Adding Balanced connections

X

xyrium

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I have an Audiolab 8000Q that had an option for balanced audio (cutouts for XLRs are on the back panel) but the electronics weren't installed. Has anyone built or modified a preamp or amp by adding the necessary electronics for a balanced connection?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
xyrium said:
WNAUDIO must be a comedy site:

A balanced interconnect ( modules plus cable ) sounds better than any single ended interconnect ( which the vast majority are ) on the market - regardless of price!
The advantage a balanced connection offers is noise rejection of external interference. If you did not have an iissue with picking up noise in the first place, then it will not be of benefit.

-Chris

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
It's not as simple as you may think. A true balanced differential circuit is double what a single ended circuit is. Also unless you're running cables over 25 feet long I wouldn't worry about it. XLR cables can help with noise and I use them because if I put my ear upto the speaker there is less noise but I would have never known otherwise and would not worry about it.

X

xyrium

Audiophyte
Thanks WarnerWH. I am one of those anal idiots who puts his ear directly next to the speakers to listen for any impurities in the signal. In my PC, I have an EMU 1212M to a pair of lower end MAudio BX5s, and I am very happy with the strength (balanced buys you a bit of additional amplitude) of the signal, as well as the almost analytically clean (still good music) sound I get from it.

This said, I am going to be picking up a sub that has a balanced connection on it's amplifier, that will need a pair of 12-15 ft interconnects to get to it from my preamp. Thus, I'd really like to see if anyone has used these devices.

A true balanced circuit even has transformers at each end, but I'll take the minimalistic approach with opamps! Of course, using an XLR does not mean you have a balanced circuit.

Thanks for your input!

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
xyrium said:
Thanks WarnerWH. I am one of those anal idiots who puts his ear directly next to the speakers to listen for any impurities in the signal. In my PC, I have an EMU 1212M to a pair of lower end MAudio BX5s, and I am very happy with the strength (balanced buys you a bit of additional amplitude) of the signal, as well as the almost analytically clean (still good music) sound I get from it.

This said, I am going to be picking up a sub that has a balanced connection on it's amplifier, that will need a pair of 12-15 ft interconnects to get to it from my preamp. Thus, I'd really like to see if anyone has used these devices.

A true balanced circuit even has transformers at each end, but I'll take the minimalistic approach with opamps! Of course, using an XLR does not mean you have a balanced circuit.

Thanks for your input!
I see your point. I'd use the balanced connection too. That's a wise move to put in balanced on a sub as some of the runs can get pretty long. Opamps balanced configuration is what's on my Parasound and although not true balanced at the amp there is less noise at the speaker and this is with 3 foot interconnects. Being anal is good. Everything is important and even if not audible at the listening position is another step in the right direction imo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis