Have you measured? Have you don't the sub crawl?
2) look into your room acoustics. Do you have problems with first order reflections? Standing waves? Have you don anything to treat the room?
3) Identify what it is that you don't like and want to change. Realistically, after room acoustics, it's going to be about speakers.

J

Jonbragg40

Audiophyte
First couple of things I'd suggest.

1) Speaker and listening position. Have you experimented? Have you measured? Have you don't the sub crawl?
2) look into your room acoustics. Do you have problems with first order reflections? Standing waves? Have you don anything to treat the room?
3) Identify what it is that you don't like and want to change. Realistically, after room acoustics, it's going to be about speakers.
I have recently watched youtube video about speaker placement. I initially (just to keep them out of the way) kept them far apart and more towards the corner of the room.. i have since moved them away from the back wall and closer together.. this has helped immensely. I do not treat the room with any acoustics but am open to that. Im more intersted in total sound and not power at this point

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi i am alway looking to make my system sound like when i listen to music that it is being performed in my living room. Now i know much of this depends on the recording itself. But im wondering if there is anything i can do with a budget of like 8k to help out.
I curreny run martin logan requests main speaker and the depth sub. An anthem five channel amp and the integra drc r1.1 pre amp. I bi amp the request because i thought that would provide more power but as i watched another one of your youtube videos. I only listen normally at 65 to 70 db. The system sounds overall pretty good but wanting maybe a little more.. maybe for my budget i wont be able to achieve the goal. Any help would be great. Thanks
You touched on it and post #2 caught my other point.

Source, source player, speakers, room.

The room can sometimes be improved with treatments. You may be able to get a larger, hi res music file, but the recording is the recording for the most part. If you feel you're getting the most out of the source player, the speakers are all that's left to really impact the SQ.

I would assess what you think is really missing from the system as it's built now.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Jon, first of, congrats on your Logans ! A long time di-pole guy here. How old are your reQuest's ? Do you clean / vacuum the stat panels at least once a month ?

Placement...placement...placement, any di-pole is very critical of placement within a room. They need room to breath, 4-6' out from the wall(4' being the min IMO). Did you use the flashlight method for toe-in ?

J

Jonbragg40

Audiophyte
Jon, first of, congrats on your Logans ! A long time di-pole guy here. How old are your reQuest's ? Do you clean / vacuum the stat panels at least once a month ?

Placement...placement...placement, any di-pole is very critical of placement within a room. They need room to breath, 4-6' out from the wall(4' being the min IMO). Did you use the flashlight method for toe-in ?
My logans are quite old... got them in mid 90s abouts they still sound great and as a matter of fact you are correct i moved them farther from wall and closer in width apart and that already has made a giant difference the bass has come from no where i didnt realize how bad the bass was performing.. on the flashlight thing i was never taught that or seen anything on it.. i just toed them in until the vocals imaged to the center of the listening area

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
on the flashlight thing i was never taught that or seen anything on it.. i just toed them in until the vocals imaged to the center of the listening area
take a look .........

Back to your first post, you're wanting a 'little more' of what exactly ?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Diana Krall sounds like she's in my living room every night.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My logans are quite old... got them in mid 90s abouts they still sound great and as a matter of fact you are correct i moved them farther from wall and closer in width apart and that already has made a giant difference the bass has come from no where i didnt realize how bad the bass was performing.. on the flashlight thing i was never taught that or seen anything on it.. i just toed them in until the vocals imaged to the center of the listening area
ML Electrostats are some pretty special speakers but boy are they finicky. You really have to place them carefully in a room and toe them just so, to get the most from them. It's worth doing some homework so you know how to optimize them in your room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis