Advice on subwoofer

P

PatKen007

Audiophyte
So i have a pair of audioengine Hd3 for my PC. I am very happy with the sound of it, but i am looking to add a subwoofer. I dont want a big subwoofer, i am limited on my space. Any subjection? I

I use my pc for gaming, music and movies.

Sorry if my english is not really good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So i have a pair of audioengine Hd3 for my PC. I am very happy with the sound of it, but i am looking to add a subwoofer. I dont want a big subwoofer, i am limited on my space. Any subjection? I

Also... to help us make a more appropriate suggestion, where are you located?
(There are many products that are really only available in the US, and shipping them can be very expensive.)

P

PatKen007

Audiophyte
Also... to help us make a more appropriate suggestion, where are you located?
(There are many products that are really only available in the US, and shipping them can be very expensive.)
Quebec Canada

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Do yourself a favour and go on Kijiji and search for subwoofers in a 250km radius from your home. All my PSB subs which are in use in my home were bought off of kijiji and work really well despite their age. There is lots to be found on kijiji.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration is that integration of a sub is not going to be ideal with your other gear....altho some active speakers provide for crossover to a sub....

P

PatKen007

Audiophyte
Do yourself a favour and go on Kijiji and search for subwoofers in a 250km radius from your home. All my PSB subs which are in use in my home were bought off of kijiji and work really well despite their age. There is lots to be found on kijiji.
Am looking for advice on what to buy, not where to buy it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The idea is that if you search for used gear, you may find something local which is several classes of quality above what you can afford to buy new and still remain within budget. I picked up several Martin Logan subwoofers for just a few hundred bucks (worth well over $1,000) a couple of years ago. Used subwoofers can often be a great value if you do some research, and you can ask about specific models which are available to you locally here and get reasonable feedback on the quality of them.

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
I tend to agree with the above. Look for used SVS or PSB or JL audio on kijiji or marketplace. New will usually more than double the price. The other good thing with used is you can usually try it IN YOUR ROOM which is key and resell it for mostly the same price. Maybe tedious and more iterations required but the end result will most likely be better. (Plusieurs essaies et erreur mais tu trouveras certainement ce qui réponds a tes gouts et besoins) ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just trying to save you some money but hey, if you have money to burn, go for it. For what's it worth try and stick to Canadian subs as you'll be hammered on duty and exchange rate.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the "where to buy" determines what is available, so that can be important as well. Best bang for dollar is SVS but that will be at the top of your budget. The ported SVS PB-1000 Pro is $1099 on electronicsforless.ca while the sealed SB-1000 Pro is $829.00. I went with the sealed SB-2000 Pro because I needed something smaller, but the ported version will perform better at the lowest frequencies. If those are too big, they have the PSB Alpha S8 on sale for $599 but don't expect any 8" sub to perform as well as a 12" SVS subwoofer. If you move to to an 8" or 10" driver there will be some compromises. The SB-1000 Pro is a 13" enclosure so if that is the right size, that would be my recommendation for new models. With subwoofers, displacement matters so go as big as you can and ported models if you have space.

On the used market, my preference is canuckaudiomart.com. You can narrow the search to QC and ON. Kijiji can be hit and miss and you need to test everything before buying. I have had no issues with sellers on canuckaudiomart. I do not see used SVS subs for sale very often, but used you might find a nice Paradigm, PSB or RSL. You can post a link to the ad and ask for advice here.

Avoid the cheap subs from BestBuy. I started with a 10" Klipsch for $250 and it was a waste of money. You will get more enjoyment and longer use out of a quality brand like SVS, RSL or Paradigm.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@PatKen007 The links are for your information you to look up subs for your PC. There are subs for PC's and for HT applications. Click on any of the links/websites to see if their info fits your needs or not for using a PC as you originally described. Perhaps I missed the boat????

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis