Adding Bookshelf Speakers - Opinions Needed

• Thread starter CaptainWhoopAss
  • Start date
C

CaptainWhoopAss

Audiophyte
I currently have a Cambridge Audio AXR100 and Focal Chorus 726 floor-standing speakers, however I think I would like to improve the sound I get from my TV. I currently have a Polk soundbar that I picked up for a deal a long time ago but I don’t really enjoy the sound from it.

The obvious solution would be to put the Focals beside the TV but I don’t have the space – which also means I wouldn’t have the room for speaker stands. I am wondering if I should just get some bookshelf speakers to put beside the TV that I could also use for music. Putting speakers on the TV stand means I would need to find something that is unfussy with placement and less than ~20cm (8”) wide (Wharfedale Evo4 and SVS Ultras would be too large). As far as height goes, my TV stand sits slightly high, so any speakers I place there would be level with my ears.

I would like the option of being able to run the new speakers in both a single and A/B configuration with the Focals. If I understand this correctly, I would need to ensure the impedance of both sets of speakers is a match. The Focals are 8ohms, so nixes all 6 and 4 ohm speakers such as Elacs, Revels, Dalis, and Martin Logans.

Due to the pandemic, I am not able to audition speakers, so I am looking for some help with this.

I am trying to spend less than $1000 CAD (but could consider stretching it for the right set up). I am looking at Paradigms (Atom or Premier), B&W (606 or 607), Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, PSB Alpha P5, or maybe Kef Q150’s (which are about $350 where I live, and that would leave some room in the budget to add in a sub).

I’ve considered the Focal 806’s, but my understanding is that they would ideally need to be on stands or given a bit more space than I have available. The Focal Dome speakers also look interesting, but not sure they are compatible with anything other than 5.1 set up. Also, I am concerned they wouldn’t have enough heft without a sub.

While these speakers would primarily be used for TV and movies but I would also like to be able to use them for music (CD’s, streaming, and records).

My room is a box – 3.5 meters in width, length and ceiling height, and I would like something that fills the space nicely and doesn’t completely disappoint compared to the Focals. Am I expecting too much out of bookshelves? Does anyone have any recommendations or able to offer some advice on the speaker options mentioned above? Is there another option I might want to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
You can read my below Signature for what I have. Your room is a tad smaller. When I play music, I set the audio to "Stereo," in my AVR. For movies, it is DD+Dts Neutral. With speaker auto calibration, my system is music to the ears with distinct clarity and smoothness with nice range. Don't skimp on the center channel as 70% is vocal and dialog and the MOST important in your system. Good Luck.
Preference Ratings & Graphs (google.com) + comments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I currently have a Cambridge Audio AXR100 and Focal Chorus 726 floor-standing speakers, however I think I would like to improve the sound I get from my TV. I currently have a Polk soundbar that I picked up for a deal a long time ago but I don’t really enjoy the sound from it.

The obvious solution would be to put the Focals beside the TV but I don’t have the space – which also means I wouldn’t have the room for speaker stands. I am wondering if I should just get some bookshelf speakers to put beside the TV that I could also use for music. Putting speakers on the TV stand means I would need to find something that is unfussy with placement and less than ~20cm (8”) wide (Wharfedale Evo4 and SVS Ultras would be too large). As far as height goes, my TV stand sits slightly high, so any speakers I place there would be level with my ears.

I would like the option of being able to run the new speakers in both a single and A/B configuration with the Focals. If I understand this correctly, I would need to ensure the impedance of both sets of speakers is a match. The Focals are 8ohms, so nixes all 6 and 4 ohm speakers such as Elacs, Revels, Dalis, and Martin Logans.

Due to the pandemic, I am not able to audition speakers, so I am looking for some help with this.

I am trying to spend less than $1000 CAD (but could consider stretching it for the right set up). I am looking at Paradigms (Atom or Premier), B&W (606 or 607), Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, PSB Alpha P5, or maybe Kef Q150’s (which are about $350 where I live, and that would leave some room in the budget to add in a sub).

I’ve considered the Focal 806’s, but my understanding is that they would ideally need to be on stands or given a bit more space than I have available. The Focal Dome speakers also look interesting, but not sure they are compatible with anything other than 5.1 set up. Also, I am concerned they wouldn’t have enough heft without a sub.

While these speakers would primarily be used for TV and movies but I would also like to be able to use them for music (CD’s, streaming, and records).

My room is a box – 3.5 meters in width, length and ceiling height, and I would like something that fills the space nicely and doesn’t completely disappoint compared to the Focals. Am I expecting too much out of bookshelves? Does anyone have any recommendations or able to offer some advice on the speaker options mentioned above? Is there another option I might want to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Why do you want to run both sets of speakers at once? You shouldn't be running any speaker simultaneously with the Focals. They have a 2.9 ohm impedance minima. I think any of your choices are probably OK. A good affordable bookshelf speaker that is slim and has very good bass extension is the Monoprice Monolith K-BAS speakers. They sound very good and legitimately dig down to 40 Hz. I don't know about their availability in Canada though?

C

CaptainWhoopAss

Audiophyte
Why do you want to run both sets of speakers at once? You shouldn't be running any speaker simultaneously with the Focals. They have a 2.9 ohm impedance minima. I think any of your choices are probably OK. A good affordable bookshelf speaker that is slim and has very good bass extension is the Monoprice Monolith K-BAS speakers. They sound very good and legitimately dig down to 40 Hz. I don't know about their availability in Canada though?
I honestly had no idea! I'm glad I asked here - I am pretty new to hi-fi equipment and I assumed that since my receiver had an A/B option, I would be able to run a pair of speakers in an adjacent room at the same time. Thanks for the explanation....I have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole reading about impedance now and honestly my head is swimming.

Also thanks for the recommend on the K-BAS; they look interesting and their dimensions are pretty spot-on for my space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis