Adding (2) Outdoor Speakers to (2) Existing

G

Gordon Bombay

Audiophyte
Hello, and thanks for your advice in advance!

I have an existing 2 speaker setup in my backyard pool/patio. They are mounted on each end of the house facing the patio/pool.

I just ran new 12AWG Direct Burial speaker wire to both speakers, and ran (2) additional lines to the back side of the patio pool to mount (2) additional outdoor speakers on some light posts.

I'm asking for advice on WHAT OUTDOOR SPEAKERS SHOULD I BUY for the (2) new speakers. Should I match the existing, match the ohms, match the watts? Does it matter?

Here are the specs:

Speakers powered from Sonos Connect (original version, not the new black slim one) (All 4 speakers running off this amp, acceptable per Sonos as long as all speakers have 8 OHMS Impedance)

Connect:Amp
Speaker Impedance - Watts per channel
8 Ohms - 55 Watts
6 Ohms - 82.5 Watts
4 Ohms - 110 Watts

Amplifier Output Details 55 Watt - 8 Ohm - 22 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.02% - 2 channels (main)
AMPLIFIEROutput Power / Total 110 Watt
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT DETAILS
Output Power / Channel 55 Watt
Output Impedance / Channel 8 Ohm
Frequency Response 22 - 20000 Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.02 %
Channel Type main
Channel Qty 2

The speakers I currently have installed (that were here when I purchased the house) are:

Dual LU53PW

Woofer Size
5 1/4"

Type
3-Way

RMS Power
60 Watts

Peak Power
125 Watts

Polypropylene Midrange (mm)
25mm

Piezo Dome Tweeter (mm)
20mm

Sensitivity (dB)

Frequency Resposnse
100Hz - 20kHz

Impedance
6-8 ohms

Cabinet Color
White"

Thank you for your help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Outdoor I don't think it really matters, but you will want to at least give them a listen if you can as quality can obviously vary. Dual as a brand is pretty basic, so if you are ok with their sound, something similar is probably fine.

Something that I picked up a few years ago were a fence post top that have LED lights and a speaker in one package. They don't stand out and they serve dual purpose. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HEART-SPEAKER-Powered-Outdoor-Landscape/dp/B07GBZPJG4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fence+post+speaker+outdoor&qid=1558625920&s=gateway&sr=8-3

G

Gordon Bombay

Audiophyte
Outdoor I don't think it really matters, but you will want to at least give them a listen if you can as quality can obviously vary. Dual as a brand is pretty basic, so if you are ok with their sound, something similar is probably fine.

Something that I picked up a few years ago were a fence post top that have LED lights and a speaker in one package. They don't stand out and they serve dual purpose. Like this:
Thanks for sharing your that speaker fence post option.

I am more concerned with the impedance requirement. Do you have any response to that?

Thank you!

G

Gordon Bombay

Audiophyte
Also, I just realized my existing speakers are not the LU53PW, but the LU43PW, so they are only 4-6 ohms and 50 watts RMS Power with 200 watts peak power, a 4" woofer. It sounds like I will have to replace these, as they are only 4-6 ohms and Sonos requires 8 ohms on a 4 speaker setup.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those speakers should not have a significant draw. A true 4 Ohm speaker might be a problem, but since it says 6 Ohm compatible, it will be fine if you add an 8 Ohm. 50W RMS is still a recommendation, not a requirement for them to play.

If you are concerned, I'd replace the existing ones at the same time and go with 4 8 Ohm speakers. The amp appears to "double down" (twice the power at 4 Ohms vs. 8Ohms)meaning it can actually handle a 4 Ohm load, but that's with just 2, 4 of them would likely strain it at elevated levels, thus their recommendation.

G

Gordon Bombay

Audiophyte
Those speakers should not have a significant draw. A true 4 Ohm speaker might be a problem, but since it says 6 Ohm compatible, it will be fine if you add an 8 Ohm. 50W RMS is still a recommendation, not a requirement for them to play.

If you are concerned, I'd replace the existing ones at the same time and go with 4 8 Ohm speakers. The amp appears to "double down" (twice the power at 4 Ohms vs. 8Ohms)meaning it can actually handle a 4 Ohm load, but that's with just 2, 4 of them would likely strain it at elevated levels, thus their recommendation.
Thanks for your advice, I think I should probably replace them with 4 new speakers to match. Sonos said make sure they are 8ohms only and 110Watts. So when I am looking for new speakers should I be looking for RMS to be 110 watts or Peak Power to be 110 watts?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, that would be peak, but if you can't find that exact spec, as long as they have a decent sensitivity level ~88-90+dB and are 8 Ohm, you should be OK, since these speakers tend to be smaller and easier to drive.

G

Gordon Bombay

Audiophyte
See the attached, which one do you think would be best, I think I would like the Dual LU53P's but I don't understand if they would be at 6 or 8 ohms, I need it to be 8.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis