Advice on REW/MiniDSP

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
I am thinking of getting into REW and getting a MiniDSP 2x4HD to use on my subs. I have watched some videos and read the manual for the MiniDSP. I have a Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 SVS PB-1000 in front, and 2 Klipsch SW-110 in the rear. My theater is in my basement which is about 50ft x 20ft with 7.5ft ceiling and all open. I thought about getting a mic and using REW to see my sub response before getting the MiniDSP to see if I would even need it. My sub placement is pretty limited so I am not sure if the MiniDSP would help if I have a placement issue.

My questions are:

Will the MiniDSP be able to help my response if it turns out my subs are not in the optimal spot?

Would I benefit from the MiniDSP having 2 different pairs of subs?

Can you leave the MiniDSP on all the time or should it be turned off when my gear turns off?

Should I level match or gain match the subs before REW?

Also, I read in the MiniDSP manual that they warn that you can damage your equipment if you are not careful. What do they mean by that?

Thanks.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
REW is free, so start there if cost is an issue.

Armed with rta software, you may be able to do better (highly subjective) than YPAO, assuming you have the requisite eq and crossover setting flexibility to tweak things.

By virtue of using multiple subs, you're probably ameliorating modal lumpiness already. Don't overlook passive means (i.e. playing with sub locations) for best effect.

Adding a miniDSP seems a bit expensive, and somewhat redundant given what you already have, unless you opt for an even more expensive Dirac equipped unit. Dirac seems a step above YPAO. FWIW, I am confident in my own ability to dial in a system as good as or better than Audyssey or YPAO, but think Dirac would be hard to match...which is just a wild guess, as I've not yet used Dirac.

Not sure about the warning in the miniDSP manual, but anytime you're doing calibration realize that test signals, particularly continuous signals, have way less crest factor than music, and are more demanding of speakers and amplification. Just don't do anything foolish, like testing the acoustic roll-off of your mains at 95db using test tones and you should be fine.

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the response. I have thought about getting the UMIK-1 and REW to see what the response is and if I can do anything. Then, maybe get the MiniDSP after if I can't improve much. I do like the fact that the subs will become one virtual sub with the MiniDSP.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the response. I have thought about getting the UMIK-1 and REW to see what the response is and if I can do anything. Then, maybe get the MiniDSP after if I can't improve much. I do like the fact that the subs will become one virtual sub with the MiniDSP.
I've done this and it helped me dial in my subs without the miniDSP. Doesn't stop me from wanting one to see if it can do better, but I can also recreate a LOT of what the miniDSP does with the newer Audyssey app and companion software.

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, panteragstk. I guess the first step is to measure with REW. Only then will I know what I am dealing with. That's going to give me a lot of info of what's happening in my room.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that some REW measurements and positional eq is a great idea before buying the minidspHD. I am glad to have one, but honestly between audyssey and finding good locations you can get really close. I also have three subs and a hover couch so the mini is great for all that.
Also. To the point of gain vs level matching, I’m a fan of level matching. Just doesn’t make sense in my mind to gain match.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am thinking of getting into REW and getting a MiniDSP 2x4HD to use on my subs. I have watched some videos and read the manual for the MiniDSP. I have a Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 SVS PB-1000 in front, and 2 Klipsch SW-110 in the rear. My theater is in my basement which is about 50ft x 20ft with 7.5ft ceiling and all open. I thought about getting a mic and using REW to see my sub response before getting the MiniDSP to see if I would even need it. My sub placement is pretty limited so I am not sure if the MiniDSP would help if I have a placement issue.

My questions are:

Will the MiniDSP be able to help my response if it turns out my subs are not in the optimal spot?

Can you leave the MiniDSP on all the time or should it be turned off when my gear turns off?

Also, I read in the MiniDSP manual that they warn that you can damage your equipment if you are not careful. What do they mean by that?

Thanks.
Hello James. I have three Yamaha based systems, two of which have multiple subs and I used REW and a miniDSP2x4HD per multiple sub system to dial them into the room. I used this video to step me through the process. Its an 87 minutes long but the guy is very thorough.

I would start off with REW first to see what your dealing with.

Before I delve into the video, I will answer your questions based on my experience.

Answering your first two questions. Yes to a point. All measurements should be taken from the MLP (main listener position) . The approach taken in the video is to start with one sub, measure the in room response, play with placement to see if you can find a more uniform (flat) response as possible. Keep the trace for comparison purposes. Add the second sub while leaving the first one on and measure again. Play with placement if you can. If not, play with the delay in REW with the idea of trying to achieve the flattest response. Keep the measurement for comparison purposes and repeat the process with each successive sub until you have all 4 subs working together. You will still have an uneven response in the room. You then use REW to calculate all the filters (based on whatever product you use to control the subs aka MiniDSP) as it tries to EQ the subs' in room at the MLP. Once the filters have been calculated by REW, you send the filter coefficients into the miniDSP. That's job number 1 for the miniDSP. It's the vehicle that implements the filters calculated by REW. The effect of the miniDSP is to turn 4 individual subs into one virtual sub at the MLP.

Mine is on all the time and it only gets turned off with the rest of the systems when thunder storms roll through.

Yes and I call it gain matching. I would gain match to your weakest sub as to not over drive them. Here's the link to the episode.

I'm not sure what they are referring too.

About the video.. Its very well done and the presenter does an awesome job stepping through REW, through the miniDSP, and what receiver settings should be while taking measurements. The receiver settings are critical with no DSP, no YPAO, and no crossovers being set.

Here's what I went through.. Look at posts 24-30

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
Hello James. I have three Yamaha based systems, two of which have multiple subs and I used REW and a miniDSP2x4HD per multiple sub system to dial them into the room. I used this video to step me through the process. Its an 87 minutes long but the guy is very thorough.

I would start off with REW first to see what your dealing with.

Before I delve into the video, I will answer your questions based on my experience.

Answering your first two questions. Yes to a point. All measurements should be taken from the MLP (main listener position) . The approach taken in the video is to start with one sub, measure the in room response, play with placement to see if you can find a more uniform (flat) response as possible. Keep the trace for comparison purposes. Add the second sub while leaving the first one on and measure again. Play with placement if you can. If not, play with the delay in REW with the idea of trying to achieve the flattest response. Keep the measurement for comparison purposes and repeat the process with each successive sub until you have all 4 subs working together. You will still have an uneven response in the room. You then use REW to calculate all the filters (based on whatever product you use to control the subs aka MiniDSP) as it tries to EQ the subs' in room at the MLP. Once the filters have been calculated by REW, you send the filter coefficients into the miniDSP. That's job number 1 for the miniDSP. It's the vehicle that implements the filters calculated by REW. The effect of the miniDSP is to turn 4 individual subs into one virtual sub at the MLP.

Mine is on all the time and it only gets turned off with the rest of the systems when thunder storms roll through.

Yes and I call it gain matching. I would gain match to your weakest sub as to not over drive them. Here's the link to the episode.

I'm not sure what they are referring too.

About the video.. Its very well done and the presenter does an awesome job stepping through REW, through the miniDSP, and what receiver settings should be while taking measurements. The receiver settings are critical with no DSP, no YPAO, and no crossovers being set.

Here's what I went through.. Look at posts 24-30

Thank you very much, 3db. I have actually watched those videos. Very good information.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis