Advice on specific bookshelf speaker, amp and digital source upgrade decision

L

LaMonster

Audiophyte
I'm looking to upgrade to a truly nice sounding pair of bookshelf speakers from my Auduoengine HD6 now (which are all-in-one) and interested in advice from forum friends like you all. I'll try to give you all some meaningful parameters.
Budget: $2000 including speakers, amp and something to stream to them with (could be as simple as a nice, cheap apt-x BT receiver or a Bluesound Powernode, which would cover all the bases)
Listening purpose: only music, no HT. And I listen to a wide variety of stuff from metal to hip-hop, folk, jazz, acoustic, noise I want them to sound good with all/most of these genres, not overly colored.
Tonal quality: I'm thinking a relatively revealing, neutral tone is right. I don't enjoy warm sounding stereos.
Room: this is my open floor plan living room, about 15 feet front to back (speakers face this direction), and maybe 30+ feet wide, stretching into the dining area and kitchen. I'd love to orient the speakers down the long side, but my wife won't have it. So it will be good to have wider dispersion since one can't always sit in the sweet spot. Ceilings are 9ft.
Gear: I am retaining my sweet REL Strata III sub, 10" sub that is very musical. Therefore. I don't need these speakers to be bass heavy.
Wife factors: This is the hardest part and the real reason I'm asking you guys for input. First, the speakers have to be walnut veneer or at least walnut colored. Second, they can't be too much bigger than the HD6s. Third, she would prefer powered (hates gear and wires), but I could probably convince her of a small all-in-one like the Bluesound Powernode. Fourth, she's going to force me to put them on the low media cabinet, not on proper stands, which on the plus side, saves me money on stands!
My goal is to get significantly better, sharper sound quality, while retaining the simplicity she needs and not spending a fortune. I'm open to good deals of used gear also and love to find closeout deals. I don't need the latest and greatest, but it's hard to find good digital gear used.
Currently, I'm looking at two main setup options:
1) a passive speaker paired with the Bluesound Powernode 2i, but hard to find walnut in many models. Paradigm Prestige 15b and Philharmonitor are on the list, but they both kind of blow the budget.
2) active setup, like Dynaudio Xeo 4 (not available in Walnut tho). My top choice for this option now is the AVI DM10, which is in Walnut but requires a cheap digital source. I'm thinking of scraping by with a Bluetooth receiver or the AudioPro Link1 because I have one of their portable speakers for a spare room already, but their app is clunky.

Tons of info. Hope someone has some good options. Thanks guys!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not quite sure about what you're looking electronics wise (honestly, don't overthink it - a Denon X3400 should do the trick)
But you have a rather large room and fairly strict size limitation. If you're realistic about your music listening sound level goals then I'd contact Dennis at Philharmonic Audio and ask for a price quote for Mini monitor in Salk's custom veneer (from stock sealed at $700 you should still be within your budget)
http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BMR is a great speaker but could be too big given OPs size limitation. I recommended a basically very similar speaker, but in a smaller box and less bass as desired.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
BMR is a great speaker but could be too big given OPs size limitation. I recommended a basically very similar speaker, but in a smaller box and less bass as desired.

The Canton Vento 820.2 is smaller (6in driver) and sounds great. (Not the equal of the BMR but a great speaker). It’s also half his budget at Accessories for Less new and no tax and no shipping. I really like mine in my bedroom setup. They are white gloss not walnut. They are a little more in black gloss. Not sure if saving money is the goal or using every penny of the budget for the best at that price is. Heck, add a sub from Rythmik like I did so you can enjoy heavy bass music. (Using 80hz crossover at AVR) :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
...So it will be good to have wider dispersion since one can't always sit in the sweet spot. Ceilings are 9ft.

...Fourth, she's going to force me to put them on the low media cabinet, not on proper stands, which on the plus side, saves me money on stands!

...My goal is to get significantly better, sharper sound quality, while retaining the simplicity she needs and not spending a fortune. I'm open to good deals of used gear also and love to find closeout deals. I don't need the latest and greatest, but it's hard to find good digital gear used.
There are some problems here. Media cabinets are usually pretty bad in that they will have all sort of damaging acoustic effects on the sound, especially if the speakers are placed in some kind of enclosed space or cubby. This is especially true for wide dispersion speakers which will be much more affected by nearby surfaces. If the speakers are going to be placed in a space that doesn't give them much distance from nearby surfaces, I would looking into controlled directivity speakers. I would look at Hsu Research speakers or Klipsch Reference Premier speakers. Their coverage my still be enough to catch all of your listening positions, especially if your listening positions aren't too close to the speakers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
This set up may suit your needs. Edifier S3000Pro (active monitors) $799.99, paired with this Outlaw Audio two channel receiver $849.00 and you're under budget.

$1649.00 combined

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/s3000pro

Review of the S200oPro

https://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/edifier-s2000-bluetooth-powered-speaker

Receiver

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

"THE OUTLAW AUDIO RR 2160 STEREO RECEIVER FLAT OUT SOUNDS BETTER THAN ANY RECEIVER OR AMPLIFIER I'VE HEARD FOR ITS $799 ASKING PRICE." - Steve Guttenberg, CNET

"MAKE NO MISTAKE, THE OUTLAW AUDIO RR2160 STEREO RETRO RECEIVER MAY LOOK OLD FASHIONED, BUT IT IS READY FOR THE FUTURE. YOU WILL WANT TO RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET WITH THIS OUTLAW!" - Jim Milton, Secrets of Home Theater and Hi-Fidelity

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Not quite sure about what you're looking electronics wise (honestly, don't overthink it - a Denon X3400 should do the trick)
But you have a rather large room and fairly strict size limitation. If you're realistic about your music listening sound level goals then I'd contact Dennis at Philharmonic Audio and ask for a price quote for Mini monitor in Salk's custom veneer (from stock sealed at $700 you should still be within your budget)
http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html
+1 on checking out the Philharmonic Audio and getting something that's gonna wow your wife with its finish and sound terrific. that's a tough act.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For electronics, I'd probably take the Yamaha RX-A770 from Amazon for $549 (Dynamic Power = 240W into 2 ohms x 2Ch).

A dealer might be able to get you a new RX-A780 for the same price.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a770_u/specs.html#product-tabs

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-Audio-Component-RX-A770BL/dp/B06ZYRWSQY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548355495&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Yamaha+avr&refinements=p_89:Yamaha+Audio|Yamaha&psc=1

For music, I would stream from iPad/Tablet/Phone to MusicCast on the Yamaha AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If RBH still has some SX-T1 available, I would get a pair on Clearance sale. Just place them on 2 subwoofers. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis