Advent Heritage- couple of crossover questions

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought a pair of Advent Heritage towers without woofers. I'm going to re-cap the crossovers and put in new woofers, and replace the extremely thin leads with heavier gauge wire. This'll be a bits-and-pieces project that I'll buy for as I have a little spare money freed up. I've researched and mapped out the crossover (attached) and a couple questions need answering before I buy anything though.

1) it's a 2.5- way speaker. One woofer is low-passed through a 1.2mH inductor, and the other through a 2.3mH. What do these values translate to in cutoff frequency? I assume that the higher cutoff woofer will need to be the upper one, but I'm not sure which that is. Also, the OG woofers were 6-ohm, but the replacements will be 8-ohms. Will that shift the crossover points? And if so, should I go with new inductors of a different value?

2) 6uF capacitors don't seem that common anymore. On Parts Express there seem to be plenty of 5.6uF and 6.2uF. Which should I replace C1 on the tweeter with? It doesn't seem to calculate into much overall difference with either, but I'd like to be certain. The tweeters are also 6-ohms.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to AH. Is this your first try at building or re-building a speaker? If so, I want to encourage you. Keep that in mind as I poke some holes in your ideas :).
I bought a pair of Advent Heritage towers without woofers. I'm going to re-cap the crossovers and put in new woofers, and replace the extremely thin leads with heavier gauge wire. This'll be a bits-and-pieces project that I'll buy for as I have a little spare money freed up. I've researched and mapped out the crossover (attached) and a couple questions need answering before I buy anything though.
How did you choose those replacement woofers? Simply Speakers claims they work, but I don't see any further info indicating that they actually would be suitable replacements for the Advent 8" woofers. For any new woofers to work, they have to match the electrical and mechanical properties (known as Thiele/Small, or T/S, parameters) of the old woofers. That's not impossible to find for replacement woofers, but it is extremely rare. It is essential to know the T/S parameters in order to match the low frequency response of the woofers to the volume of the cabinet, and to match the the high frequency response of the woofers to the crossover network. If they are off, your old cabinet, crossover network, and tweeter are useless.

The T/S parameters of the new woofers are shown by Simply Speakers (below). The question is, what were the T/S parameters for the original Advent, and how well do the new woofers match? Because Simply Speakers say it works great for all those speakers, I have to wonder.
  • Le: .28 mH, Fs: 39 Hz, Vas: 1.39 cu. ft., Qms: 4.07, Qes: 1.23, Qts: .94, Xmax: 4.5mm
  • Great replacement woofer for many speakers, including Advent, AR, EPI, Fisher, Genesis, Infinity and many more!
1) it's a 2.5- way speaker. One woofer is low-passed through a 1.2mH inductor, and the other through a 2.3mH. What do these values translate to in cutoff frequency? I assume that the higher cutoff woofer will need to be the upper one, but I'm not sure which that is. Also, the OG woofers were 6-ohm, but the replacements will be 8-ohms. Will that shift the crossover points? And if so, should I go with new inductors of a different value?
The crossover schematic you attached shows two drivers (S2 & S3) with single inductors, 1.2 mH for S2, and 0.5 mH for S3. It does not show a 2.3 mH inductor. I'm confused.
2) 6uF capacitors don't seem that common anymore. On Parts Express there seem to be plenty of 5.6uF and 6.2uF. Which should I replace C1 on the tweeter with? It doesn't seem to calculate into much overall difference with either, but I'd like to be certain. The tweeters are also 6-ohms.
This is the least of your problems. A good rule-of-thumb for most crossovers (especially older designs as this one appears to be) is that parts have a tolerance of ±10%. If the design calls for 6 µF, any capacitor in the range of 5.4 to 6.6 µF will work. If you can find a 6.2 µF cap at a reasonable price, get it.

My final comment is a more general one. Let's assume you find successful replacements for those woofers, and build the crossover board. The design is intended to cross between the 8" woofers and the 1" dome tweeter at 3500 Hz. I'd bet that there is a large drop in response between the woofers and tweeter. Despite Advent's popularity decades ago, that problem was common in all of their models with 8" woofers.

I don't know of any 8" woofer, old or new, that can go as high as 3500 Hz without a significant drop in response (leads to a hole in the mid range sound),making unwanted break up noise (leads to audible noise at higher volumes),or at best, a significant loss in off-axis response (leads to poor imaging and sound stage in stereo). That's why you don't find many modern 2-way speakers that combine 8" woofers with a small dome tweeter.

In short, I think these speakers might not be worth the effort to re-build them. They'll be bass heavy and have a large suck out in the all important mid range.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

It was supposed to be 2.3mH. I must have put in the wrong value the value last night when I was diagramming it and not noticed.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It was supposed to be 2.3mH. I must have put in the wrong value the value last night when I was diagramming it and not noticed.
Good.
Now I can answer that question. Audio signals are AC electric signals, not DC. The impedance of any speaker is not constant, it varies with the frequency. So you cannot plug a single impedance value, such as 8 ohms, into a formula and calculate the roll-off frequency of an inductor. You have to know the speaker's impedance around the range of the intended crossover frequency.

Here's an example for a typical 8" woofer, a Peerless SLS 830667 woofer. See the blue trace for the impedance (the impedance scale is on the right side of the graph). It has a minimum impedance of 6.2 ohms. There is a peak at the woofer's resonance frequency, followed by a zone, roughly 100-1000 Hz, where the impedance is fairly constant at under 8 ohms. Above 1000 Hz, the impedance rises in a non-linear curve. To properly calculate a cut off frequency for an inductor or capacitor, you must know the impedance at the frequency intended.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

There are OEM woofers available here and there, but it was just something I thought about tinkering with. I didn't pay much, and could sell the tweeters and stock crossovers on ebay and get back my money if I don't do anything with them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There are OEM woofers available here and there, but it was just something I thought about tinkering with. I didn't pay much, and could sell the tweeters and stock crossovers on ebay and get back my money if I don't do anything with them.
The problem with rebuilding old speakers, unless it is a legacy model you once owned (or dreamed about owning) that is NLA, is the fact of how many great used, working speakers that are available, otherwise. I found a pair of JBL S312 on crgslist listed for $300. I had no idea of the performance other than reading old reviews. When I got to the owner's house, I hesitated for half a second and he basically threw them at me for $75 just to get them out of his home. They ended up being perfect, inside and out, and a fantastic pair of speakers.

Just one search thru crgslist gives an idea just how many older working and often audition-able speakers are stashed in people's homes local to you, especially if you live in the burbs of, or a larger city.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis