Advice to expand current 5.1 setup with 4K & Atmos/Dolby Vision

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hello all

I currently have 5.1 SVS Prime setup with a 12" SVS subwoofer

I just bought a new 4K LG TV and Marantz SR6013 9.2 AVR

I would like to add more speakers either heights or surrounds?

Not sure which would provide better sounds with the new 4K UHD & Atmos/Dolby Vision technology

Also don't know whether front heights or back heights would create better sound stage?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely upgrade to a 7.1.2 system over a 5.1.4 system. There are way more soundtracks mixed in 7.1 than there are Atmos soundtracks. Make sure to follow the Dolby Home Atmos Installation Guide for placement guidelines for the speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The random things to consider, without the specifics of room size or REW measurments are: Consider a second subwoofer first. This will give you more even and impactful bass performance in your room. Second, if Atmos is something you want to pursue, learn about how it is implemented HERE. You don't need modules or in-ceiling, you can use elevation speaker on your wall or ceiling mounted small bookshelves, too... there are a lot of options... it just ultimately depends on your goals!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All said:
What is your room size: L x W x H
Is it open to other areas?
How far do you sit from the speakers?
Do you have room behind your Listening Position?

Photos will help some of our more Atmos-experienced friends really help you decide what to do and how to maximize your process and installation.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys!

Room is - 14 x 15 x 9

Sealed room - no room behind listening area.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So you mean 2 more rear surrounds?

Would that be better than just adding Atmos heights?

We are watching lots of Netflix 4K Content so want to be sure I am getting best sound for that scenario

Would swapping out the Prime Sats for the Ultra Surrounds be better and then using the Prime Sats for Heights?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

We are watching lots of Netflix 4K Content so want to be sure I am getting best sound for that scenario

Would swapping out the Prime Sats for the Ultra Surrounds be better and then using the Prime Sats for Heights?
Use bookshelf speakers for the side surrounds and rear surrounds, not 'surround speakers' that have a dipole or bipole layout. The Prime Elevation speakers might do well for 'height' speakers, if you can not install actual ceiling speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all

I currently have 5.1 SVS Prime setup with a 12" SVS subwoofer

I just bought a new 4K LG TV and Marantz SR6013 9.2 AVR

I would like to add more speakers either heights or surrounds?

Not sure which would provide better sounds with the new 4K UHD & Atmos/Dolby Vision technology

Also don't know whether front heights or back heights would create better sound stage?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks
Well first, adding rear heights to 5.1 isn’t a thing, and wouldn’t be as valuable as front heights by them selves.
You don’t have enough room behind the LP for rear surrounds so I would recommend against trying to stuff any speakers behind you.
Also, 5.1.4 is much more immersive than 7.1.2, and again since you don’t have room behind you, I wouldn’t try and put top rears in place either although I’ve seen it before.
So in your room, I would probably aim for 5.1.2 with top fronts, or front heights(prime elevation would fit nicely) if you can’t go in ceiling.
When I went from 5.x to 7.x the effect was not as big as I expected, so imo cramming an extra set of speakers “somewhere” behind you will be to very little effect. Still, I’d never get rid of mine and currently enjoy 7.3.4.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Since you’re watching a lot of 4K Netflix, I believe you have access to all their atmos films. In that case I would absolutely go for Atmos. There’s also hundred of BD’s and 4K BD’s with atmos tracks.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
A lot of Netflix currently is DD 5.1+. But your AVR will upconvert any DD 5.1 track to Dolby Surround, which will give you convincing overhead height effects even if it's not a native Atmos soundtrack.

Personally I would take 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 because I find 4 overhead channels more immersive than 2 overhead channels with surround backs. But opinions vary of course.

You could always go 7.1.4 with an external amp for the 2 front channels - as the 6013 does support 11-channel processing.

The Prime Elevation will work well for side surround, rear surround and overhead height effects and has a built-in wall mount bracket. Be sure to use the ceiling safety lock if you mount Prime Elevation on the ceiling.

Prime Satellite also works well for these channels - but you would need to source a wall/ceiling bracket. Prime Satellite has a 1/4-20 threaded insert on the back for ball/clamp style brackets.

My own HT has four Prime Satellites on the ceiling with a ball/clamp bracket and the L-shaped rod. They hang naturally at almost the perfect angle and just needed to be toed-in. But they are more visually conspicuous than Prime Elevations.

In addition to the link shadyJ provided above - you can also go here and see all of the Dolby Atmos system variations - and they will also provide recommended speaker placement. The most common ones we recommend are overhead down-firing:
While they don't specifically mention the recommended height for the side surrounds and rear surrounds, we've found that about 1 foot above ear level when seated works well. You don't want to mount the side/rear surrounds too high, of you'll lose the horizontal plane of envelopment.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Just to add to @Ed Mullen. You’re right about a specific height for surrounds, but it does show h2(surround height) shouldn’t be more than h1(mains height)x1.25. I agree that about a foot above works well due to couches and other listeners heads. Mine ended up at about 1.55xh1 and works great.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Since you’re watching a lot of 4K Netflix, I believe you have access to all their atmos films. In that case I would absolutely go for Atmos. There’s also hundred of BD’s and 4K BD’s with atmos tracks.
Atmos with Netflix is very limited in content and devices that can actually play it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis