Advent AS2 vs. Infinity RS5

S

Seattle49er

Audiophyte
Hello all
I’m having trouble deciding between these two pair of speakers! I’ve read up on both and still can’t make up my mind! Id like to hear which pair you’d pick and a few words on why?
Thanks in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why these two particularly in the first place? Which do you prefer the sound of?

S

Seattle49er

Audiophyte
i have heard the advents but the infinity’s I have not then and I’m going for a certain look building my setup not to mention great price for either set

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i have heard the advents but the infinity’s I have not then and I’m going for a certain look building my setup not to mention great price for either set
I don't know either speaker. Advent went broke in 1981 and made good speakers for their day. They are now a junk line of Audiovox corporation. You can not make speakers for the price of those you cite. They have to be absolute rock bottom junk.

Infinity has been a brand of Harmon, now owned by Samsung. The RS5 has had a number of iterations over the years. I can not find that they are available and suspect that they may have been discontinued.

I would strongly advise against the purchase of either of those choices. Vintage RS5s are another matter. Infinity in days past was a top brand, sadly no more.

By the way, you don't select speakers on a certain look!

S

Seattle49er

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input and I sure your right the hunt continues!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
These are supposed to be pretty good if you want Infinity towers. At this price I was thinking about giving them a try. That were actually recommend by a pretty expensive ID company owner to be.
You could also look at JBL if you want a great prices on good speakers. The Studio line and Stage line are sides to be very good.
Here is that infinity link.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input and I sure your right the hunt continues!

Not sure if you are still looking for the Advent AS2 speakers, But I just got a pair from goodwill about a month or so ago, and they are VERY good sounding.

Not the junk that I have heard some say they are, but quite neutral, great bass and clarity. I would say possibly one of the better sounding speakers I have heard in my 40 years of being into audio!

Quite comparable to much higher priced speakers for sure. Built fairly well, bracing inside, biwire terminals, and so on. Extremely impressed as I read newer Advent stuff was junk.

I would say they continue the sound that the founder of Advent envisioned for sure.

I have owned Advent Legacy and Prodigy and the AS2 sounds VERY similar to the Prodigy, perhaps somewhat better in some ways.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure if you are still looking for the Advent AS2 speakers, But I just got a pair from goodwill about a month or so ago, and they are VERY good sounding.

Not the junk that I have heard some say they are, but quite neutral, great bass and clarity. I would say possibly one of the better sounding speakers I have heard in my 40 years of being into audio!

Quite comparable to much higher priced speakers for sure. Built fairly well, bracing inside, biwire terminals, and so on. Extremely impressed as I read newer Advent stuff was junk.

I would say they continue the sound that the founder of Advent envisioned for sure.

I have owned Advent Legacy and Prodigy and the AS2 sounds VERY similar to the Prodigy, perhaps somewhat better in some ways.
You consider bi-wire terminals a good sign?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
uhm not sure what you mean, but was simply describing them.

Better than a wire just sticking through the back I guess...lol
LOL just teasing you a bit. Generally they're like tits on a bull....a normal pair of speaker terminals is all Advent used back with the original design (which I had). Mostly marketing forces have influenced speaker companies to add the "bi-wire/bi-amp" terminals....bi-wiring is simply silly and without removing the passive network in the speaker, proper bi-amping isn't possible.....

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
LOL just teasing you a bit. Generally they're like tits on a bull....a normal pair of speaker terminals is all Advent used back with the original design (which I had). Mostly marketing forces have influenced speaker companies to add the "bi-wire/bi-amp" terminals....bi-wiring is simply silly and without removing the passive network in the speaker, proper bi-amping isn't possible.....
Yeah I got it...lol

IN all seriousness, just VERY surprised at how good they sounded. Its hard to compare to another speaker as to HOW they sound, but after reading Advent was all junk, I expected crap, not a very nice sounding speaker.

I actually got rid of my Polk Lsi15 speakers after finding the advents. Not saying they were immensely better, but I preferred the sound more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I got it...lol

IN all seriousness, just VERY surprised at how good they sounded. Its hard to compare to another speaker as to HOW they sound, but after reading Advent was all junk, I expected crap, not a very nice sounding speaker.

I actually got rid of my Polk Lsi15 speakers after finding the advents. Not saying they were immensely better, but I preferred the sound more.
Advent just wasn't the same company after the bankruptcy and into the hands of Jensen and Audiovox....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, Advent was the shiznits in their heyday but that time has long passed. I own a pair of Infinity IL30s I picked up super cheap on Craigslist and was very pleasantly suprised how good they sound. I really like them. I see the IL line pop up on the used market fairly often and they're legit good.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Advent just wasn't the same company after the bankruptcy and into the hands of Jensen and Audiovox....

The time for the AS2, they were owned by Recoton. Early 2000s for a few years.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis