Advice for the right speaker for my little sprout 100

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Hello all,
I’m seeking for an Advice for the right speaker for my little sprout 100. I know that you most disagree regarding the Sprout 100 but I wish you could hear it with the Polk Audio RTI-A7 Speakers.
My dilemma is: Should I stay with the Polk Audio speakers or pursue another pair of speakers?
I have in my mind the ELAC, KEF speakers but I don’t know the right model.

I would appreciate your advice.
Many thanks
Yannis

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember some of your other posts but not clear as to what your issue is now with the speakers. The amp you want to keep so imagine it's the speakers you're dissatisfied with now but why? Hard to recommend specific speakers as what you like is rather subjective....altho seeking better audio via speakers is the way to go generally, would help to know your budget and why you wish to keep using the BS Audio thing. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hello all,
I’m seeking for an Advice for the right speaker for my little sprout 100. I know that you most disagree regarding the Sprout 100 but I wish you could hear it with the Polk Audio RTI-A7 Speakers.
My dilemma is: Should I stay with the Polk Audio speakers or pursue another pair of speakers?
I have in my mind the ELAC, KEF speakers but I don’t know the right model.

I would appreciate your advice.
Many thanks
Yannis
What is your budget? Are you considering monitors or want to stick with floor standing speakers?I have not heard the Polks, so I cannot comment as to comparisons (I briefly heard the Sprout and thought it was a neat little unit). I think the Elac UniFi or KEF Q series might be a good match. With the 50WPC the Sprout offers, I would also look towards higher sensitivity speakers - the Klipschr-51M is raking in all sorts of great reviews (and you can get them a severely discounted prices).

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I remember some of your other posts but not clear as to what your issue is now with the speakers. The amp you want to keep so imagine it's the speakers you're dissatisfied with now but why? Hard to recommend specific speakers as what you like is rather subjective....altho seeking better audio via speakers is the way to go generally, would help to know your budget and why you wish to keep using the BS Audio thing. :)
Have you ever hear the Sprout 100?, or you’re just saying?
No offense but a real Audioholic is unbiased and open and doesn’t judge by saying “BS Audio etc.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
No offense but a real Audioholic is unbiased and open and doesn’t judge by saying “BS Audio etc.
When you've been around long enough you realize that there isn't much difference between amps when you're driving them within their means. Any "coloration" that an amp gives to your source input is also known as distortion.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
When you've been around long enough you realize that there isn't much difference between amps when you're driving them within their means. Any "coloration" that an amp gives to your source input is also known as distortion.
Makes sense...Money is the problem LOL

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's BS Audio because they sell a lot of bullshit (look at their cables and various accessories and how poorly some items measure). Paul McGowan literally spreads bullshit on the internet with several of his videos (because they sell that same bullshit). You can pay that much for a mediocre integrated amp, and good luck to you of course. Of course we have personal biases, don't kid yourself. I don't need to "hear" such an amp. I've got quite a few amps in the house, I can't imagine how a Sprout would impress me.

If anything you're going about this backwards....find speakers you want to use and then an appropriate amp.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
It's BS Audio because they sell a lot of bullshit (look at their cables and various accessories and how poorly some items measure). Paul McGowan literally spreads bullshit on the internet with several of his videos (because they sell that same bullshit). You can pay that much for a mediocre integrated amp, and good luck to you of course. Of course we have personal biases, don't kid yourself. I don't need to "hear" such an amp. I've got quite a few amps in the house, I can't imagine how a Sprout would impress me.

If anything you're going about this backwards....find speakers you want to use and then an appropriate amp.
You really should listen to something from PS audio.

But speakers are the main components for deciding how it sounds. (And room)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As stated in post #7

Find your speakers, then find the appropriate amp to drive them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That little Sprout does seem a competent design. It doubles it power to 100 watts into a four ohm speaker, 50 watts into 8 ohm.

I really do though have an issue with the design of those Polk speakers. The big issue is a passive crossover at 125 Hz. I don't care who designs it but I will say categorically, and have said this before, that you can not under any circumstances design a passive crossover that low. The bass is not going to be tight or of good quality. I note that every time a check the price on those speakers seems to drop. They are now practically having to give the junk away.

I would say that with somewhat limited power you should consider good speakers of above average sensitivity. I can well understand why you would want to get rid of those Polks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That little Sprout does seem a competent design. It doubles it power to 100 watts into a four ohm speaker, 50 watts into 8 ohm.

I really do though have an issue with the design of those Polk speakers. The big issue is a passive crossover at 125 Hz. I don't care who designs it but I will say categorically, and have said this before, that you can not under any circumstances design a passive crossover that low. The bass is not going to be tight or of good quality. I note that every time a check the price on those speakers seems to drop. They are now practically having to give the junk away.

I would say that with somewhat limited power you should consider good speakers of above average sensitivity. I can well understand why you would want to get rid of those Polks.
This is the original Sprout FR. If the Sprout 100 still has these design decisions......

1576506835206.png

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, that FR was from the original Sprout from S&V. Then, when they featured the Sprout100 in Stereophile, they didn't even measure it.

But, just scanning through this link gives me enough info to R-U-N!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You really should listen to something from PS audio.

But speakers are the main components for deciding how it sounds. (And room)
Nah, they're off the list of audio companies that deserve support. Why would "listening" to something on a BS Audio amp be impressive? Does it do something so wonky as to call attention to itself? I don't need a low power amp like this either, the only one I have less powerful than the sprout is a Lepai....now that's an interesting amp for the money, the BS one....not so much.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, that FR was from the original Sprout from S&V. Then, when they featured the Sprout100 in Stereophile, they didn't even measure it.

But, just scanning through this link gives me enough info to R-U-N!

Well I need to revise my opinion obviously. I never saw the like of that. What a horrible FR. a 7 db peak at 50 Hz and then a brick wall roll off. Yes, the OP needs to ditch that sprout. That will sound bad with just about anything. That is a horrible FR for vinyl as that will really coincide with some arm cartridge resonances. No bass below 50 Hz, you could not even add any sort of sub to that.

I never saw the like of that and don't want to again. Avoid Sprouts like the plague!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis