B

BGMX2000

Audiophyte
I currently have a 5.1 home theater system but have noticed that the movie theater has 12.1 is there a chance to upgrade with the components i have? or do i need a new receiver?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BGMX2000 said:
I currently have a 5.1 home theater system but have noticed that the movie theater has 12.1 is there a chance to upgrade with the components i have? or do i need a new receiver?
you have a little time to save up. even the very best DVD's you can buy right now only have 6.1 channels' worth of signal on them. you'll be best served hanging on to what you have now and giving the industry another year or year and a half to see if more advanced formats hit the streets. :)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
How do you figure the theatre has 12.1 channels ?

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
From the last time I have checked Sony SDDS is 9.2 discrete, there also ways of matrix decoding other channels from this to equate to 12.2

For Instance working front most to back and left to right

Left
Left Center
Right Center
Right
Left Matrix
Right Matrix
Left Rear
Right Rear
Left Matrix 2
Right Matrix 2
Left Surround Back
Right Surround Back
Then there would be two LFE Channels behind the screen

~Bob

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I beg to differ. Im not sure where you received your info but its not accurate. SDDS is only capable of 7.1 channels. There is no such thing as matrixed channels in SDDS. :confused:

Left
Left Center
Center
Right Center
Surround Left
Surround Right
Subwoofer

The other thing to note is SDDS is going to be a dead format in a few years. Sony no longer supports this equipment and the only reason the format is still on film are the contracts that where signed by some major theatre circuits.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis