Adding a Power Amp to my set-up?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Absolutely true, but will only make a difference if the head room is put to use. Some people think the more powerful AT6000 will sound better than the AT4000 even though their amp never peaks near 100 W in their use. Amps in something like those in the SR8012 and ATI's should have no sound of their own, when used well within their output limit.
Yup. When used within their limits the sq didn't really change for me between my ATI-made amp and my SR6011 receiver. More power does not translate into better sq until you get into those higher volumes where the extra power is actually used.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you all for your expert opinion and advice!

To be perfectly clear, I am extremely satisfied with my equipment, just want the best sound I can achieve at low to medium listening levels.

I am a critical listener of two channel Audio, that being said, where do I go from here to further improve the sound?

Thanks guys!
I don't include myself among the experts here but 20+ yrs in this hobby and a fan of external amps.

As most have said, the lack of power is not your problem. If you wanted to take some load off your Pioneer to allow it to run cooler (maybe extending the shelf life) a power amp is not a bad investment.

But the truth is found by answering your last question...the speakers. Paradigm makes good speakers, Monitor 7 I've heard along with the 9 and 11 models...good stuff for the money especially.

The B&W line will offer a more warmer sound through the midrange....to avoid sticker shock I would focus on the 600 or 700 series. The Revel Concerta2 series is not a bad place to go from a pair M7s.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Thank you 2channel lover,

I have considered Paradigm Permier Series but will also consider your suggestion from B & W 600/700 series as I also really enjoy the sound and reputation of B&W speakers.

Thank you.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Again, I would like to thank you all for some very valid information and opinions! I think part of the problem is a proper EQ set up Mic with a much better, flatter response than my Pioneer MCACC Mic!
It is simply an Inadequate Mic, therefore I think a new Mic will solve most of my expectations, I will need to shop around for a new Mic, thanks again guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt a different mic for MCACC purposes would be meaningful as there's no way to change the mic calibration file. Getting a better measurement isnt a bad idea but how would you implement anr desired eq changes?

R

Rajith

Enthusiast
Yup. When used within their limits the sq didn't really change for me between my ATI-made amp and my SR6011 receiver. More power does not translate into better sq until you get into those higher volumes where the extra power is actually used.
Yes . Now I can easily take my system to reference volume .So I could hear more details in that .
Also earlier I have used an AMC power amp for SR8012 ,in which the sound signature was found to be neutral/little brighter .Later when I changed that to ATI power amp,the sound became similar to Marantz (warm sound) and I loved it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The B&W line will offer a more warmer sound through the midrange....to avoid sticker shock I would focus on the 600 or 700 series. The Revel Concerta2 series is not a bad place to go from a pair M7s.
I assume you found B&W "600 or 700 series" warmer than his Paradigm Monitor 7 from your auditioning experience, but would you know what contribute to their "warmer sound", from frequency response, distortions or some other reasons? Just curious..., wonder if it is an opinion based on your 20+ years experience, or other objective facts, or both.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes . Now I can easily take my system to reference volume .So I could hear more details in that .
Also earlier I have used an AMC power amp for SR8012 ,in which the sound signature was found to be neutral/little brighter .Later when I changed that to ATI power amp,the sound became similar to Marantz (warm sound) and I loved it.
If you can stand reference volume, you can surely hear more details. For those who can't, the option is to rely on dynamic EQ. I like DEQ a lot, but then again some people may feel it is too heavy handed at low volume. As for the "warm" thing, I don't buy that, other than the sound could sound less "warm" if warm is defined as lighter on bass, that could happen if an amp (a good amp otherwise) does not have sufficient headroom. What I don't buy is the Marantz, NAD, or whatever brand that has such signature. I am 99.99% sure that's just hearsay (likely true though originally, in the very old days) induced Placebo effects.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I assume you found B&W "600 or 700 series" warmer than his Paradigm Monitor 7 from your auditioning experience, but would you know what contribute to their "warmer sound", from frequency response, distortions or some other reasons? Just curious..., wonder if it is an opinion based on your 20+ years experience, or other objective facts, or both.
Opinion...most of my experience has been with the 800 series, but I've spent time with the 600 and 700 and I never really thought they were "warm" because I lived with them for so long...warm was norm for me. It wasn't until I started demoing other speakers that were considered neutral that I recognized the B&W signature sound was slightly warmer.

Contributing factors? I'm not that guy from an engineering standpoint, but I'm assuming they either build their drivers, or source them to a spec.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis