Adding an amp to Marantz SR8400. How and Why?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Hi-

This question may seem dumb or rudimentary to some, but I can't wrap my head around it. I recently bought a Marantz SR8400. I'm completely happy with it...it's really great. But, I know that eventually, down the line, I'd like to own separates. What the Marantz allowed me to do was add an amp and then pre-amp/processor later as it has pre-amp outs. I can't afford to plunk it all down at once, so the Marantz seemed to offer me immediate satisfaction, as well as the ability to add/grow in steps.

But here's my question; what amps can I add to this? Meaning, would an integrated work? Can you adjust that amp to have the output handled by the Marantz? Or, do I need to get a straight up power amp? If so, would two channel work? Meaning, could I do a 2 channel that allows me to have beefier 2 channel listening, but then let my Marantz handle all others. Is a multi-channel required. And finally, what would be the minimum for a noticeable difference. I was looking at the Rotel RMB1075 (for multichannel) or the 1070/1080 if 2 channel will work. My Marantz is rated at 115 wpc while these only jump me up to 125-130, or down to 100 in the case of the RMB1075. I know that's not a sizeable increase, but I've read that receivers are usually rated generously and may not acutally be pushing that much...that even a dedicated amp at the same wattage would sound louder and cleaner. Is this true? I just don't want to step back, but also, I want to know what would work best in my situation. As a recap of that situation, I want to add and amp now (cause my budget is tight) then move to a processor later, using my Marantz as the processor/surround channel driver for now. Any help in straigtening me out would be greatly appreicated. Thanks.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Yes, you are on the right track.

You can add a 2 or 5 channel power amp and get cleaner/better sound. The receiver ratings are very misleading as they don't really deliver that output continuously across all channels at low distortion. An outboard amp can do wonders for the overall sound quality.

I wouldn't bother with an integrated amp, you are paying for extra electronics you don't need and introducing more stuff in the signal path.

The best is to get a 2 or multichannel power amp. Buying a multichannel one is best because you'll get the improvement for both 2 channel music AND movies too, as well as high quality DVD-Audio. Once the HD-DVD comes out with high quality audio, the difference that high quality amps will give is even more apparant.

If you are going to go through with this, just remember that the power amp will likely be the one constant in your system. You may replace the processor/preamp many times as the processing technology changes, but you don't need to do the same with a power amp.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
No need to add a preamp or integrated. Let your Marantz do that job. All you really need is an Amp to add better/more power. And whether you actually need to add an Amp is up to you. If you are happy with your sound, why add? Unless you have some high end and/or non efficient speakers I don't know that adding an Amp would really add that much. There are arguments both ways on whether an expensive amp translates into better sound. Now, a better amp with more power may be able to better drive some speakers thus resulting in better sound but that's really only if you have some power hunrgy speakers. Also, a Rotel Amp rated at 130 wpc is probably a pretty realistic rating while 105 WPC on a A/V receiver is probably overstated.

And, like Warpdrive said, a power amp can stay with you a long time while A/V receivers come and go with newer technologies.

Shinerman

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Adding an amp

All of the above posts are right. The ability of an amp to make power boils down to the power supply. A good 100-watt 2ch power amp will make a huge difference in the sound, and put out more current and power than most receivers rated at higher wattage. A lot depends on your speakers. If they are inefficient, then you will hear much more improvement. I recommend going with several 2ch power amps. Remember, you don’t necessarily need to go with new equipment either. A good used high quality amp can be obtained, say, on e-bay. Since your Marantz can vary the pre-outputs of all of the channels, you don’t even need to buy the same brand, or power. More power never hurts. Clean power doesn’t blow speakers, clipping and distortion do.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
MacManNM said:
All of the above posts are right. The ability of an amp to make power boils down to the power supply. A good 100-watt 2ch power amp will make a huge difference in the sound, and put out more current and power than most receivers rated at higher wattage. A lot depends on your speakers. If they are inefficient, then you will hear much more improvement. I recommend going with several 2ch power amps. Remember, you don’t necessarily need to go with new equipment either. A good used high quality amp can be obtained, say, on e-bay. Since your Marantz can vary the pre-outputs of all of the channels, you don’t even need to buy the same brand, or power. More power never hurts. Clean power doesn’t blow speakers, clipping and distortion do.
Yes very true MacMAn i will eventually be doing this buy seprate quality amps but right now i dont have money I could get 3 x 2ch amps and 1ch amp to make 7. rite.What brands do you guys recommend?

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
Power Amp least important

warpdrive said:
Yes, you are on the right track.

You can add a 2 or 5 channel power amp and get cleaner/better sound. The receiver ratings are very misleading as they don't really deliver that output continuously across all channels at low distortion. An outboard amp can do wonders for the overall sound quality.

I wouldn't bother with an integrated amp, you are paying for extra electronics you don't need and introducing more stuff in the signal path.

The best is to get a 2 or multichannel power amp. Buying a multichannel one is best because you'll get the improvement for both 2 channel music AND movies too, as well as high quality DVD-Audio. Once the HD-DVD comes out with high quality audio, the difference that high quality amps will give is even more apparant.

If you are going to go through with this, just remember that the power amp will likely be the one constant in your system. You may replace the processor/preamp many times as the processing technology changes, but you don't need to do the same with a power amp.
It is nice to have the ability to upgrade one piece at a time and that is why the system allows for bypass.

It should be obvious, that unless there are issues of not enough volume, that the Power Amp is the least important piece in a sound system. Since speakers change and Power Amps work with them, to say you one would never need to change amps is silly.

If you are satisfied with your speakers and the sound volume, the logical changes have to do with preamp or digital sources. Both can provide improved sound through your exhisting system.

I must comment that an integrated amplifer is a great way to save money as they eliminate redundancy. Further the interconnects are very important and are expensive but unnecessary with an integrated.

Some say the source is the first thing to upgrade, some say the speakers and some say the preamp, but I must say, unless there are volume problems that last thing you want to upgrade is the sexy power amplifier.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It should be obvious, that unless there are issues of not enough volume, that the Power Amp is the least important piece in a sound system. Since speakers change and Power Amps work with them, to say you one would never need to change amps is silly.

If you are satisfied with your speakers and the sound volume, the logical changes have to do with preamp or digital sources. Both can provide improved sound through your exhisting system.

I must comment that an integrated amplifer is a great way to save money as they eliminate redundancy. Further the interconnects are very important and are expensive but unnecessary with an integrated.

Some say the source is the first thing to upgrade, some say the speakers and some say the preamp, but I must say, unless there are volume problems that last thing you want to upgrade is the sexy power amplifier.

You are absolutely kidding, right? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cool miles said:
It is nice to have the ability to upgrade one piece at a time and that is why the system allows for bypass.

This is wrong. All previous responses are correct.

1) A power amp will stay with you forever. You just upgrade the pre-pro as needed.
2) An integrated-amp is not needed. You have the receiver as the pre-pro part of your system.
3) It is true that you don't have to use an external amp, but the quality and clarity of the audio at high levels will be greatly improved.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I use an Adcom 7605 with a Yamaha RX-V1400 as a pre-pro. Adcom performs very well for the price. They are available from One Call , Wild West , Audio Advisor , and RLA .

There will be no perceived loudness improvement. A distorted loudness seems louder than a clean loudness. Most misunderstand this. I can have a conversation with my system cranked. It remains clean. This is the improvement that an amp makes. :cool:

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I concur with Zumbo & others. Any quality 2/5 ch amp will have a better power supply than your receiver & will allow you greater flexibility in upgrading your speakers in the future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis