Add wireless speakers to an existing setup

D

dude1

Audiophyte
I'd like to update my home audio setup, but I'm a bit lost in all the available equipment these days (haven't kept track of technology recently).

Current situation: streaming Spotify from my phone to a pair of amplified speakers where I plugged a bluetooth receiver.

Desired situation: keep these excellent $1,500 speakers in the living-room, but add small speakers in other rooms playing the same music.

I'm open to any solution: either keep things working over bluetooth or any sort wi-fi/media hub.

Once again, I'm not super updated recently.

Thanks

Attachments

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sonos, HEOS, google home, amazon echo, and many others will accomplish this. It really all depends on needs/budget.

I use google devices for this. They work well and can be found for a steal as long as super high quality audio isn't a must. Lots of people over the years gush over Sonos, but they aren't cheap.

There really are tons of options. Just depends on your needs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep even tho discontinued the Chromecast Audio is a very handy device for multi room audio with different systems....and still available new on ebay.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What you may get a handle on very quickly here is that Bluetooth is not for distributed audio, it's for point to point audio. You can't connect across multiple devices on the fly and have different things working in different ways. That work is not part of the design of the units. They are meant to be very simple paired devices.

So, to add wireless home options you will need devices designed for this. The Chromecast Audio (discontinued) was one of the best and cheapest options to do so. You could stream wirelessly from your phone to one or more of the units at the same time and control volume independently in each location.

The same is what @panteragstk recommended with units that are in production.

Like your current set of powered speakers, you will need to get speakers which can have a device plugged into it. Heos and Sonos are very popular devices for doing this. I haven't played with Echo in doing this, even though I have a number of them in my home. I probably should. It may be a nice inexpensive option for you.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yep even tho discontinued the Chromecast Audio is a very handy device for multi room audio with different systems....and still available new on ebay.
For a cheap, simple setup this is very difficult to beat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis