Advice for surround sound equipment and speakers.

L

LCRush

Audioholic Intern
I am at a standstill. I have researched and checked and now I am totally confused as to what I can get for a given price. Please suggest anything (everything). I would like the best, but I now know I cannot afford it. See the room layout and previously suggested equipment, including the price, below. Please give me your best advice.

I recently purchased a Samsung DLP TV, 50", Model number HL-R5067W. I really like it.
Room size: approximately 15' X 15' (bad I know). Length is complicated by fact that there is no posterior wall, but only the dining room and kitchen (separated by eating bar). Dining area and kitchen add another 10' to length. Ceiling is 8' high.
Originally wanted to use a 6.2 surround sound system, but there is no wall to place back speaker. Mounting to ceiling is difficult, even though there is an upstairs. Would have to pull up rug in upstairs master bedroom to facilitate wiring, unless placed across the ceiling. Using a 5.2 system would eliminate this problem, but I would still like a 6.1 system. Side walls will allow for mounting surround speakers.
Floor is tile covered with an area rug that is 9' X 12'.
I am looking at surround sound systems. I live in Hawaii and shipping is expensive, but it may be less expensive than using Hawaii based dealers. I have been trying to work with a dealer on another Island, but his suggestions are over my budget, even for his "good" system, vs. his "best" system.

"Good System" suggested: Denon DVD-2910; Integra DTR-6.6 (available later in November); Polk Audio CS15 for center speaker; Polk Audio FX13 for directional surround speakers; Polk Audio RTi10 for floorstanding loudspeakers; Velodyne DD-10 for subwoofer; RTiT2+ for Touchscreen Remote (don't know why I need such a fancy remote?).
This system is quoted at just under $8000.00! Does not include connectors/wires or installation. Does not include Hawaii State Tax of 4.17%, but does include shipping. I need to get a less expensive but good quality system. Does anyone have suggestions? My budget is for a maximum of $4500.00, but less would be a blessing. If nothing can be done for my maximum budget, I could wait until I save enough for something more expensive. Please suggest. I will not hold anyone except myself responsible for what I end up purchasing. Also, if anyone can suggest a company from which to buy, I would appreciate it.
Aloha, Larry

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
You could look at the recommended $5000 system on this site. That package includes a $2000 television, so you are looking at only $3000 for a respectable system.

I'm sure others will give you more specific recommendations. Your $4500 should buy quite a nice setup.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
A good chunk of that $8000 is taken up by the DD10. The DD10 is out of velodyne's flagship(expensive) series, I'm sure that some of their lower spec subs would do the job for you, the CHT-R 15 is half the price with a 15" sub that in most cases would fit the bill.

There are other bang-for-buck subs around like SVS, HSU and others. I havn't heard them but many people here find them to be great value.

cheers:)

L

LCRush

Audioholic Intern
Thanks and everyone keep replying...please

Both Soundsfine and MACCA350 gave me great info. I looked at the $5000 system and have now looked at the Velodyne DLS5000R and the newer Velodyne SPL-800R. I have not looked at the prices of the latter, but now I feel I can start to make some decisions. I think I can put together a set-up with the information from the two responders. I feel I can be a little more confident in buying equipment and will feel even better with more replies.
Aloha and Mahalo, Larry :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis