Adding a Bluetooth adapted to my receiver or just get an amp w/Bluetooth

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I have an older Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver wired to my outdoor patio speakers currently. My speaker are shot so I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Revel M80 speakers to replace them (still haven't installed them yet). I ordered a Bluetooth adapter so I could stream from my phone for this receiver but the guy at the audio shop said that it would sound better and be more versatile to replace the Yamaha with a sonos amp or a Denon Heos. I can understand the newer stuff having more versatility but I couldn't believe that they might also sound better than my Yamaha? What are your thoughts on either setup? I also seen that Sonos has a unit called the Port, that connects to the Yamaha and gives it the features of the Sonos amp but using my receiver. I don't know if that is worth getting, over the cheaper Bluetooth adapter from Logitech. Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks, Chuck

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use Chromecast Audio units for my pre-internet/wifi gear (discontinued but last I looked still some units available on ebay). I'd much rather use wifi than bluetooth in the home, it's getting better every year but when you can stream via wifi why bother? I don't plan on ever entering the Sonos universe, seems far too limited. I have older Denon avrs but doubt I'd find much use for the Heos. My outdoor speakers I use zone 2 off my older workshop receiver (and am listening to Spotify that way via the Chromecast Audio thing, using my phone as remote control, as the Spotify servers deliver right to CA unit rather than use the phone's BT). I do have a Tao Electronics bluetooth receiver for my truck, and it can easily be attached to a receiver but....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

You can get a bluetooth receiver with 2x RCA output to 2x RCA input on any receiver and you're good to go. $20 or less all day and it will sound the same as anything else that is costly. It's just transferring 0's and 1's. I use one and it's totally fine streaming FLAC output to it.

Someone trying to sell Sonos or Heos is just trying to sell you something. Avoid Sonos. Everything proprietary and locks you into an ecosystem that you have no control over. Heos is just Denon's app. All of this is just extra stuff to clutter it up when you can do everything with networking on an AVR or a bluetooth dongle frankly without all that fuss and use whatever you want.

Very best,

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
If all U want is BlueTooth playback capability, check this BT receiver out.
Was originally sold by HK for like $75, available from Amazon for a much lower price...

Just my $0.02... ;)

M

minime

Audiophyte
I also decided to use my RX-v3000 for my outdoor speakers.
But as an extra bonus I decided to link my BT Adapter installed on my RX-V3000 to my new Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver that have built in bluetooth.
So what I now are able to do is to stream my Plex media server through my RX-A3080 that I paired with the bluetooth adapter connected to my RX-V3000, which in turn allow me to connect and stream my entire media library to my outdoor speaker setup.
I generally I use Yamaha's Av Controller software (free to download for android devices) - From my PC I run Noxplayer as my android emulator that starts Yamaha AV Controller that in turn allow me to turn on my RX-A3080 amp remotely giving me pretty much full control of my RX-A3080 amp remotely.
Only thing I need to do is to turn on my RX-V3000 amp.

Only thing missing is to be able to control my RX-V3000 amp volume remotely.

Hope this somewhat complex setup makes sense.

Works wreally, wreally well with no issues

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis