M

Moonlight

Audioholic Intern
Hi
My sister has a new HT setup and I've suggested she get a PVR to record TV shows and play them when convenient as she hits the sack around 8pm.
She has a 50'' Pioneer Kuro with a top model Denon receiver and Mission speakers & sub (lucky her - awesome set up!)
Besides choosing whether to get a HD Topfield, Tivo or Beyonwiz ( I have SD Topfield & Strong and favor the Toppy?) my query is about what is required to connect it? She got it from Big Picture People in Melb who I'm guessing atm only have Panasonics from memory and HN had also recommended the Pana for $1800. Only needs the basics.
It would normally be a good idea to get the PVR from where the HT was purchased, but wondering whether it is fairly easy to hook up a PVR ourselves as they are unlikely to recommend a PVR they don't sell.
Is it just a matter of getting a set of component cables + optical and connecting them to the receiver and then assigning the source?
I know a little but wary that things are often more complicated than we may think. Would it be better to get an installer to connect it and simply pay someone who knows what they are doing? Cheers

M

Moonlight

Audioholic Intern
Just saw a connection diagram. Looks like an HDMI cable from the STB direct to the TV monitor. Is this right? I'm not familiar with HD plasmas. I thought the audio is in the HDMI cable and therefore no need to run an optical cable from stb to the receiver?
If I sound confused it is because I am. Any assistanve appreciated.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hello Moonlight. I actually ran a search function at another extensive forum, looking for both Topfield and Beyonwiz, but didn't post here because the results were very sparse.

When I did find a post or two, it was normally quite favorable. Something like, "Oh I'm having trouble with my provider's DVR, but my trusty old Topfield/Beyonwiz does not have this problem".

Now, personally, I think these devices are a LOT of money, but that being said, when you pay that much, I am assuming that implementation, ergonomics or ease of use are well designed.

Sure, HDMI carries audio. And you can send it to the TV, and that works if she only wants TV audio.

Otherwise, yes you want an optical cable to the receiver. You can also instead run the HDMI direct to receiver, then on to the TV, but YMMV there. It's a worth a shot.

Part of the reason I didn't post here yesterday is because your query seems to be looking for guaranteed assurance, and that is the last thing I can really give you.

But, from my most cursory impressions, you are looking at nice units, and there isn't any reason to think they won't work. Choose the unit that has the feature set you desire.

Oh yes I remember one poster was comparing their Tivo side by side with either the Topfield or Beyonwiz, and they were having color issues with the Tivo.

M

Moonlight

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply jostenmeat.
If the HDMI cable has audio and it connects to the receiver, why the need for a separate optical cable to also connect to the receiver? The receiver must have an HDMI in and out to the TV so we would need 2 HDMI cables? If a separate optical cable is required, does this mean component cables can be used instead, and is there any diffence in quality, or is it just less cables?
I'm getting the impression from the forums sofar that the Tivo is easiest to use although smaller 160GB HD, the Beyonwiz appears to be the most popular choice (including Topfield)
Seeing recording in HD uses up more space, what is a good sized HD to get?
Of course it dependes on how many movies stored and deleting, but 160GB seems a bit small to me (even for SD)

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the reply jostenmeat.
If the HDMI cable has audio and it connects to the receiver, why the need for a separate optical cable to also connect to the receiver?
There isn't a need in this case, not normally anyways. The only fear, and it's a pretty small one, is some sort of HDCP/handshake issue, but I doubt you'll have issue. FWIW, some receivers do require FW updates to allow HDCP to work with certain manufacturers. For instance, Denon often needs to be updated to work with Panasonic displays.

The receiver must have an HDMI in and out to the TV so we would need 2 HDMI cables?
Yes, in this case. I'm voting for straight to TV with optical from PVR to receiver. No need to run it to receiver, except for pure convenience (one more button on remote), but OTOH there's a possibility of inconvenience with this route (receiver slow to switch HDMi sources, or that HDCP thing I talked about). You also get the ability to calibrate TV to more discrete source inputs, at least normally.

If a separate optical cable is required, does this mean component cables can be used instead, and is there any diffence in quality, or is it just less cables?
Technically, for HDTV, just less cables. HOWEVER, some STBs actually seem to look better with one connection or another, though many times it's identical. Funny how that works. As I've implied earlier, you will actually want to try em all out, if possible.

I'm getting the impression from the forums sofar that the Tivo is easiest to use although smaller 160GB HD, the Beyonwiz appears to be the most popular choice?
I don't know what's easier, but Tivo gets the most chatter by far. Here in the US, some people still call recording a show as "Tivo the show" or "Tivo-ing the show". Just as some people call a tissue as a Kleenex, or a photocopy as a Xerox.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey again, Moonlight, while helping someone out finding a plasma, I remembered that there is a "DTV TiVo dealer" here. Ask him some of your questions via PM perhaps. It might be that he only sells units for DirectTV use, but I'm sure he must know PVRs as well as anyone else here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/member.php?u=10091

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis