Advice for new receiver with ARC

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
CEC is cool when all devices work with it. It can be a pain for boxes not compatible.

Not a fan of the TV being the source or being the HDMI switching hub. (When ARC is needed) It’s better to have a streamer and go to the AVR directly. (Firestick/Apple TV/Roku). The TV should only be the display ideally.
I agree. My receiver is the hub, with the exception of the cable tv STB which needs its own HDMI input so I can disable Deep Color on that input due to an incompatibility with my legacy STB which is 1080 only. The cable connection is used only for local HDTV network broadcasts. All other devices go thru the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as streaming media Netflix compression algorithms for audio is as lossless as it gets. In comparison to Disc media streaming is “lossier” but it is handicapped by the amount of bandwidth needed for what they want to stream.

I agree 4K discs sound better as well as look better but I can stream much more media then I can buy 4k discs. Streaming is the future once compression algorithms get better you won’t discern the differences. Just like streaming music did physical media.
I'll likely never be able to stream 4k let alone any accompanying lossless audio due my internet service....

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
I agree. My receiver is the hub, with the exception of the cable tv STB which needs its own HDMI input so I can disable Deep Color on that input due to an incompatibility with my legacy STB which is 1080 only. The cable connection is used only for local HDTV network broadcasts. All other devices go thru the receiver.
Yeah see right now my tv is the hub for everything, then I connect the tv to my receiver via optical. I’m assuming overall I could get better audio if I had a new receiver and ran that as the hub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Receivers are better hubs than tvs....and with the avr you could get higher resolution audio codecs.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
Receivers are better hubs than tvs....and with the avr you could get higher resolution audio codecs.
So then the 3500 is prob worth getting this year. Have you seen it go on sale for lower than $599?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So then the 3500 is prob worth getting this year. Have you seen it go on sale for lower than $599?

Not particularly but am not looking either :) Maybe you can look it up on your iphone. :)

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Yeah see right now my tv is the hub for everything, then I connect the tv to my receiver via optical. I’m assuming overall I could get better audio if I had a new receiver and ran that as the hub?

Absolutely. HD Audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, lossless Atmos, etc) and other formats would be no problem for a new receiver. TV's can't pass HD Audio unless you're attempting to use eARC, which is still fraught with problems.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
Hi all - I went with the 3500h, but have a big question. I ran the Audyssey and couldn’t hear my SVS sub so I called SVS. They had my change some settings on the AVR, then crank my gain. I thought xt32’s primarily benefit was for bass. Am I misunderstanding something or could I have gone with the 2500h and saved the $200?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The XT32/SubEQ feature for two independsnt subs is the general advantage over XT. Otherwise not sure what the issue you have particularly but many do prefer a boost over the results of Audyssey...many bump sub level post-calibration a few dB....what were the specifics of the SVS response and your setup before?

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Some folks aren't big fans of the autocal feature (Audyssey, YPAO, etc) and just "calibrate" by what sounds best to them or just use an SPL meter. I've done both and prefer to do it manually.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi all - I went with the 3500h, but have a big question. I ran the Audyssey and couldn’t hear my SVS sub so I called SVS. They had my change some settings on the AVR, then crank my gain. I thought xt32’s primarily benefit was for bass. Am I misunderstanding something or could I have gone with the 2500h and saved the $200?

Well, it is definitely better at bass than ypao or mcacc. Buts it’s not for more bass, it’s for better, smoother bass.
Can’t remember, what’s the sub? And is it better now after talking to SVS v

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
Thanks all! I have the SVS PB2000. They had me switch speaker size to small, then on the sub basically turned the gain from 1/4 to slightly over half. It sounds great now.

Back to my question though, the accountant in me is coming out and wondering if perhaps I didn’t need the XT32 and could have saved the $200. I read somewhere that the XT32 has its largest impact on bass so that’s why I’m questioning it. Any thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all! I have the SVS PB2000. They had me switch speaker size to small, then on the sub basically turned the gain from 1/4 to slightly over half. It sounds great now.

Back to my question though, the accountant in me is coming out and wondering if perhaps I didn’t need the XT32 and could have saved the $200. I read somewhere that the XT32 has its largest impact on bass so that’s why I’m questioning it. Any thoughts?

I think XT32 is worth having (I have two XT and one XT32 avr). The ability to handle two subs better is a prime consideration, the extra filters in XT32 over XT another. You can't use bass management without setting speakers to "small" (cuz that's what it means). Gain controls on subs varies, so the guideline that comes with an Audyssey avr for setting that is a guess....most of my commercial subs I only need about 1/4-1/3 setting on gain, 1/2 is too much (but no SVS subs).

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
It's my understanding that if you want to use "bass management" then you need to switch your speakers to Small, which can make a dramatic improvement. That's one of the reasons why I gave up on the autocals because it kept placing my speakers at Large. I sort of used some of the settings from my autocal and then manually set the others (x-overs, bass, etc). Probably not the correct way to do it but the audio fidelity is quite nice for what I have.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
It's my understanding that if you want to use "bass management" then you need to switch your speakers to Small, which can make a dramatic improvement. That's one of the reasons why I gave up on the autocals because it kept placing my speakers at Large. I sort of used some of the settings from my autocal and then manually set the others (x-overs, bass, etc). Probably not the correct way to do it but the audio fidelity is quite nice for what I have.
Yeah it definitely set mine to large. I wish it was an easier choice. Definitely like the receiver but am thinking the 2500 would suffice. I don’t want to exchange it then realize I’m missing out though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Wow, over half seems kinda high. I wonder where they puts it relatively speaking(like 5db hot or 7db hot etc).
I’ve used both xt and xt32 also. Ime xt32 is definitely better. Imo, it’s worth the 200 bucks but I also understand budgeting. Time will show you the value of xt32 hopefully. Its not a super obvious thing, which is kinda the point.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
Wow, over half seems kinda high. I wonder where they puts it relatively speaking(like 5db hot or 7db hot etc).
I’ve used both xt and xt32 also. Ime xt32 is definitely better. Imo, it’s worth the 200 bucks but I also understand budgeting. Time will show you the value of xt32 hopefully. Its not a super obvious thing, which is kinda the point.
On my receiver the sub level is at -6.5db and on the sub gain is at around 1 o’clock. The guy at SVS told me if that’s not enough bass I should turn the receiver to -3db, then can go up to 3 o’clock on the sub. Overall it sounds great as is, considering I live in an apartment.

I definitely did everything on a budget plan, although Chane and SVS are pretty well regarded.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The small/large nomenclature isn't the best. It simply means use/not use bass management but wants you to feel comfortable about your "size" :) Audyssey never themselves agreed with the use of a sub to use the "large" setting for example (but the avr manufacturers tweaked the setup/Audyssey setup to accommodate the avr manufacturer suggestions rather than the avr manufacturer). Usually an f3 of 40hz on a given speaker channel will trigger the use of the "large" setting....who wants to tell you your package is "small" after all? :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On my receiver the sub level is at -6.5db and on the sub gain is at around 1 o’clock. The guy at SVS told me if that’s not enough bass I should turn the receiver to -3db, then can go up to 3 o’clock on the sub. Overall it sounds great as is, considering I live in an apartment.

I definitely did everything on a budget plan, although Chane and SVS are pretty well regarded.

Well, a budget doesn’t always mean cheap. A budget(generally speaking) can actually allow you to spend money!!! But yeah, change and SVS are well regarded and for good reason. FWIW, I have a couple of PC12PLUSES so I definitely get it. I’m so glad I don’t live in an apt, whew.
My point “relatively” speaking was, if all the other channels are set to 75db as per usual, what is the sub at now with the boost.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The small/large nomenclature isn't the best. It simply means use/not use bass management but wants you to feel comfortable about your "size" :) Audyssey never themselves agreed with the use of a sub to use the "large" setting for example (but the avr manufacturers tweaked the setup/Audyssey setup to accommodate the avr manufacturer suggestions rather than the avr manufacturer). Usually an f3 of 40hz on a given speaker channel will trigger the use of the "large" setting....who wants to tell you your package is "small" after all? :)
Lmao...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis