H

Horca

Audiophyte
I have a Rega IO all analog integrated amp I am wanting to hook up Sony x800mk2

the Sony has 2 USB ports audio out and video out.
It also has coaxial digital out.
I have been told to use dac to accomplish hookup, but no money right now and am afraid dac might change sound.
can I use coaxial cable with splitter to rca jacks on Rega? If this is possible, will the splitter degrade the sound.

Thank you for your attention, and look forward to some advice

Horca

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Rega IO all analog integrated amp I am wanting to hook up Sony x800mk2

the Sony has 2 USB ports audio out and video out.
It also has coaxial digital out.
I have been told to use dac to accomplish hookup, but no money right now and am afraid dac might change sound.
can I use coaxial cable with splitter to rca jacks on Rega? If this is possible, will the splitter degrade the sound.

Thank you for your attention, and look forward to some advice

Horca
You can not connect that Sony unit directly to your Rega. You HAVE to use a DAC. There is NO other solution whatsoever. That coax out is a digital audio out with the same spec as a Toslink optical out.

So, you either need a DAC or you need to get rid of the Rega. That player is really designed to connect to an AVR, AVP or TV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, why a multich digital optical disc player in the first place? Anything beyond the integrated amp like a tv or ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You've got two old 2ch analog integrated amps?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you TLS guy. can you recommend a Dac commensurate with system.

Horca
This will do the trick I think. However SACD is one bit Direct Stream Digital and NOT PCM. So if your player can not convert DSD to PCM you will be out of luck. I am not sure there is a DAC that will convert DSD to analog. Check and see if you player can output PCM from SACD DSD. Most can. So you will likely have to make a setting change on the player. DSD is an absolute nuisance, and a construct of Audiophhools, and very difficult to work with. In fact now no one does any more, and they always covert DSD to PCM for editing and processing and then convert back to DSD at the mastering phase, to complete an absolute con trick. DSD should never have happened, and is nothing but a nuisance raising costs to NO benefit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
unfortunately not at the moment. I was going to order the iota SA3 and PA3 but cant get a hold of them, or get a response to do order. I can order online, but wanted to make sure they were in stock 1st
Why buy another analog unit if you need digital?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd,

Analog is all I know. I am truly ignorant to the digital world. Never saw the need to enter it. I don't even have a TV. I have heard newer systems, but i have a love for the analog sound. I had been kicking around the idea of the Iotas for years to go with my B1+s for a couple of years now. I'm not opposed to digital if I can get the sound I'm looking for. I'ts a little daunting stepping in to a new realm, and where to start is difficult, however I am studying

Horca
Nothing particularly special about where analog comes into play....thinking there's some sort of quality issue just on the electronics on that point is idiotic.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy,
perhaps I should change my strategy for this amp. Maybe just use a Dac and a audio tecnica 120x usb and call it a day. If I went this route, would I be able to play music from my computer, or maybe download file to usb and play from it.

I have always been a plug and play guy since the late 60's. All analog and vintage gear. This is my 1st foray into the modern tech gear, so I am still ignorant, but I am studying, and trying to learn

Horca
The digital age is NOT plug and play. You have to move with the times. Life long education is crucial, for full enjoyment and satisfaction in life. In the absence of life long learning you end up a senile old geezer before your time and a premature half day out with the undertaker.

Digital front ends increase the possibilities, and avoids subsequent degradation as you process the sound and send it the final amplification stage and on the the speakers. All audio is analog in the end, you just want to keep it in the immutable digital stage as long as you can. If you have a legacy record collection as I do, then there is a point to owning a turntable. I own four, plus cassette and reel to reel decks. However I have embraced digital formats since 1984. Both can coexist and do without issue.

However horizons are expanded enormously now that audio has become intimately entwined with video. I have not owned an audio only system for 18 years now. But the audio possibilities have expanded along with the video. We are all called to life long leaning, including you. If not for that, I would still be winding a spring of an acoustic gramophone and sharpening fiber needles. Yes, I go back that far.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Seems some posts from @Horca have been deleted after I quickly browsed the thread yesterday. While the Sony X800M2 has a single hidden USB port up front, those are actually two HDMI ports around back.

Ignorance is and can continue to be bliss and in this case I’d stick with a DAC connected to the PC for output of digital media to an integrated amp. As mentioned, the Sony X800M2 is a digital machine that also requires a connection to a TV for any settings changes or media selections.

A DAC such as those by Topping are half the cost of the Sony player. Try selling it or barter for a DAC. Welcome to the forums.

IMG_4143.jpeg

H

Horca

Audiophyte
Trebdp83,
Thanks for the response, and input.

I had thought I had erased my original post also. I have figured out which direction to proceed, and did not want people to be wasting their time responding to a problem solved.

Horca

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis