Advice and or Tips on New HT System

E

EzRidA

Audiophyte
Hi all, I’m new to a real home theatre setup and new to the forum. My current setup and experience is with my very old Aiwa “mini-theatre system” and a 27” Zenith TV. I’ve been doing a lot of reading from posts, reviews, and recommendations. I now come to you, the much more experienced to ask for your advice, comments, and recommendations.

Firstly I’ll be moving into a condo within a few months so that is what this setup will be for. The space is relatively small being just a 1bedroom/1bathroom. The living room is 11’2” x 16’ 10” and attached is an image of the layout.

The TV is the least of my concerns at the moment as it will be the last item I purchase. My original plan for the audio receiver was going to be a Pioneer VSX-815K matched up with the Athena Micra 6 system.

After doing some more reading and research it seemed that perhaps I was better off just spending the little extra money and getting the Pioneer VSX-1015TXK and match that up with the Athena Point5 MKII system. I really don’t know which sub to go for, but I don’t want to push my budget either. I was originally planning on spending around $600 for just the audio side. With what I believe would be the better setup the total comes in around $600 still, but that’s without a sub now. I would ideally like to spend less than $200 for a sub, which would fit well into the room size as well as the system setup.

Please let me know if I am going down a bad path here with my chosen setup or make any recommendations. Also please keep in mind that I honestly can’t spend more than $800 for everything on the audio side of things. I appreciate any help and advice that you can lend to me.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I was clear. :)
-Dan

Attachments

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'm pretty tired, so I'm not going to post much. As far as the subwoofer goes, I would highly recommend that you try for a Hsu STF-1. It's very compact, and has usable output to 25Hz when corner loaded. Great little sub. The only issue I can think of would be the $316 price.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Hmm, well lets see. Condo, South Florida, VSX-1015tx, etc..
Uhmm, seriously, I live close...
So you could check out my system, granted your not a psycho...
PM, Me...
Sunrise/Fort Lauderdale. Fl.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Check your PM...
In your Pm, I gave a lot of advice on the 1015....
Edit:: Well not a lot of advice, but I tried to answer your question. I will post my answer here.

My typing is terrible, you could call at 954-***-****. The 1015tx, is great for beginners to experts. It has the MCACC, which is a mic, that will calibrate the system for you. Plenty of room to grow, way more connections then I would ever use. Plenty of useable options, specially individual EQ for each speaker, yes all 7.1 speakers. So tailoring sound is easy to do with almost any speaker choice you go with...
EDIT:: Btw, I use MCACC just for a starting point. Its quite accurate. But I like to tweak, so after a setup, I will spend at least a half hour tweaking the sound to my liking. You do not have to do this. Plus I have more setups then most people need, to many speaker options... And I have the upgrade bug.. Which a lot of people here have.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis