Adding another Velodyne Sub

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
Hello guys, I am currently having Velodyne impact 12 sub for my setup. Iam in a dilemma of either adding another velo impact 12 or buy a better single sub.

Kindly advice.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How many cubic feet? (Include any rooms or space open to the listening room)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Percentage of movies vs music?

Budget?

Size of sub dimensions?

Reason for upgrade?

Existing equipment and speakers?

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
80% movies. Very less budget.

Size is not a matter.
to get balanced effects on all seats.

Marantz SR7011 AVR, Mission MX5

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d buy a better single and save for a second. The velo is -3 at 29hz, and not very powerful. Not sure what exactly your budget is but there are definitely better ones out there for not a lot of money.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A single huge sub, IMO, is a waste in a room that small. I'd recommend a second Velodyne, as two sources will get you far more consistent bass across the seating positions. The Impact 12 is not a monster sub by any stretch of the term, but two in a 15x11 room will be pretty impressive, properly placed.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
80% movies. Very less budget.

Size is not a matter.
to get balanced effects on all seats.
your issue is last point. to get clean and powerful bass on more than one good spot you need multiple subs.
To Irv, point - yes - you have small room and probably getting good amount of sound reinforcement from wall reflections, but to Will's point -3db at 29hz is not great. For HT we generally prefer a sub to be -3db at low 20th or high teens.
So your best upgrade path is to replace a single Velo you have now with two good smaller subs, like SVS PB1000, Monoprice 10" THX Ultra or a bit more $ HSU VTF-2 MK5 dual [contact hsu directly - they are likely to offer some discount buying two]

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
your issue is last point. to get clean and powerful bass on more than one good spot you need multiple subs.
To Irv, point - yes - you have small room and probably getting good amount of sound reinforcement from wall reflections, but to Will's point -3db at 29hz is not great. For HT we generally prefer a sub to be -3db at low 20th or high teens.
So your best upgrade path is to replace a single Velo you have now with two good smaller subs, like SVS PB1000, Monoprice 10" THX Ultra or a bit more $ HSU VTF-2 MK5 dual [contact hsu directly - they are likely to offer some discount buying two]
This is exactly where I was going. That’s a small space so I don’t think the sub(s) need to be humongous, but as you pointed out, should extend deeper. So in my mind, one or two speedwoofers, or the other ones you linked would be worthy considerations.

BryceH

BryceH

Enthusiast
What budget are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

C

Cain Galata

Enthusiast
Hello guys, I am currently having Velodyne impact 12 sub for my setup. Iam in a dilemma of either adding another velo impact 12 or buy a better single sub.

Kindly advice.

I actually have the Velodyne Impact 10 and the VX-11. The VX-11 is a older model but similar to the Velodyne Impact 10. I originally had the VX-11 that I bought for $140 in Amazon years back. I asked myself, do I get 2 new 12 inch subs, like the SVS PB2000, or just get another Velodyne? My room is twice as big as yours. I decided to get the Impact 10 on ebay for $100. Basically $240 for 2 subs that are 10 inches each. Let me tell you, using these 2 and EQing it, was a game changer. I know it only goes to around 30-35hz but it is more than enough for a room my size. Most movies and music don't go lower than 30hz anyways.

I already have dual Outlaw X12 subwoofers in my living room. I've even moved 1 outlaw to my bedroom to compare to the VX-11, and the only difference I heard was slightly better room shaking ability. When you play at moderate volumes in a smaller space, you really don't need a bigger subwoofer. I know reading reviews and online forums all talk about 15 inchers, 18 inchers but not in a small room with moderate volume. I don't do any bass boost either.

Get 2 Velodyne subwoofers and make sure you EQ it. I think EQing subwoofers is one of the most important things to do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I actually have the Velodyne Impact 10 and the VX-11. The VX-11 is a older model but similar to the Velodyne Impact 10. I originally had the VX-11 that I bought for $140 in Amazon years back. I asked myself, do I get 2 new 12 inch subs, like the SVS PB2000, or just get another Velodyne? My room is twice as big as yours. I decided to get the Impact 10 on ebay for $100. Basically $240 for 2 subs that are 10 inches each. Let me tell you, using these 2 and EQing it, was a game changer. I know it only goes to around 30-35hz but it is more than enough for a room my size. Most movies and music don't go lower than 30hz anyways.

I already have dual Outlaw X12 subwoofers in my living room. I've even moved 1 outlaw to my bedroom to compare to the VX-11, and the only difference I heard was slightly better room shaking ability. When you play at moderate volumes in a smaller space, you really don't need a bigger subwoofer. I know reading reviews and online forums all talk about 15 inchers, 18 inchers but not in a small room with moderate volume. I don't do any bass boost either.

Get 2 Velodyne subwoofers and make sure you EQ it. I think EQing subwoofers is one of the most important things to do.
While I do agree with some things in this post, I have to say that there’s actually a lot of sub 30hz in movies. Obviously that will depend on the title, but there’s plenty. I’ve even seen Westworld goes down well below 20. Didn’t expect that...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts.html

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Agree with William. You need to get to 20hz or lower to get all the movie effects. Good luck! :)

C

Cain Galata

Enthusiast
Agree with William. You need to get to 20hz or lower to get all the movie effects. Good luck! :)
Yeah but for you will be spending a lot of money vs less than $300 for used velodynes!

Also, if you only stream movies then you dont really need 20hz. Only blurays have that awesome sound! Netflix or apple really compress the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah but for you will be spending a lot of money vs less than $300 for used velodynes!

Also, if you only stream movies then you dont really need 20hz. Only blurays have that awesome sound! Netflix or apple really compress the sound.

Well Blu-ray and UHD are what a lot of people like to use. Quality bass is an investment but a worthwhile one for an audioholic! :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

That hasn't been my experience. Also, since streaming is digital, lossy compression on audio doesn't reduce bass. Lossy bass with digital has little benefit in bandwidth savings, so no algorithm I'm aware of does it.

It is possible that when you're streaming you're not getting 5.1 support, only stereo, and that may affect the sound of your system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Agree. Streaming is definitely not as good as BD, but as Irv pointed out, compression won’t effect the frequency range of the track.
Still haven’t seen a clear indication of budget.

Well Blu-ray and UHD are what a lot of people like to use. Quality bass is an investment but a worthwhile one for an audioholic! :)
yep!

That hasn't been my experience. Also, since streaming is digital, lossy compression on audio doesn't reduce bass. Lossy bass with digital has little benefit in bandwidth savings, so no algorithm I'm aware of does it.

It is possible that when you're streaming you're not getting 5.1 support, only stereo, and that may affect the sound of your system.
well said.

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
I dont use netflix or any streaming services. I use only bluray movies with DTS HD. Tru hd and the latest atmos & dts x contents.

K

kaptan

Audioholic Intern
Its a down ported design. Which will be the right place to place dual subwoofers if I am going with another velo 12.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Do a search for “subwoofer crawl”. 2 smallish subs would likely be real good candidates for this method.

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis