Advice on complete set up

M

Mohtechnix

Audiophyte
Hi All

I am pretty new to the audiophile world and I am aware it’s an expensive habit and indeed a slippery slope but one I am happy to embark on.

I am currently running Marantz SR7013 receiver with Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers and a pair of XTZ 12.17 edge subwoofers along side a marantz TT15s turntable.

I did all the set up my self. The issue is there isn’t a massive noticeable improvement from when I had a monitor audio BX5 speakers with the Sony STR 1080 receiver, and an old Kef subwoofer. I calibrated the AVR and speaker using audessy and I checked the speaker distance for accuracy etc.

my questions are:

How can I measure the dB to ensure I am getting the best output?

Should I bite the bullet and pay someone to come and check this for me but then again that ruins the fun of it?

Do I need a Mini DSP or some sort of amp to get the best out of my system?

I mainly watch blu ray films, listen to soul, blues , house and hip hop on vinyls and Tidal Hifi. The turntable output is noticeably better but when I watch movies or listen to music there is no discernible difference in audio quality.

Thanks

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Hi All

I am pretty new to the audiophile world and I am aware it’s an expensive habit and indeed a slippery slope but one I am happy to embark on.

I am currently running Marantz SR7013 receiver with Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers and a pair of XTZ 12.17 edge subwoofers along side a marantz TT15s turntable.

I did all the set up my self. The issue is there isn’t a massive noticeable improvement from when I had a monitor audio BX5 speakers with the Sony STR 1080 receiver, and an old Kef subwoofer. I calibrated the AVR and speaker using audessy and I checked the speaker distance for accuracy etc.

my questions are:

How can I measure the dB to ensure I am getting the best output?

Should I bite the bullet and pay someone to come and check this for me but then again that ruins the fun of it?

Do I need a Mini DSP or some sort of amp to get the best out of my system?

I mainly watch blu ray films, listen to soul, blues , house and hip hop on vinyls and Tidal Hifi. The turntable output is noticeably better but when I watch movies or listen to music there is no discernible difference in audio quality.

Thanks
I mean how much better do you suppose the upgrade is? Generally speaking when it comes to audio they say the 3x rule applies. So if you paid for 300 dollars for your first set of speakers you’re probably not going to see a grand jump without going 750-900 on your new ones.

I am the last person to give advice as I need advice myself.

But speaker sensitivity plays a roll to, you check out your old vs new sensitivity and maybe then you can get a reasonable conclusion.

I just find it strange you are getting a noticeable difference on one end of the spectrum but not the others. Which is why hopefully someone with more knowledge can reach out to help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe your change was more a lateral move than expected? If you want to measure response a measurement mic and software like REW (Room EQ Wizard) would be in order....check out usb mics like the miniDSP Umik-1 or the Dayton UMM-6....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis