Advice adding a 2nd sub

B

Blown

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,

I currently have 7.1.4 setup in a 16x14x12 room consisting of Klipsch RP8000F fronts, RP504C center, 4x RP502's surrounds, 4x klipsch in ceiling speakers and a SVS PB2000 pro sub. I have felt the single PB2000 is not quite giving me enough to satisfy my needs so I was just about to pull the trigger and order a 2nd PB 2000 pro but my local shop has the Klipsch SPL 150 subs for $200 extra for a pair. This has me thinking would I get more bang for my buck getting the pair of klipsch subs and running 3x subs putting the PB 2000 at the rear and the 2 SPL's up front or should I just stick with the 2 pb 2000 pro's.

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Two Klipsch SPL 150 subs will have much more output than a single PB-2000, I would go for it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s definitely a cheap upgrade path. But I would definitely recommend REW(free) and a umik-1($100). This way you’ll be able to see what’s happening in the room and can move the subs to where they’ll perform best. Otherwise using subs with totally different phase characteristics can make a mess and do more harm than good, and it’s a crap shoot. If you don’t have freedom of placement, a minidspHD can help make adjustments, but the learning curve is a little steep, and can only do so much. Placement is the key.

B

Blown

Audiophyte
I am not particularly limited by placement but the front if definately easier than the sides and rear. I was just thinking that 3 subs would provide a better result than the 2 I was planning for. I was planning on using REW but still need to learn how.

B

Blown

Audiophyte
I guess my only real reservation on the idea is the fact nobody seems to have anything positive to say about klipsch subwoofers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis