Advice on buying new vs old used Paradigm floorstanders

G

giderac

Audiophyte
Been browsing the used market and found a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V4 for 600$ from circa ~2004, how does this compare to say paradigms budget floor standers from today like the monior se 6000f (roughly 800$ for the pair), would be using them in a modest 5.1 system with a onkyo nr-6050 avr.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Been browsing the used market and found a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V4 for 600$ from circa ~2004, how does this compare to say paradigms budget floor standers from today like the monior se 6000f (roughly 800$ for the pair), would be using them in a modest 5.1 system with a onkyo nr-6050 avr.
I really disliked those older Paradigm towers. In particular that midrange driver was a horror show as far as I'm concerned. In recent years Paradigm have cleaned up their act a lot.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Some of the older Paradigm speakers were not great. I would bet the newer Premiere speakers are better, even if they come from a lower-cost line.

G

giderac

Audiophyte
Hmm interesting, thanks for the info/opinions guess it's not as great a deal as I thought.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Been browsing the used market and found a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V4 for 600$ from circa ~2004, how does this compare to say paradigms budget floor standers from today like the monitor se 6000f (roughly 800$ for the pair), would be using them in a modest 5.1 system with a onkyo nr-6050 avr.
I found the older Monitor line to sound rather bland and would expect the Studio 60 V4 to be as good or better than curent Monitor SE. Are they close enough that you can audition them and maybe visit a local Paradigm rep to hear the Monitor SE? The last iteration of the Studios (V5) was very good and the 60 is a solid speaker, although some think that the towers suffer from some minor issues compared to the Studio 20 bookshelf. If you're putting together a "modest" system, though, not a bad option at $600 but not as good as the Premier line. Best option is to try and listen to both as the Studio 60 will definitely have a different sound profile compared to the Monitor SE.

In that price range you should also consider the Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 reviewed here. Forum member @Danzilla31 has a pair and has been singing their praises.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would not look at the v.4 verison of the 60s for reasons stated above. The did make sigfincant revisions in the v5. which did improve the midrange. For $600 you can find better options. That being said, I would always demo and listen, as you are the one that has to live with them :)

G

giderac

Audiophyte
Appreciate the feedback, yeah it seems the v5 might have been worth it if I could haggle him down a bit but I'm big on neutrality and good midrange and high freq presentation and not so much on bass so I'll probably be passing on these thanks for everyone who chimed in

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis