Advice for Microphone

B

Brownhunter

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

I hate to bother you all but I require some professional advice with selecting an certain type of microphone and sadly I haven't had much luck in the area of research. So any advice would greatly appreciated.

I am currently seeking - A microphone capable of picking up the smallest sound pressure possible and the lowest frequencies (Infrasound) as well, from 15 meters.

Does anyone know what could achieve this? Or close to it?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You’re being a bit vague but I recommend you google measurement microphone, that may point in the direction of what you’re looking for. Check out Earthworks...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi Everyone,

I hate to bother you all but I require some professional advice with selecting an certain type of microphone and sadly I haven't had much luck in the area of research. So any advice would greatly appreciated.

I am currently seeking - A microphone capable of picking up the smallest sound pressure possible and the lowest frequencies (Infrasound) as well, from 15 meters.

You need a very sensitive laboratory-grade mic for that. It will not be cheap. Bruel & Kjaer should have something that will work for you. I would call them up and ask for a recommendation. Prepare to spend thousands.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Everyone,

It would be helpful to know what you are doing and why. Also what environment will the mic be used in? This sounds like a very difficult environment.

You also have to remember if you want to pick up those sort of sounds, it has to be in an environment that is otherwise totally silent and in still air, with zero air movement otherwise. This is not an amateurs project. If you have to ask these questions, then you are probably not the guy for the job.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis