Advice re Children's Audio Equipment

D

Delaney

Audiophyte
I'm not an audiogeek, but I am definitely an audiogeek-appreciater. I want to figure out a really great audio system to set up for my young grandchildren. I'm definitely not finding everything I want in one system so maybe you guys could help me choose the parts. I believe I want components: speakers, kid headphones (with loudness control) - got these already, a player, and separate, removable sturdy (flash) media. I want the benefits of CDs (as in kids who can't read yet can put on what they want), but don't need 100 discs).
Here's what I'm thinking:
*I prefer an audio only system (kids are so distracted by video), great sound quality = good speakers or a player with good built-in speakers. One of my children is a musician and several grandchildren may be musically gifted (of course *I* think so!) and I care a lot about how it sounds.
* Player should be either easy to navigate or not need navigatation - something that will keep playing through a playlist or through whatever media it's reading.
*This part is really important because it will be used by kids of different ages and interests - I want a system that could use removable flash media. I envision a board with hooks for colored keyring-style flashdrives, labelled "Elvis", "Little Kid Music", "Classical", "Beatles", "Cartoon Movies", "Funny Stories", "People Movies", "The Clash", etc. I have a huge collection of music and stories that I really want to share with them. I even converted all the story tapes and tapes of plays their parents listened to and MADE when they were children - which are priceless. This way it is very usable, but everything is backed up, and I will be able to replicate the gift for each of my children's families.

Do you know of a system or can you give me ideas for parts that would do what I'm trying to do?

Are there things I haven't thought of that you have in your own children's systems?

I'd be thrilled for some real help - collecting, gathering and importing the music and stories is something I've spent a lot of time on and I'd love the setup to reflect the care and love for music I'm trying to manifest!!

I believe that music, stories, and learning to really listen are important parts of childhood that bring real riches all life long.

Thank You!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
You didn't give a budget so it's hard to recommend too many things. One thing you might consider is the Oppo BD player that includes USB ports for thumbdrive media. This is truly a universal player which may come in handy if you would like to explore high quality multi-channel classical recordings on SACD or DVD-A.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to include a video display of some kind. The Oppo will also display your photo albums and home movies transfered to USB or DVD. Also, many receivers come today with complex setup menus that are easier to navigate using an on-screen display, so your life would be easier even if you included a small 13-19 inch display for functional purposes. Small displays are getting incredibly inexpensive these days.

For more suggestions on speakers and receivers or separates, some guidance on budget would really be necessary.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
What you are trying to put together for your grandkids sounds very cool!

Seems like perfect application for a <$300 netbook with decent sized hard drive (250GB would hold more than you need I would bet). Just point and click on various icons as described and you are good to go. Output to powered speakers - lots of those to choose from. Audioengine A5s get lots of love in the "community".

I know you want audio-only, so I suppose your older stuff from your kids is not on video? As the grandkids start to perform that will likely be on video, so the netbook would also give you that flexibility if/when needed.

Links: netbook - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Acer-eMachines-eM250-1162-Netbook-Notebook-Laptop_W0QQitemZ220532588805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item3358c44105

Audioengine A5s - http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Powered-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000OABTPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263481995&sr=8-1

D

Delaney

Audiophyte
Thanks/Budget

Thanks for the ideas! I guess the budget would be definitely under $1000, and closer to $500, because I want to repeat the set up for each of my children's families. I've actually already transferred all the stuff from when my children were young from audiotape (video existed then but our family was at the other end of the crunchy/geeky scale) to digital files, as well as imported CDs and purchased other digital music, so the digitizing/collecting part of the project is complete.
I'll check out the OppoBD and the Audioengine A5s.
Thanks for taking time to help me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis