Add to BP7001SC subs

M

Maui95

Audiophyte
I have 2 BP7001SC Def Tech towers and a Def Tech CLR 300 Center channel. Looking to add a separate sub and looking for guidance on how to incorporate the Def Tech towers. I am looking at getting an SVS PB-200 Pro. Wanting to know thoughts on using this sub alone. or getting a Y-cable and using my Denon 4311CI to power the SVS and the Def Tech speakers on both LFE outputs the receiver has. Am I better off just using the SVS as the only sub? Using the SVS and the Def Tech subs together? Or maybe even getting 2 SVS PB-1000 subs? I am kinda new to all of this and mostly wanting this for Home theater. I will be updating my AVR later this year once Denon comes out with it's updated X6700H wit the new HDMI 2.1 chip later this year. All paired to my new 75" Samsung Q90T.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I had a PB-1000 and it's very good for the money but the PB-2000 Pro is on a completely different level. Now I'm using the PB-2000 Pro with the PB-1000 and it's really, really awesome. It blows me away every single day. I have never experienced bass in my home before.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 2 BP7001SC Def Tech towers and a Def Tech CLR 300 Center channel. Looking to add a separate sub and looking for guidance on how to incorporate the Def Tech towers. I am looking at getting an SVS PB-200 Pro. Wanting to know thoughts on using this sub alone. or getting a Y-cable and using my Denon 4311CI to power the SVS and the Def Tech speakers on both LFE outputs the receiver has. Am I better off just using the SVS as the only sub? Using the SVS and the Def Tech subs together? Or maybe even getting 2 SVS PB-1000 subs? I am kinda new to all of this and mostly wanting this for Home theater. I will be updating my AVR later this year once Denon comes out with it's updated X6700H wit the new HDMI 2.1 chip later this year. All paired to my new 75" Samsung Q90T.
I would use LFE just for the new sub(s), run the speakers with the full range signal and use your avr to set a crossover.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The 7001 have incredible output, so I’d do some testing in your room to see what you like best. I remember I’m my old house 7001 not having much output below 25hz. From 40-100hz they have massive output and will hit 118-120db of max spl. That’s more output then pb4000. You should get something better then pb1000. The pb2000 pro is probably ok but I’d look at hsu, Rythmik or Monoprice before svs. Really all depends on your budget.

M

Maui95

Audiophyte
Ok, I went and got the PB-2000 pro. Good god that thing is much bigger than I thought!
Was wondering about some speaker questions. I have the older BP7001SC towers and the CLR 3000 center channel. That center is huge and heavy. Does the sub that is on top do anything if I unplug the cord? I was thinking about Setting my TV on top of it if that’s possible, or maybe replacing it. But don’t want to replace the towers yet as I can’t afford all of that at once. It’s in a cabinet now below the TV, but I know that is not the best place as it’s not even close to ear level and I can’t prop it up in the front as it’s too big. Just live with it? I’d like at some point to replace the three front soundstage speakers anyway. Maybe a good start with the center. Thoughts? Just got new SR-9080s to add to my older BPX surrounds so now I’ll have a 7.1 system. Just use the Audessy XT32 on my Denon 4311CI to set up the whole system now that I have a separate sub and 7.1 system? Let it set everything as I don’t know anything about crossovers and all that stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're serious about wanting to improve your sound quality the first thing I'd do is a little rearranging so your center can be properly positioned. Otherwise I think you'd be better off just going without and use phantom center mode.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't worry much about a tv on a speaker, most can handle the load and unless you have an old crt tv, any lack of shielding in the speaker wouldn't be an issue.

Even if you use Audyssey to do setup, sometimes you still have to make some changes to the settings the avr makes (and it is really the avr manufacturer overriding Audyssey recommendation of just starting with a crossover of 80hz and all speakers set to "small").

M

Maui95

Audiophyte
I wouldn't worry much about a tv on a speaker, most can handle the load and unless you have an old crt tv, any lack of shielding in the speaker wouldn't be an issue.

Even if you use Audyssey to do setup, sometimes you still have to make some changes to the settings the avr makes (and it is really the avr manufacturer overriding Audyssey recommendation of just starting with a crossover of 80hz and all speakers set to "small").
Thanks lovin. My thing with my center channel is it’s a Def Tech CLR3000 and has a sub on top. If I unplug that, is it not working and I can put my TV on top of it?
As for the Audessy XT32, I will use it to set everything I guess and then come back on here and see if I need to adjust anything.
waiting till end of summer to upgrade the AVR as I hear that is when Denon will upgrade the 2.1 HDMI board to fix its problems. Not a gamer, but want it to work right just in case I ever am :). Looking at the X6700. I want the newer sound formats, eARC, wireless internet hookup, Bluetooth, among other stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks lovin. My thing with my center channel is it’s a Def Tech CLR3000 and has a sub on top. If I unplug that, is it not working and I can put my TV on top of it?
As for the Audessy XT32, I will use it to set everything I guess and then come back on here and see if I need to adjust anything.
waiting till end of summer to upgrade the AVR as I hear that is when Denon will upgrade the 2.1 HDMI board to fix its problems. Not a gamer, but want it to work right just in case I ever am :). Looking at the X6700. I want the newer sound formats, eARC, wireless internet hookup, Bluetooth, among other stuff.
Yeah just pulled up more info and a picture for that speaker. Strange speaker with a powered woofer on top like that. Does the driver stick out above the cabinet of the speaker to prevent something on top if not using? Maybe just build a riser to protect the woofer from the tv and that would allow the woofer to be active as well. I wouldn't put the tv on a driver's surround or cone, tho some stands I've seen might clear it.

Curious, if you're not a gamer (I'm not either) just what do you expect HDMI 2.1 to do for you? It would be nice to gain use of some of the newer features of an updated avr, like the Audyssey editor app and some of the wifi/internet features but I don't source audio from a tv so HDMI 2.1/eARC doesn't mean much to me.

M

Maui95

Audiophyte
Yep, I am just gonna get some 2x12s and build a riser for the TV to sit on and the center with sub to be underneath with a couple inches to spare. So I know Gene is not a fan of upward firing Dolby Atmos speakers, but I can't mount them in the ceiling. So looking at a pair of KEF Q50's. Will sit them on top the Def Tech BP7001SC towers. Great part is my ceiling is slanted down in the front, so should bounce off great. Anyone have these or other ones they think are better (these are about as pricey as I want to get for my first ones). Of course I will wait till I get my New Denon or Marantz Dolby Atmos enabled receiver later this summer. And from what I have read Lovin, there is so much more to having 2.1 than just gaming. SO I want it to work right as you see I don't upgrade often (current 4311CI).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, I am just gonna get some 2x12s and build a riser for the TV to sit on and the center with sub to be underneath with a couple inches to spare. So I know Gene is not a fan of upward firing Dolby Atmos speakers, but I can't mount them in the ceiling. So looking at a pair of KEF Q50's. Will sit them on top the Def Tech BP7001SC towers. Great part is my ceiling is slanted down in the front, so should bounce off great. Anyone have these or other ones they think are better (these are about as pricey as I want to get for my first ones). Of course I will wait till I get my New Denon or Marantz Dolby Atmos enabled receiver later this summer. And from what I have read Lovin, there is so much more to having 2.1 than just gaming. SO I want it to work right as you see I don't upgrade often (current 4311CI).
Unless you have streaming that doesn't exist yet, maybe if you have a game console connected primarily to your tv, but no, don't think 2.1 will have much effect. What do you think it brings is more important, tho....

As to ceiling mounting, you could get creative even with a vaulted ceiling but personally I find my own regularly type ceiling to much of a pain to install Atmos speakers into, but really have no desire to upgrade everything for bouncy speakers either. I would like to experience a good installation in any case, but....

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I had a clr3000 for 10 years, try letting the sub breathe on top. So no risers or cabinets around it, wall mount that tv. Bp7001 and clr3000 are excellent speakers that are true full range. If you unplug amp on clr3000 the 10” sub on top won’t work and you’ll be left with 2 6.5” mids in a sealed box. It’ll sound ok but kinda thin and lacking. Sandy Gross recommended this way to hook up definitive to me years ago. I had clr3000, bp7000sc, bp7001 and bpvx as surround backs. If you aren’t running an amp and you have preouts do this. On clr3000 remove jumpers going from mid to lows on back. That jumper is what sub uses on center channel to sense signal to work. By removing it the sub now uses the rca input on back. Hook that rca up to center channel preout on your denon. This will give you the cleanest sound possible.

Now bp7001 you have…. You can set them up multiple ways as well. Set to large and forget about any more work. Sandy again recommended this other way, I had two trinity subs flanking my bp7000sc. Trinity are incredible subs too, equal to subs like pb4000. You’ll set bp7001sc to small and run lfe to sub preout on each tower. Now if your pb2k is up front you’ll use a y splitter with the tower it’s next to. So they’ll measure same Delay being next to each other. This will maximize your headroom and give you way more mid bass slam.

If you really get crazy get another pb2k and mini dsp for all 4 separate sub channels. In room the 7001 will have 3-5db more output then pb2k from 30-125hz. Below 30hz the pb2k will fill in the rest. With mini dsp you could have one heck of impressive theater.

M

Maui95

Audiophyte
Ok, I went and got the PB-2000 pro. Good god that thing is much bigger than I thought!
Was wondering about some speaker questions. I have the older BP7001SC towers and the CLR 3000 center channel. That center is huge and heavy. Does the sub that is on top do anything if I unplug the cord? I was thinking about Setting my TV on top of it if that’s possible, or maybe replacing it. But don’t want to replace the towers yet as I can’t afford all of that at once. It’s in a cabinet now below the TV, but I know that is not the best place as it’s not even close to ear level and I can’t prop it up in the front as it’s too big. Just live with it? I’d like at some point to replace the three front soundstage speakers anyway. Maybe a good start with the center. Thoughts? Just got new

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I wouldn't unplug the powered speaker on your center. From your description I'd either find a better spot for that or just pull it out altogether. I'll bet it sounds better in phantom mode, with the towers pulling center channel duty.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and congrats on the new sub! It's worth the effort to take some time figuring out placement and dialing it in. That's a great sub. Set up properly it's gonna sound awesome!

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
What’s your budget when you look for new speakers? Those definitive were over $5000 for those three and that was many years ago. It would be hard to get something better for under $3000. Definitely don’t unplug the center channel low frequency 10”. Can you wall mount the tv?

Maybe if these definitive are too hard to setup or your room just needs a different type of speaker just sell them. 7001 in good shape sell for about $1500 and clr3000 about $500. I still have a set of bp7000 that I just recently got back out. Have had them for 15+ years. I was blown away how great they still sound. Was thinking about doing rew to show response. Few years back I did 7001 and it blew people away. Was 115-120db from 30-100hz in room. Even had over 100db at 20hz. This was an era when definitive overbuilt it’s speakers and at the top of their game.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Was wondering about some speaker questions. I have the older BP7001SC towers and the CLR 3000 center channel. That center is huge and heavy. Does the sub that is on top do anything if I unplug the cord? I was thinking about Setting my TV on top of it if that’s possible, or maybe replacing it. But don’t want to replace the towers yet as I can’t afford all of that at once. It’s in a cabinet now below the TV, but I know that is not the best place as it’s not even close to ear level and I can’t prop it up in the front as it’s too big. Just live with it? I’d like at some point to replace the three front soundstage speakers anyway. Maybe a good start with the center. Thoughts? Just got new
How much space is there around it? If it's a fairly tight fit I can't imagine it sounding very good with the up firing woofer. There's no harm in unplugging the powered section and hearing how it sounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much space is there around it? If it's a fairly tight fit I can't imagine it sounding very good with the up firing woofer. There's no harm in unplugging the powered section and hearing how it sounds.
Yup, agreed. You could always try it and see what you think, but I'd put some more effort into proper placement otherwise you may as well not even use a center.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis