Advice on Mid/Tweeter replacements

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
Seeking recommendations on replacement midrange and tweeters.
2/ 6 inch mids. 2/ 2 inch tweeters.

To be paired with Klipsch RF7 III 10 inch woofers.

The receiver I’m using is the Sony STR DE705. 230w/channel.

Budget: $500 or less.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Seeking recommendations on replacement midrange and tweeters.
2/ 6 inch mids. 2/ 2 inch tweeters.

To be paired with Klipsch RF7 III 10 inch woofers.

The receiver I’m using is the Sony STR DE705. 230w/channel.

Budget: $500 or less.
When replacing drivers you have to use exact original replacements. There are no substitutions.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
When replacing drivers you have to use exact original replacements. There are no substitutions.
There isn’t exactly any originals. I’m piecing together a 3 way speaker setup.

Looking for good sounding 8ohm mids and highs to add to the Klipsch woofers.

Lots of fruitless searching for individual speakers. Mostly all I see are complete speaker boxes or car audio junk made for rap music.

I wouldn’t be opposed to getting Klipsch mids and tweeters if I could buy them separately.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There isn’t exactly any originals. I’m piecing together a 3 way speaker setup.

Looking for good sounding 8ohm mids and highs to add to the Klipsch woofers.

Lots of fruitless searching for individual speakers. Mostly all I see are complete speaker boxes or car audio junk made for rap music.

I wouldn’t be opposed to getting Klipsch mids and tweeters if I could buy them separately.
I agree with TLSG. Substituting drivers in a speaker cabinet, unless you use exact original replacements, will never provide an acceptable performance. Each speaker driver has its own parameters including sensitivity, different impedance curve and so on that differ with those of other drivers. Also, the existing crossover would not work with newly installed drivers for the same reasons.
You would need a good knowledge of loudspeakers and their functioning to be able to come with satisfactory results, if you possibly could find drivers that would match the woofer. But you would have to redesign a new crossover with the appropriate L-pads required because of the disparity in the sensitivity of the new drivers. No, changing drivers in an existing enclosure is not an easy job and requires appropriate knowledge.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you really want to put together a diy speaker, but don't have the design chops, there are a lot of kits you could use (like try diysoundgroup.com). Likely none of the kits are designed for that Klipsch driver set you have, tho. If you obtained the parameters you could perhaps build a suitable box for the Klipsch driver but then figuring out mid/tweeter and crossover would be a major challenge.

The crites site tanktop mentioned I've seen mentioned by many Klipsch tweakers, particularly for older Klipsch speakers, but maybe they also have complete box/driver/crossover designs you can utilize for the drivers you have....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh boy...

That's not going to sound right at all unless you find drivers with the exact same parameters as the ones being replaced. Otherwise you'd have to start from scratch and redesign the crossovers along with the cabinet. I like HDs suggestion of going with a kit. You can get some really nice speakers for 5 hundo with diy.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
Sounds way over my head. Thanks for the advice everyone.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
Part 2.

Recommendations for online outlet that sells individual speakers at reasonable cost?
Thanks in advance

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Parts-Express have very decent budget speakers https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dayton-audio-best-budget-speakers-out-there.111365/

Dayton speakers are sold by Parts-Express and the Monolith units are sold online by Monoprice. In my opinion, you would have to spend more to get better performances.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the links. I’m just trying to get something decent for my workshop.

D

Dead Wax Dave

Audioholic Intern
What's your budget? How big is the space? What will you be driving them with?
Budget is about $500.
The space: Small. 15x20ft.
The receiver: Sony STR DE705 230w/channel.

I have the cabinets and 2 Klipsch RF7 10” woofers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Budget is about $500.
The space: Small. 15x20ft.
The receiver: Sony STR DE705 230w/channel.

I have the cabinets and 2 Klipsch RF7 10” woofers.
The RF7 cabinets?

FWIW the receiver is not 230wpc in the way it's usually discussed here; per the manual it's somewhere under 120wpc (for the fronts, not the rears) in the terms we usually use (at least 2ch driven continuously, 8 ohm, 20hz-20khz and spec'd at a fairly low THD%). I see in the manual specs it's rated dynamically for 225watts at 4 ohm, tho.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
With your budget, I'd definitely take a look at the darlings of the moment, the DCM TP series, that are in those posts linked above.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
With your budget, I'd definitely take a look at the darlings of the moment, the DCM TP series, that are in those posts linked above.
He could get 4 of those TFE100s. I wanna check out those out. I have a model lower with the same woofer in a bookshelf speaker and it's impressed the hell out of me. It'd be foolish to spend 500 on frankenspeakers when those are available.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis