L

Loganmutt

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver that powers a Samsung HDTV, PS3, and home surround sound speakers. For that last few months sometimes when I turn the TV on it does not recogize the Yamaha until I unplug and plug the main HDMI cable from the TV to the Yahama. Yesterday a different problem started. I turn on the TV and I can see only a faint picture in a pink hue. I get audio fine, but the picture is distorted. When I switch the input to the PS3, which is what i use as a DVD player, the faint picture is still there but the display on the Yamaha switchs from "PCM" to "Decoder off". I have unplugged and replugged in everything several times. I also switched the main HMDI cable from the Yamaha to the TV but the problem persists. I don't know much about this stuff so any suggestions are appreciated. Is it the TV or the Yamaha receiver? Thanks again for any suggestions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver that powers a Samsung HDTV, PS3, and home surround sound speakers. For that last few months sometimes when I turn the TV on it does not recogize the Yamaha until I unplug and plug the main HDMI cable from the TV to the Yahama. Yesterday a different problem started. I turn on the TV and I can see only a faint picture in a pink hue. I get audio fine, but the picture is distorted. When I switch the input to the PS3, which is what i use as a DVD player, the faint picture is still there but the display on the Yamaha switchs from "PCM" to "Decoder off". I have unplugged and replugged in everything several times. I also switched the main HMDI cable from the Yamaha to the TV but the problem persists. I don't know much about this stuff so any suggestions are appreciated. Is it the TV or the Yamaha receiver? Thanks again for any suggestions.
Did you tried to connect ps3 straight to tv with hdmi ?

L

Loganmutt

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply. No, I did not try that. What is strange is that now the TV picture is back. I left the TV on with the distorted picture and 30 minutes later the picture was back. There is something obviously wrong. Does that narrow down the issue at all?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your reply. No, I did not try that. What is strange is that now the TV picture is back. I left the TV on with the distorted picture and 30 minutes later the picture was back. There is something obviously wrong. Does that narrow down the issue at all?
that means it's not the cable, but still not 100% point to real issue.
connect ps3 straight to tv just for test - see how it works - if there are no issues - it's an issue with AVR , but if there are issues - that's a problem with ether source - ps3 or TV. do you have any other HDMI sources - cable or dvd player??

L

Loganmutt

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply. Right now its still working properly. Yes, I have a HDMI cable connection as well. I use my ps3 as my DVD player so no other connections. When I hook up the ps3 to the Tv it works fine. Sounds like it is the AVR?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your reply. Right now its still working properly. Yes, I have a HDMI cable connection as well. I use my ps3 as my DVD player so no other connections. When I hook up the ps3 to the Tv it works fine. Sounds like it is the AVR?
Good news - You TV and PS3 are fine !

Even better news - New Receiver is coming in soon.
If you don't care about 3d stuff checkout refub Marantz 6004 at ac4l.com

L

Loganmutt

Audiophyte
Thanks for your help- it is appreciated. My receiver is pretty new. Is it worth tying to fix the Yamaha RX-V465? I looked at the Morantz and that looks like a good deal. The problem is I only have barely 6 inchs of height in my entertainment center to accommodate the receiver. The morantz is 6 and 3/8 of an inch.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your help- it is appreciated. My receiver is pretty new. Is it worth tying to fix the Yamaha RX-V465? I looked at the Morantz and that looks like a good deal. The problem is I only have barely 6 inchs of height in my entertainment center to accommodate the receiver. The morantz is 6 and 3/8 of an inch.
is it still on the warranty?

L

Loganmutt

Audiophyte
Nope, its out of warranty. And of couse, I did not kick down for the extended protection plan through BestB. Looks like it makes sense to buy new. I appreciate your expertise in figuring this out. Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope, its out of warranty. And of couse, I did not kick down for the extended protection plan through BestB. Looks like it makes sense to buy new. I appreciate your expertise in figuring this out. Thanks!
Sorry bro, but ac4l has large selection of receivers, I'm not huge fan of really thin Marantz units, but you should checkout the rest of models and maybe they'll have one physical dimensions.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Loganmutt,

Here's some more thoughts on what's going on.

First a quick lesson on HDMI. There is a 5 volt lead in the HDMI cord, and if the voltage dips or gains even just a little bit (200mv I believe is the allowed drop/spike) you can get the pink screen, or the green screen, or the sparkly screen that people have had issues with, with HDMI connections.

Now with that being said, these voltage drops are usually caused from a stress on the cable, especially near the connector housing, and from to much heat by the connector.

Make sure that your HDMI cords are not crimped or bent in any way, and its as cool as possible by where the hdmi cords are coming out.

Now what is going on with the receiver is that the TV, the receiver, and the PS3 are all communicating and "authenticating" the HDMI signal and that takes a ton of back and forth communication (all acrross the same cable that is still trying to send 1080p and lossless HD audio, and its just a big burden to put on a single connection).

I have found that with many entry level receivers from various brands that this HDMI problem happens more often than with higher end models. If there is too much heat buildup by the connection on the HDMI I've seen that be a cause for failure of HDMI signal transfer.

Why the system works after you unplug the HDMI and reconnect is that now all the equipment is in the powered on states, and not in the boot-up phase, all of the signals are hot, and so now you can reconnect and re-authenticate the HDMI signal without too much of a problem.

Also, have you contacted Yamaha yet about any known HDMI issues with the RX-V465?? If there is a known issue, you're usually still covered even if you're out of warranty.

Try giving Yamaha a call and see what they say.

In regards to the decoder off/vs. PCM on the yamaha...go into the setup menu on the PS3, and find sound settings in the setup on the leftside of the XMB (the cross media bar).

Go into manual audio setup, and turn off all of the coded signals (DD, DTS, AAC, etc.). Then click and select all of the PCM signals up to the 5.1 mixes. (if you run 7.1 then select the 7.1 options as well.)

This will allow the PS3 to do all of the audio decoding so you don't need to rely on the receiver. That should allow the decoder off to no longer occur.

Anyways. Hope that helps.

-adam

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is I only have barely 6 inchs of height in my entertainment center to accommodate the receiver. The morantz is 6 and 3/8 of an inch.
Receivers need room to breathe from the top - to protect from
over heating, and causing damage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis